Read 11 comments as:
Filter By
I am currently in the first year of my law school. This year only, I participated in two ADR competitions and lost abominably in both of them- couldn’t make it past the prelim rounds. Both these events have led me to experience a lot of dejection and disappointment; the aggravating factor being the judges who don’t give any constructive feedbacks in why you lost. They, most often than not and quite paradoxically , paint a very hunky-dory picture in front of you often even going to extent of saying “all the best for the quarter finals.” I fell that I have reached my ebb already and my confidence is at an all time low. All This, especially when you see first year students of other colleges reaching even the finals of national moots, makes you feel that you’re good for nothing. I truly don’t know where I am going wrong. The worst part of all is my college’s recalcitrant attitude. Not much help is provided and you are left to languish in the catacombs due to the ‘you were simply not good enough attitude’. This might seem to be a really trivial issue for y’all, but for someone who had won a lot many debate and MUN competitions in school, it’s really tolling. Keeping in mind the aforementioned, any and every (constructive) leads/help will be appreciated!
Well....before you consider yourself an absolute dud and ruin more opportunities, consider the possibility that those winning moots and competitions around you were fated to win those because of the backgrounds they come from.

They most likely had better grounding in law because of parents, or friends, or mentorships. They have better network to rely upon for getting tips. They have more experience in reading or presenting in front of an audience. The seeds of their victory were laid couple of years ago.

So what you gotta do is - understand that the gap is not because you are a dud, but because your experience and support system may not be as deep and wide as those who manage to win such competitions.

So all you gotta do is build the support system and gain that depth and width to your knowledge and skill-sets. Keep at it. The seeds of your victory 4 years ahead will be laid today.
It takes time. Trust me once you do it 5-6 times (regardless of the output), you'll start seeing the light.
Chill karo - 1st year mein you are still learning and can’t possibly beat senior competitions who know how the process works. Instead focus on participating more and more and in a few more attempts you’ll discover your style and start doing well. Itna stress leke no point - it’s a very long road ahead. Don’t be so hard on yourself!
I remember my first year, only agenda was to manage booze. Kids nowadays are very serious about life.
Yeah and it stayed the same in the 5th year for me. Is that bad?
This is my agenda going into fifth year. No point stressing. Things will happen when they have to.
This is how I typed after I read Word Power Made easy for first time