Read 22 comments as:
Filter By
Just trying to guess what Modi will do. Just a matter of days left for the candidate to be announced. Other possible legal names:

- Justice Dipak Mishra
- Justice Gogoi
- Bimal Patel
I will make all efforts to leave this god forsaken land if BimPa is the next President, just thinking about it makes life unbearable
Seriously?

Rajnath Singh might become. or Naidu. They might get someone like an Anandiben Patel too.
Naidu will be the govt pick if they decide to change the President (which they may not)
Arif Mohd. Khan, the Governor of Kerala.
Anandiben Patel, the Governor of UP.
Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi.
Manoj Sinha, the Governor of Kasmir.
1. The President is a legal person. They have to be. Only a natural person can hold office. All natural persons are also legal persons under law.

2. The current President is a lawyer. He was an AOR before the appointment.

3. The next President of India may or may not be from the legal fraternity. Front runners for me this election are Amarinder Singh and Arif Mohammed Khan. They are both suitable candidates and serve the ornamental role that the President has to do well.
the govt wants a do-gooder who will stay in line and not speak out of turn or criticize any move. There are plenty of yes-men in the party and becoming President etches your name in history. Probably some guy from a certain electoral block / community where they need more reach and popularity will be made the rubber st.....sorry....President!
Sometime ago, Mahua Moitra had said that senior advocate and current West Bengal Governor Jagdeep Dhankar would be the rewarded with the post of Vice President. So if any lawyer will be president of Vice President it will be him.

https://www.timesnownews.com/india/west-bengal/article/jagdeep-dhankhar-vs-mahua-moitra-officers-on-special-duty-not-part-of-my-close-family-says-west-bengal-governor/767206
Modi always wants low profile people who will not overshadow him. Nobody had heard of Ram Nath Kovind. They say he was a lawyer before but hardly anyone heard of him.
Bjp is smart enough to ensure that no political person becomes the president!
People underestimate the nuisance value a president can bring.
It will definitely be someone low profile!
I want to see Nariman as the President. But that's just a dream.
On the contrary, the next President would likely be a Muslim since BJP wants to appease the Islamic countries after the prophet row.
Modiji is too much of a narcissist to have anyone remotely overshadow him. That's why you have RNK, the least photogenic president in history.

It will be someone you've never ever heard of, but belongs to some Hindu or quasi-Hindu minority group that BJP wants to appease. A no name scheduled tribe perhaps. Extra brownie points if a woman scheduled tribe.