Read 14 comments as:
Filter By
Do associates at all or any seniority levels take offence when interns/juniors say they can't take up work say over the weekend or late at night?
Absolutely not! They would be more than happy to pull all nighters just so that their juniors can savour there weekends.
This happens in practically all the firms!
Not personal offense.
One interns only for few months in a year. If the student is trying to convert it to a PPO, he will try to remain available. If he is not, work will be allotted to another intern, and he will not be given an excellent review.
Junior associates neednto be willing to put in the grind. Plain and simple. Weve all been there weve all done ti. Nothing makes you more special that you cna give half the effort and still suceed
Junior associates need to understand that just because you are in a law firm, it does not take away from the fact that you are in a profession that requires burning the midnight oil to achieve brilliance. Harish Salve did it as did Jethmalani.

Just like doctors, being a lawyer is really tough the first 7-8 years. So prepare yourself and your family mentally and draw the analogy - it is the first few foundational years that the grind is inevitable. After that there is at least some sort of a choice. Enjoy the fact that you get paid a lot (esp in T1/T2 - compared to docs, for sure!)

If you want to watch Dr. strange over work on the DD, it is a valid lifestyle choice but it will not make you the best lawyer you can be. You'll permanently plateau in your career rather than soar... basically embrace the grind, the rewards are sweet.
Genuine question: how do you have time for LI when you are burning the midnight oil?
Who said I'm soaring in my career? I've made a conscious choice and moved in house to a large FMCG. I don't crib about it.

The problem is law firm guys want our lifestyle but law firm salaries (and the "prestige" of doing more intellectual jobs!)
Better to plateau than waste away your life. You get one life, it’s too short to be slaving it away in a law firm for seniors who think like you.
Depends on urgency - if a transaction is exploding and it’s all hands on deck then everyone is expected to chip in.
They won't be happy with it. They may not take offense but you probably will be considered as unreliable. The consequence of that is that you may not get staffed on important matters or with important clients.
This reaction is actually expected once in a while from Junior Associates. It depends on the way it's said, how many times per year it's said etc.

Juniors - nothing can be done, we will get frustrated.

Interns - nothing can be done, we will get frustrated. No call back/assessment Internships.

Interns who are trying for PPO - telling this can be a PPO killer.

Also, interns are rarely asked to sit late nights.