Read 38 comments as:
Filter By
I'm including even NLSIU here. On reflection, after 5 years of an NLU education and 10 years of working in India, do you feel it better to send your kids abroad in even a relatively less prestigious law school abroad than NLSIU? For example, SMU in Singapore, or Manchester or Liverpool in the UK, or Osgoode Hall or UBC in Canada, or Deakin in Australia?

Incidentally, there has been a case where a person once declined NLSIU to study for an LLB in Singapore (though NUS not SMU).
I graduated from NLSIU and I’m honoured to have studied there. However, the living conditions in the hostels will put me off from sending my kids to study there, if I choose to have kids. This is just me being brutally honest - it doesn’t take away from the excellent library and top-quality education provided at NLSIU. So maybe if hostels are renovated, then sure yes! Also, I shudder to think of the competition kids have to face in the next 15-20 years to make it to the top colleges! Frankly, I think developed countries provide a kind of β€˜insurance’ where one can still lead a good life without graduating from an NLU. That said, jobs and salaries have been steadily rising in India so I’m hopeful for a better future.
I've been to NLSIU hostels plenty of times. The only people who cannot bear to live there even during their student lives are entitled brats. For them, there's always Jindal.
I’m sure this is a tone-deaf man commenting. Be a woman, know what it is, and see how disgusting the washrooms are. Maybe you have a non-existent sense of hygiene or you’re just someone who is content with less/lazy to work for more. Clearly you’re a man because you couldn’t have seen women’s hostels. For non-aspirational people like you, Jindal is unaffordable :P
Please feel free to aspire to Jindal. After all, you didn't earn the money, so why hesitate to squander it? If the washrooms are that bad, why not ask the alum VC to get those cleaned up? Or is all your activism limited to pride parades?
NLS alum here. The living conditions in (Men's) hostels are quite fine. If you want to make them swanky and plush, it costs money that can be better spent elsewhere. This is among the more entitled excuses that I've heard.
If they want to work in india it would make sense for them to study in an Indian law school. I would push them to try much harder than is required by the NLUs though.
Living/studying/working abroad >>> Living/studying/working in India any day.
You have no idea about what you are saying. You are probably one of those people who grew up watching DDLJ and thought abroad looks beautiful. Life abroad is not better than India, at all.
You are right. It is very difficult having to live without any pollution.
NLSIU is the #1 law school in Asia and is much better than the ones named above. Harvard and Oxford would rather admit an NLSIU grad than a grad from an obscure law school like Liverpool or Osgoode Hall. Magic Circle firms would rather higher grads from NLSIU than Canada or Singapore, or third-tier places like Manchester and Liverpool. Have any of these law schools ever won an A-list moot or the Rhodes scholarship? How many top partners have they produced? We should not be obsessed with white skin and assume that any random college abroad is better than NLSIU.
Are you serious when you say NLS has produced more Magic Circle partners than Manchester? Ka phoonke ho bhai?
This comment is perfect for the why NLSIU is great thread. It tries so hard that it ends up trolling itself.
Again, this obsession with abroad.

Why on earth do these thoughts come to you? Do you feel interior, by being in India?

The career prospects in India are great, have some sense of nationalism and love for your country. Encourage your children to take it forward.

If you follow successful people in other fields, you will see that most of the people are returning from abroad to India, as India is the place to be right now. This decade is India's decade.
Yes uncle. You are right. We are underperforming on GDP since demonetisation. We are in trouble in our own neighbourhood. We are busy apologising to half the world. We have a serious unemployment crisis. We have terrible social harmony. And we are underpaid compared to our peers in foreign firms. Kyunki aap rent nahi bharte iska matlab yeh nahi ke aur koi nahi bharta. And going abroad doesn’t mean you care less about your country - India is surviving the downturn on NRIs sending back foreig currency savings. Kaunsi duniya mein rehte ho bhai?
Explain economics to uncle about how even the poor in this country benefit from the foreign remittance by the NRIs. Not as much as they should, but still some.
WhatsApp university ke psuedo nationalist ko kaise samjhaoge. Unless you convert everything into a binary for them they will not follow. Let it be.
Explain economics to uncle about how even the poor in this country benefit from the foreign remittance by the NRIs. Not as much as they should, but still some.
haha, no please explain. And also answer how a person working abroad contributes more to the Indian economy than a person working in India. People like you have zero understanding of economics but still make big claims.

