Read 7 comments as:
Filter By
1. How do one take membership of
a. Delhi Bar Association
b. Supreme Court Bar Association

2. What are the benefits of taking above membership?

3. I'm enrolled with Delhi Bar Council and have cleared the AIBE exam.
a. Can I practice law in any court of the country?
b. If no, please advise the further steps. I wish to appear before the High Courts in UP and MP also alongwith the Delhi High Court.
c. Since I have cleared AIBE exam, can I appear before the Supreme Court? I understand that I can't do filing as only AORs can do it. I'm not sure about the appearances.

4. I have seen an old application form of Supreme Court Bar Association and it requires signature from Advocates having standing of 10+ years. I have zero contact. How do I get this done?

Guys, please help!
Seriatim Reply:

1. How do one take membership of
a. Delhi Bar Association
b. Supreme Court Bar Association

Fill up a form, pay the application fee.

2. What are the benefits of taking above membership?

You will have access to the Bar Room. You will be able to vote in Bar Council Elections as the voters list is prepared in coordination with the Bar Association. Bar Associations will have other facilities like canteens, toilets, printers etc that are useful. Bar Association membership is now mandatory unless you file an exemption form with the Bar Council explaining how you will take benefit of welfare schemes without a bar membership. The officers of the Bar Association will also help you get your experience certificates and letters of good standing as and when you need them in the future.

3. I'm enrolled with Delhi Bar Council and have cleared the AIBE exam.
a. Can I practice law in any court of the country?

Yes

b. If no, please advise the further steps. I wish to appear before the High Courts in UP and MP also alongwith the Delhi High Court.

You can appear. But you will have to check if you can file Vakalatnama on your own. Some states mandate a locally enrolled lawyer only be entitled to file a Vakalatanama. These will be in the rules framed by the High Court under the Advocates Act.

c. Since I have cleared AIBE exam, can I appear before the Supreme Court? I understand that I can't do filing as only AORs can do it. I'm not sure about the appearances.

Yes you can.

4. I have seen an old application form of Supreme Court Bar Association and it requires signature from Advocates having standing of 10+ years. I have zero contact. How do I get this done?

Go to the bar room. Say hello to people. Introduce yourself. This requirement is so you get to know people in the profession as law is a social profession. Ask the person at the counter, he will do the introduction to get your signature. Office bearers will be happy to sign so you can vote for them!

Guys, please help!

Helped.
Is it really mandatory? What are the repercussions if I don't take membership? I am enrolled from last 4 years. Not even once this was required.
Yes it is. No active repercussions as of now. But you will face trouble renewing you COP and you will probably be taken off the voters list. Voting for your Bar Council is VITAL for you to push change and improve your life. So please don't take it lightly and make sure you get your name on that voters list.
I've completed law this month. What's the process of getting registered with the state bar council and AIBE. Can anyone help me with the process?