Read 22 comments as:
Filter By
Any thoughts on how to tailor your professional front (law firm/ in-house work, specialized experience, certifications etc.) in order to move abroad after a few years of doing corporate law at a small law firm in India? I do not have the time or resources to do a full foreign LLM.
Please stop this obsession to go abroad. Stay in India and build your career here. There is nothing glamorous about abroad.
And please stop this moral policing on every post about going abroad. Sabki apni preferences hoti hain
Yes, that's true. But the problem that you fail to see is that these preferences are to an extent conditioned by mindless glorification done in the society about abroad, for example this thread.

Secondly, it's not moral policing if I have a stand against brain drain. It's plain and simple nationalism.

Lastly, seriously, why abroad? Life is great here.
Not OP or 1.1.1, but two things here:

1. You say there is a 'mindless glorification' of going abroad and yet you practice the same for life here. If you think your last line '[W]hy abroad? Life is great here.' is neither glorification nor mindless, congratulations you have successfully scammed yourself into chains that you will never notice because you never move (so you do not feel the chains and they do not make a sound).

2. If your answer to brain drain is forced patriotism instead of striving for better conditions overall to make India attractive for top talent, congratulations you have scammed yourself of intellect for a second time. If you attempt to fix the symptom (brain drain) instead of the disease (that the Indian system simply is not good enough socially/economically), you will keep on trying for the next one hundred years while all talent moves out of India to rightfully produce incredible value in countries where their talent is actually valued.

Just so that I am honest to myself here, I work abroad and am dying to come to India because of aging parents, but every time I look at the prospects there, I am depressed. Even a simple thing as a bank certificate or passport either requires me to go from pillar to post or to bribe everyone involved. Not to mention that I would have no universal healthcare (I have quite the list of medical conditions requiring constant care) or functional public transport/high speed rail or good air quality or actual work-life balance. My twenty year old self would laugh at me saying this, but public services are cheaper (and phenomenal) abroad.
Tatkal passports are issued in one day, come on! You’d be surprised to see how bureaucratic some EU countries are. Don’t criticise without knowing facts.
You know that one example does not negate the intent of Guest's comment at 1.1.2.A.1.
Guest @1.1.1.A.1: The OP here. Thank you for the reply! Since you seem to have significant experience abroad, may I ask what is your area of practice? I have experience in PE VC transactions at a boutique law firm. If my goal is to move abroad in a few years, should I work at one of the T1 firms or in-house at a VC firm? Any suggestions that you feel may be helpful will be deeply appreciated.
Guest @1.1.1.A.1: The OP here. Thank you for the reply! Since you seem to have significant experience abroad, may I ask what is your area of practice? I have experience in PE VC transactions at a boutique law firm. If my goal is to move abroad in a few years, should I work at one of the T1 firms or in-house at a VC firm? Any suggestions that you feel may be helpful will be deeply appreciated.
Life is great here and pretty damn comfortable for most people on this platform I’m sure. The sense of familiarity you feel in your own country remains unmatched and I say this having experienced living abroad. That said, everyone’s priorities are different. While convenience and proximity to family might matter more to some, clean air, the ability to be in a place where you can travel and see the world (read UK) and safety might matter more to others. Specifically in corporate law, I’d say the life at Tier 1s in India as it stands today is just not worth it. The hours are equally bad abroad but if it’s the US atleast you’d get handsomely compensated for that level of hard work. I’d leave in a heartbeat for that reason alone, atleast for a few years.
I used to work for a tier 1 law firm and moved to Europe for a LLM and am now working in Europe. I can confirm that the work-life balance across the board (law firm, in-house, consulting, academia, policy) is excellent. No one is expected to work beyond 6:30 pm, weekends are sacred. In fact, the HR has actually called me up to remind me to take leave as they were about to expire. On top of that, bosses are much nicer, hierarchies are flat, and they appreciate when you go the extra mile to do something. With respect to pay, honestly, the difference is not that much (savings will roughly be the same/a little more than what a mid level associate in a tier 1 will save in India) as the taxes are really high and rent is super expensive easily hitting around 1.5 to 2.5 lakhs (depending on city and location) a month for a good 2 bedroom apartment.
Reply to Guest123 @1.1.2: This is the OP, thank you for your comment! Given your experience in Europe, I'm really interested in having your views on the following matters in the context of moving abroad:

1. Area of practice: What is your area of specialization? I've done PE VC transactions at a boutique firm for a few years. I'd like your view on whether you recommend I now get some experience at a T1 law firm or in-house at a VC firm. Do keep in mind my goal is to move abroad after a year or two at this next job.

2. Foreign LLM: Is it necessary if I want to work at a firm in Europe?

3. Language: Assuming you're in continental Europe, did you have to learn the country's language after you moved there?

Many thanks again for your time!
People move abroad for various reasons. I know someone who lost their family and sweetheart within a year and couldn't bear to stay on in the country stamped with memories anymore. We don't know OP's situation so let's not say stupid things just because things may be easy for us.
True. But the way to overcome heartbreak is not to leave ones country. Also, my point is much broader, we need to get over this inferiority complex and stop thinking about abroad. Abroad is fine for vacations.
I am working abroad for a Dubai-based law firm. You need to upskill yourself and subject matter expertise in what you are doing. I got directly hired through 4 months of internship.
Since you are from Dubai based firm, I am also obsessed with Dubai culture, can you please light on how you got 4 month internship there. I am from JMI Delhi, does it is a bumper in my career!
Which practise areas can enable us to move abroad? No scope for litigation at all ?
I'm a disputes lawyer working in international arbitration in the middle east. Fair number of people move after a few years in tier 1 disputes teams. International arbitration translates pretty well between jurisdictions. Find these firms and apply.
Obtain a visa, book a flight from Banglur to Singapore. Work at a PO Box laa shaap.