Read 68 comments as:
Filter By
As a parent of a law aspirant and an NRI, I'm wondering if my child should apply as an NRI. I've read quite a few comments in LI and other forums belittling students who gain admissions to NLUs via the NRI quota.

Also, I request the LI forum members to let me know the cut-offs for GNLU Gandhinagar and NLU Jodhpur in CLAT 2021.
Almost all of the "NRI" students in these NLUs are just rich Indian kids who can afford to pay for these seats. Being an actual NRI is not a prerequisite. You just have to show that the student is "NRI-sponsored" and that can easily be arranged if you have an NRI relative who agrees to furnish such an undertaking to the university.
when 50% of the seats are going to reservation for people who are second generation or third generation recipients of reservation advantage what is wrong if someone taking an advantage which is offered through the NRI and comes under the merit list. As far as one can look at the merit list of NRI quota it closes way before the reservation quota ranks.
yeah they can, as in my experience all/vast majority of the kids who take nri seats are not only not nri's, they've never even lived abroad! It's basically a pseudonym for a donation every year to get a seat at this point.
Yes, as long as the sponsor is a first or second-degree relative of the admission seeker and of course a bonafide NRI.
Nah. If your kid can study there - make them study there. Unless your kid wants to come back and live in this country, the education at NLUs isn’t all that spectacular to pay so much.
We are NRIs in the Middle East (Arabian Gulf) with no option for expatriates to attend University in the country we live in. Moreover, my daughter wants to study Law in India.

I'd appreciate advice and answers to my question on GNLU and NLUJ NRI cut-offs from the experienced members of the LI forum.
Your daughter can always take CLAT and get a seat according to her merit under the general category. The other reservations may still make sense from a societal equity point of view, but the NRI quota is basically just buying your way into a law school. Don't do your daughter the indignity of going through that stigma.
Difficult to agree with your point of view regarding 'other reservations' but thank you nevertheless.
My daughter has studied in Dubai till 12 th now she is planning to write clat 2024 .. is she eligible for general quota or only nri quota ..pls reply
Everyone who's eligible for NRI quota can also apply as a general student. Only foreign nationals can't sit for CLAT. If your daughter has an OCI/PIO card, then she will be fine.
It would be nice if she can get in NUJS and frankly speaking no one cares what how you get a seat. What matters is how well you're doing in the college.
Pray and hope she does. In fact, I as a parent would prefer NLUJ over NUJS, probably due to my ideological bias, lol!
NLUJ over NUJS? For what reason? NUJS is the superior university by far, there's no comparison
I apologise for necro'ing, but NLUJ has far better campus life (largest campus in the entire NLU circuit), hostel life (single rooms from the first to fifth year), and sports culture than WBNUJS and most (if not all) of the NLUs. NLUJ also has a judiciary culture which WBNUJS lacks.

Placement rate is the same, faculty is the same as well (all Tier 1 NLUs have similar faculties). WBNUJS has the highest average domestic placements (18 lakhs as per my friend studying there in the 3rd year) among all the NLUs, but NLUJ isn't far behind (16 lakhs average package).

The only legit advantage which WBNUJS has over NLUJ is the locational advantage (WBNUJS is in the middle of Kolkata in the Salt Lake area). NLUJ's location is decent as well but it obviously doesn't compare to spending 5 years living in the middle of Kolkata.
NUJS does not lack in students who have opted for the judiciary. As for faculty, there is absolutely no comparison. NUJS faculty, though not the best among NLUs, are far better than NLUJ, since the latter doesn't even have any permanent faculty. Everyone joins there and then leaves as soon as they get a permanent job elsewhere. In fact, there are instances of at least 3 faculty who had quit NLUJ in the past to join NUJS, the last one having done so a year back. The NLUJ current VC is also way more dictatorial and less approachable than the NUJS VC. Further, NUJS provides a lot more freedom and flexibility to students. The entrepreneurial culture is also stronger in NUJS. The large number of credit courses offered by alumni these days at NUJS is another added advantage.
"largest campus?" Come on. You could have written big enough campus or one of the largest campus, but you chose to lie.
I'd be happy to help you, afaik if she scores a rank under 2k she's safe. NUJS's NRI closes around 1400 then it's either nlu j or gnlu, also unlike non-nri, the seats move drastically by each passing round. Also imo it's not worth to waste the money, rather a drop would be preferred if she's a fresher. For more information you can connect with me.
Thank you. Is there any way of finding out what the cut-offs were for NLUJ and GNLU in CLAT 2021? I managed to find the cut-offs for NUJS and NLIU on the internet but somehow info on NLUJ and GNLU is not easy to find.
Thank you! I'll appreciate it if you can help me find out the cut-offs for NLUJ and GNLU in CLAT 2021.

