Read 50 comments as:
Filter By
Quote:
At NLUO Hindu nationalist groups have been present for half a decade. In April 2022, there was a large Nazi swastika drawn on a wall of the boys’ hostel.
I never heard about it on social media or LI. Is it true or not? If yes, what action was taken against the Hindu nations students plus the boys who drew the Nazi sign? In the West this would have led to expulsion.

https://twitter.com/thecaravanindia/status/1521723798252183560
Which law in India currently prohibits the drawing of the Swastika? The subtle differences between the original symbol, which stands for good things actually, and the nazi version is difficult to spot in crude drawings I guess.
This is very true. Swastika has Indian origins. It appears, people are more driven by western sensitivities [westerners may have their own reasons concerning Swastik] than that of Indian. In India, Swastika denotes completely different and positive thought.
Well how is Nazi Swatika different from the Hindu Swastika? How do you differentiate?
Nazi symbol (hakenkreuz) is at a different angle from the Hindu Swastika.
Not necessary. A tilted swastik is still a Hindu Swastika. Swastika with different angles are often used in tantra.
To the idiots objecting to his comment, Hitler stole Swastika from us and misappropriated it that in no way means that we should refrain from using it, considering how holy it is to us, irrespective of what angle it is placed at. And for the colonial slaves trying to please their master, read the article by the white man's official portal below
https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-29644591
What actually happened was that some boys had to give up their single rooms to some girls and shift to double sharing. So they drew all manner of shit on their walls (including a swastika) before vacating their rooms. That's all there is to it.
Aww how cute.

So guys basically defaced and destroyed property, because they had to give up their rooms.

Now whats interesting here is, (a) one set is saying it was a Hindu symbol, (b) while the other side is saying its a Nazi symbol.

LOL. If its (a) what does that mean? you wanted to add religious symbols to the room to make future tenants of potentially other religions uncomfortable? Given that you drew it as a form of protest? (b) If it is the Nazi hakenkreuz, drawn as a form of protest, its still bad no? That just means you subscribe to the ideology? Or find it acceptable no? And also want to make the future tenants uncomfortable?

Basically, either you are using (a) a holy symbol of prosperity as a symbol of protest and defacing property to make others uncomfortable or (b) using a hate symbol which stands for really terrible and evil humans to have lived. Which is it?

And to others who are deflecting and defending, its just sad and pathetic what has happened (if it has), given the defence being thrown around I am sure it has. Why you so edgy and hateful?

Shows the merit and superior culture of the perpetrators. If I were that age group, I'd never date these incels.
The question isn't what they have drawn it's more about why have they been asked to vacate their rooms. Why should women be given first preference over men? Why are we allowing this blatant sexism?
Get a job please. Or go and do a factual check at the college. Have some acceptance for others and stop cribbing about anything. Am i cribbing about your sad and scrawny existence??
Swastika is not shit and mind it, this expression may not be covered under freedom of speech.
Dude, you had serious comprehension issues there. Read the comment again.
Me to my kids in 2045 - "Once I was arrested for drawing a Hindu swastika sign with Kumkum powder on my new car."
I drew it and then drove over a puppy but no one could arrest me because a holy chariot does what it likes. Remember kids, if you want to murder someone religion is the best cover.
So just one drawing makes NLUO "Hindu supremacist"? As for "Hindu nationalist" groups being active, what about ultra-left groups in law schools? I hope you know what slogans were chanted in Jindal after Balakot. The Caravan article is alarmist and misinformed. Typical woke propaganda masquerading as journalism.
"Dhundho dhondho re Sana, more kaan ka Bala (aur Coat)"
- yehi slogan chant Kiya tha
Read the full article if you can. It shows instances. you are the one being woke here, woke against being labelled RW.
Strange that NLUO students have not issued a formal statement responding to the Caravan article. So was the Caravan right?
How did the connect Swastika/Nazi cross to RW extremism 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔
That is the OP's fault, read the full article if you can. It shows instances.
Amazing, a swastik symbol painted on a wall is called RW extremism. What next, a boy praying in his hostel room to be equated with Hitler?
Hey R, what kind of moderation is this? There are clearly RW trolls posting here and spreading false information. The Caravan article clearly mentioned that a nazi sign was drawn on the wall of the boys hostel. Furthermore, students here are saying that the act was done vindictively to take revenge on girls shifting into single rooms. So why are people trying to claim that a harmless Hindu Swastika was drawn? Maybe the author should have used "sign" instead of "Swastika", but that should not detract from the main issues of RW nationalism and toxic masculinity in NLUO. In any other NLU this would have resulted in an enquiry and soul-searching.
I agree. But i guess moderator cant do much when there is so much brigading in this thread.

