Read 24 comments as:
Filter By
Often at JGLS we hear professors and admin say "Dr Sahni's decision is this", "Dr Sahni wants that" etc. At every other event the VC says "Thanks to Dr Sahni", "All because of Dr Sahni" etc. But what is Dr Sahni's exact role and why is he so influential? His official bio (as seen below) says that he is a Member of the Governing Body and Advisor to the Vice Chancellor, plus he was Head of HR at Jindal Steel before joining JGLS. But this still does not explain why he is so influential. He is not a lawyer and has a PhD from Punjab University in psychology. Does anyone have the inside story here?

https://jgu.edu.in/jgls/faculty/prof-dr-sanjeev-p-sahni/
He's Naveen Jindal's eyes and ears on the ground, and as such has a greater authority and arguably even more power than raj
Yes, he is the link between the VC and Naveen Jindal, much more powerful than the VC. He is the final word on finances, scholarships, faculty hires, promotions, everything.
I see...you have taken inspiration from our India Gandhi. Can we prophesize something like an emergency in jgls with this๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š
As others have already said, he's very close to Naveen Jindal and that's the only reason he's there. Sort of, to counter the VC's power and balance it (read: make sure VC doesn't become more important than the university itself/Jindal himself).

โ–ฎโ–ฎโ–ฎ though he had worked briefly in SAI and describes himself as a "former bureaucrat" - โ–ฎโ–ฎโ–ฎ

โ–ฎโ–ฎโ–ฎ draconian measures of campus that are implemented actually come from his office (not sure if this is true still, I'm talking about 5+ years ago). He was also quite openly against Murthy, the then-Registrar. All-in-all โ–ฎโ–ฎโ–ฎ

He also has an acute lack of how modern education is supposed to work, a university's role in a student's life, and what a student's liberties are/mean. In my assessment, if permitted to hit students with canes like they do in government schools, he'll implement it.
โ–ฎโ–ฎโ–ฎ taken his elective. Thankfully I wasn't one of them. If this guy is not longer part of JGU. Then it can make huge strides of progress. Sahni and the current registrar are the ones holding the university back. Murthy was a really good guy.
DR sahni is like an employer and Raj an employee. Board chairman and ceo of company kind of.. Raj reports to Sahni. Period.
To use GoT language, it's like this:

- Naveen Jindal: King

- Sahni: Hand of the King

- Raj: Knight
I think Dr. Sahni has a played a huge part in where JGLS and Jindal University at large stands today. Thatโ€™s why he has such a say in uni as a whole. He is no doubt a man who can be conceived as being strict but that is perhaps what it requires to make such institutions. You cannot rely only on good cops. You need someone who has a hard exteriority in a bid to smoothly run such humongous shows!
I have been a teaching assistant with Dr.Sahni and I feel amused with what is being posted here. He is very helpful sweet and accessible. Having worked with him for almost a year i feel he has to be one of the best profs in the uni. He often goes way beyond his way to help the students in both academic and non academic affairs
True story. My friends and I were entering the Jindal campus one day. Some had drunk too much and you could clearly smell the alcohol. A guard who was a noob caught us and said he was going to report us. As the guard was a noob, one of my friends (with balls of steel) took a chance as said "Do you know who I am? I am Dr Sahni's nephew!" The guard let us through ๐Ÿ˜€
How old are you? That guard didnโ€™t report you cause you outsmarted it . That guard didnโ€™t report you cause heโ€™s poor and you threaten him with power. And you insulted him by not even trying to hide the drunken behaviour.

Is this how jgls students think and talk? How very disappointing.
What do you mean "good cops"? No one needs good cops or bad cops. You need administrators who are honest, sincere, sensible, fair, reasonable and compassionate.
I have taken numerous classes of his and he is a wonderful professor. Dr. Sahni is an intellectual visionary - very passionate about his area of study/research and someone whoโ€™s genuinely invested in his students. If you were to take one class of his, I would highly recommend Criminal Psychology. Itโ€™s the most popular elective and for good reason. His centre, JIBS, is involved in some terrific research projects. All in all, one of my favorite professors at JGU. Humble, caring and empathetic.
Er... are you serious? Everyone I know takes that course only because of grade inflation. Some very problematic comments have been made in that course which don't belong in the 21st century and have been discredited by modern scientists.
I agree with this. The previous comment just seems like Sahni's personal PR exercise.

And my personal judgement of his character is - purely on the basis of my interactions with him - that he can actually tell his minions to go out and make positive comments on this thread.
Terrific research projects? Lol! Jiggles hasn't produced any research project output of substance in the last decade.