Dude, no matter how you look at it, one is better of in India as a lawyer and its also better for the country.

Stop your obsession with white skin.
In case you have not been reading the dailies, the RBI and the Indian Government have taken a slew of measures to assuage the falling forex situation. That's makes remittances pretty important, one would guess, no?

Besides, India is by far the largest recipient of remittances, to the tune of about $87 billion per year (WB, 2021), and these receipts amount to about 3.1 percent of the GDP - which, in terms of the GDP, is massive. Remittances are absolutely instrumental for developing countries such as ours because they play a multidimensional role - make lives easier for those who receive them and they make imports cheaper, for one, which is sorely needed (see prices of oil). India is pretty much a 'remittance giant' and the dilemma that comes with it, i.e., remittance is preceded by a visible 'brain drain' of the receiving economy - which you have an issue with - is pretty much a symptom of how the Int'l system is shaped - a symptom rather than the disease, if you will. In that sense, remittances can even play a counter-cyclical role in times like today (where the rupee is falling against a strong dollar, making remittances more important not only to the economy (see imports point) but also to an individual household)

Career prospects may be great in India but them's the breaks.
Osgoode Hall is not obscure. Neither is SMU. Every university in India is competitive because of its population size. How many people come from other countries to get degrees here? What percentage of alumni have international careers?
I would say go for NLSIU over any foreign university except Oxbridge and Ivy Leagues. Law firms around the world know about NLSIU and are in awe of NLSIU grads. Any Magic Circle firm will pick an NLSIU grad over a Warwick or Manchester grad.
What other insights you have? When NLS grad walks into a compound do KJo movies music play in the background? Do background dancers suddenly appear and start dancing? Do people chant their name so loud that the earth shakes a la Bahubali?
If they make it to Law School, I will advice that. Ivy/Oxbridge can wait for masters.
It would honestly depend on the end goal. If the goal is to settle abroad (whether Singapore or the West), hands down sending the kid to study abroad would increase the job prospects in the local market. That is not to say that one cannot find a job in those markets at a later stage, but more often than not that path is more convoluted and becomes more difficult to access with efflux of time. Moreover, the learning curve in a jurisdiction would be easier if you're already a product of the local education system at some level.

On the other hand, if the intention is to work in India, then the kid will be better off studying in India and learning the toxicity in the profession early on.

In so far as quality of life is concerned (non-monetary benefits like air quality, public infrastructure), most foreign cities would fare better than Indian cities.

Having said that, the biggest con would be that you would continue to be a second-class citizen in any other jurisdiction whether you've been there for 1 month or 10 years.

Personally, I would send my kid to the US but not to study law but a STEM subject like engineering perhaps. Why would i subject her to the toxicity that comes with corporate legal practice in India when she can earn more working fewer hours in less toxic work environments.
Very simple. If you have the money, it's better any day to send your child abroad. Even if you look at IIT, IIT Bombay is ranked just 150 in QS. Much better to go to Manchester or Glasgow or Edinburgh of Warwick or Birmingham or Liverpool than IITB. We are it awe of IITB because of the quality of alumni, but these colleges have even better alumni (Nobel laureates, heads of state etc ). And the infrastructure and faculty is much better. In fact, like NLU alumni, IIT alumni prefer to do a PhD abroad and teach abroad. Also, the IITB alumni who became CEOs of global companies did so because they have degrees from foreign universities.

Don't follow "Sharmaji ka beta". Follow "Bill Gates ji ka beta"!
Parents bhi nepo and privileged

Bachche bhi nepo and privileged

Both will go for law.
I know an NLU alum whose child went abroad to study law despite cracking CLAT (top 6 NLU) and AILET.