Sane comments have been down voted and hidden and comments involving mental gymnastics and intellectual masturbation are being up voted.
R is already doing a great Job at moderating without suppressing the Freedom of speech of individuals like you.
The noted historian Professor Audrey Truschke has said:

"Nazism also inspired early Hindu nationalists. So, at times, the swastika is used in India in a somewhat ambiguous sense"

"Hindu nationalism has historical ties with Nazism, which they are very sensitive about (for obvious PR reasons). "

https://mobile.twitter.com/AudreyTruschke/status/1453713765808185346
https://twitter.com/AudreyTruschke/status/1454025027129643017

It was clearly in this sense that the Caravan magazine article linked the Hindu nationalist sentiment among NLUO students with the display of the Nazi sign. Doesn't matter if the author used the word swastika or not, he was trying to convey the same point as Professor Truschke. Furthermore, the author is a student of NUJS, so he probably got inside info from friends at NLUO. Hence, the silly troll posts trying to discredit the author should be removed or marked "trollish".
can someone post the text of this article, seems to interesting, let us pesants also read this, why restrict woke stuff only for the elites
Facts - The mark (will leave it for you to interpret it as Swastika/hakenkreuz/a non-sensical drawing) was drawn in March, when the rooms were given back to the boys. Also the mark was drawn at a place where only boys resided.
Hence, not a mark of protest against girls of college.

A Christian cross was also drawn with the same paint color on the opposite wall. So? Why did Caravan not cover this picture as an instance in the article? Should you interpret it as Christian nationalist drawing? Makes no sense, right?
The article is a piece of shit of opinion by person who don't even know and are not able to comprehend that students draw different drawings just for the sake of it. Just for fun, without knowing that some pseudo-liberal writing an article would interpret it as an RW caricature. Like seriously?
Some guy asked for a formal statement against this article. Lol!
Are you factually disputing the article then? Please do take it up with Caravan then.
People here are literally searching for anything to make any wrong story. I am literally so tired of you free nothing to do people that I would not even care to explain the truth, would just say, "Chhote bacche ho kya?"
It has become fashionable for the woke brigade to diss NLUs for 3 things:

1. High fees
2. Lack of "diversity" and "social justice"
3. Not "giving back" to the country.

The Caravan magazine article is only the latest to follow this trend. In reality, this is pure unadulterated BS.

Regarding point 1, it costs far more to study medicine, architecture, management and fashion in India. Maybe it is cheaper to study at a TLC, but please see the reality of what low fees does: the quality of infra and faculty at TLCs is a joke. Even DU was briefly derecognised by the BCI.

Regarding point 2, Caravan magazine article should look at IIT, AIIMS and IIM. They are even less diverse. So why single out NLUs?

Regarding point 3, please see the tweet yesterday by Raghav Awasthi which is going viral. If that is the state of affairs in the bar then NLU grads are fully justified in joining corporate practice. Also, successive governments have not established a national judicial service. If such a service is established, then there is no doubt many bright NLU grads will join. Also even in politics NLU grads are not being given preference. Hence they are not going for these careers.

It's time people stop this mindless criticism of NLUs.