I don't think she'll consider dropping a year and might opt for JGLS if she can't make it to NLUJ.
in 2021, the last cutoff for NRI seats was around AIR 1800 at NLUJ
NRI quota at NUJS makes sense if you can afford it. None of the others will give an ROI for an Indian job otherwise.
Hey, if your ward wants to work primarily in India, and if you have the means to pay and get your ward an NRI seat in the top 4/5 NLUs, it is a sure shot bet to get them a high paying job in the Indian legal industry.

While your ward may not want to do law firm jobs when s/he graduates, it is best to arm her with the best option.

Don't care about what other people think of NRI quota. Once you graduate, no body cares. As such, even in college most people will not care. Dont shy away from a potential benefit just because "log kya kehenge". Take every benefit you can.

Good luck.
Here's the fee comparison between JGLS & the top 4 NLUs that have NRI quotas and Symbiosis, Pune:

SR Institution Tuition Fee Hostel + Food Dev Charges Annual Cost For Five Years
1 JGLS 6,00,000 2,80,000 - 8,80,000 44,00,000
2 Symbiosis (NRI Quota) 5,80,000 2,30,000 - 8,10,000 40,50,000
3 NLIU (NRI Quota) 8,60,000 Included - 8,60,000 43,00,000
4 NLUJ (NRI Quota) 7,50,000 1,20,000 - 8,70,000 43,50,000
5 NUJS (NRI Quota) 9,60,000 Included - 9,60,000 48,00,000
6 GNLU (NRI Quota) 10,69,500 Included 1,50,000 10,69,500 54,97,500

All fee amounts are in Indian Rupees
Note: NLUJ food cost is estimated as Rs 12,000/month for 10 months for each year

Why is it that you have provided the JGLS fees in a comparison of the NRI fees charged by other NLUs?
Much better to choose JGLS then pay the same and go to NLUs outside the top 3 with poor infra and faculty.
NLUs have a whole range of faculty, some are pretty bad and some are great as is the case with most colleges, nlus or not. Regarding the infrastructure, you are mostly right but you'd also get used to it pretty soon.

The one advantage NLUs will have over JGLS is just the number of students and the competition that you have to face. The crowd of students is (mostly) pretty impressive so your work ethics and quality will improve, but what is a better advantage is the fact that you could be as mediocre as it gets and you would still be fine. There would be maybe 100 kids in your entire batch out of which most would get placed, some even in firms abroad. but in a private college with around 600 kids in a batch, you will have to stand out and compete with a ton of people as compared to in a batch of 100 odd kids.
Depends on the NLU. NLS has a batch 300 strong from next year for example.
I beg to differ, Sir. I've asked a very genuine question and furnished the fees comparison to highlight, as you've rightly said that there is not much of a difference in the NLUs' NRI fees and JGLS/Symbiosis fees. However, my intention is to seek advice from the regular users of the LI forum, who I believe are Law School students/NLUs and other top law college graduates/practising lawyers/law school faculty members on whether or not such high fees are worth paying for BA LLB notwithstanding my ability to pay. The other platform I've tried to find answers to my question was 'Quora' but with mixed results.

While I can confirm I'm not a troll as alleged by you, I'll certainly welcome comments/advice from the regular trolls in the forum as well and take the same with a pinch of salt! :-))

Keep the comments rolling!
That still doesn't explain your other comments in other threads given your self-proclaimed status of an NRI and the parent of a law aspirant. You've even started two separate threads with the same topic.
I agree, this thread reeks of dishonesty and gives full troll vibes.
As far as I know, students with a rank >5200 got admission under the NRI category. However, it is quite unpredictable. For instance, even though a person with AIR >5200 got admission in the 4th list, the 7th list closed around AIR 3500.
But she will really be better off with a competitive UK law degree. It will open many more doors for her. Her friends may not know that so she may not have thought of it.
Well, that'll cost almost thrice as much as an NRI seat in one of the NLUs or JGLS. I'm afraid it isn't an option.
Well it really depends on resources available to you, and how capable and ambitious your daughter is. But the money is better invested at the undergraduate stage than at the LL.M. stage if you're hoping that she'll have a good international career. It is not impossible from an Indian law school but not easy either.
Hey, with respect to NLU-J, the NRI cut-off closed at AIR 1203 in 2020. I'm not sure about 2021. Will get back in case I get an update on that.
Starting two separate threads was by mistake - I think I clicked on the 'post' button twice, thinking the first click didn't work. I, too, was surprised to see two posts.

What makes you think a Parent of a law school aspiring child should not post questions on forums like LI? I will do whatever research and information gathering that may be required. I don't think I need anybody's permission for that. If I've violated the forum rules, I would like to hear from the forum owner/administrator. I have as many rights as anybody on this forum as long as I follow the rules.

I never knew that just mentioning JGLS could make people upset, and honestly, I don't think I care. There's a saying in my native tongue which loosely translates to: "people affected with jaundice see everything in shades of yellow". In this case, someone who seems to have an inherent dislike (bordering on hatred) for JGLS seems to look at every mention of JGLS with suspicion.

Also, what is your motive for attacking every post/comment on LI that contains the magic words 'Jindal Global Law School'? The way you are accusing me of being a JGLS PRO team member, are you linked to or on the payroll of any institution/organisation that can benefit by slandering JGLS? What's the motive, Sir?

While I cannot stop you from trolling my post or posting unwarranted comments here, I can certainly ignore them.
For someone who is trying to ignore a comment, you sure write way too long responses to it!
Not worth it. Spending more than Rs.5000 per year on legal education is really not worth it.
If you can afford it and the money is not something you are looking to get an ROI on, I think go for it.

As an NRI you should be concerned if you can actually meet the required work load head on or if you are going to crash and burn.
Glad I could help.
I noticed that you mentioned that you're based in the Middle East.
Another piece of advice - Prepare your daughter for life in India. Kids in the Middle East are sheltered and not really prepared for the rough and tumble of life back home. It is best to just make them mindful of the fact that you need to be a bit chalu to get by. I wish your daughter good luck!
Thank you once again. We've done our best to prepare my daughter for life in India. Pray and hope!
He would send his daughter to Jindal in all probability. She can continue leading a sheltered life in there easily enough, without ever having to experience any of the rough or tumble of Indian life for the next 5 years.
If you can pay for it, then it is definitely worth it.
NLUJ NRI seats over GNLU any day.
This is my pre-Clat experience.

I was on the waiting list of the NUJS merit list (single digit).At the time that made me a shoo in.

My dad was paranoid that I wouldn't get in so put me as NRI sponsored.

I automatically was treated as an NRI student from then on. Thankfully I got else where and left.

If money isn't an object then just pay the money at the end of the day.

But it does feel a lot sweeter when you get in through merit.
I graduated from NLUJ.

I am from general category (with drop). However, I know of NRI students from my batch who are doing far better than I am [i.e. earning more than I am].

I can't vouch for how your daughter will feel, but if she wants a corporate job then 50 lakhs in fee is not a big amount. This considering the fact that she will make as much in less than 3 years time [if she does not get a foreign placement, then she will make even more]. Very few investments have that good an ROI.
Two questions you need to ask yourself

1. Are you looking for a return on investment? Depending on the university, that isn't going to be the case. You have to look at it as a sunk cost which lets your child join a profession.

2. Is your child up for the challenge. If you feel they are not ready for the grind, maybe save their year and move them to something more up their speed.
Hi,

If it's financially feasible for you, I would strongly recommend sending your war to one of the top National Law Universities. It can truly make a big difference in how they are perceived as a student (speaking from personal experience), especially when it comes to things like internships, particularly if they are planning to work in India.

But remember, in the grand scheme of things, the college you attend is not the be-all and end-all. Your ward's hard work and dedication are what will ultimately lead them to success. That being said, enrolling in a top NLU can definitely give them a valuable edge during their formative years.

Good luck.
NRI quota is nothing but a backdoor entry and fraud. This is violation of merit. This must be stopped.
Since clat 2024 results are out and my son wants to take nri seat in Jodhpur as well, could you tell me what her rank was this year?
A 16-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.
A 2-word comment posted 5 months ago was not published.
A 7-word comment posted 3 months ago was not published.