Read 16 comments as:
Filter By
I keep making a lot of mistakes in my work and it is stressing me out a lot. When I do screw up my senior yells at me in front of everyone which I fear a lot. After a day of being stressed I actually felt relieved once they scolded me.. My senior has gotten annoyed with me to the point I think they may be of the opinion they’re better off without me. It has been a while I’ve heard anything positive from them. I’ve also not received any good work lately because I keep making stupid mistakes. I feel like a failure constantly. I really want to succeed or at the very least get by, but can’t seem to do either. I don't know if I’m cut out for this line of work
You need a checklist. Keep building a checklist as your experience goes up.

After you complete a work, spend 30 minutes more in ticking off the checklist.
Yes, make checklist of the mistakes you're doing.

And before submitting your work, see whether all the points mentioned in there are complied or not.

Don't try to remember things, instead note them down.

It helps a lot.
Your senior is a bad person. Period. Not a bad senior professional, but a bad person. They lack foresight and wisdom.

Your senior should understand that negative feedback doesn't work with everyone positively. It has adverse effects in some people. Your senior should learn to be kind, they would be surprised at the wonders it can do in associates and others.

Going by your name, I assume you are an A1. Yes your senior is correct, they are better off without you. They are better of working alone and not training someone so that the burden can be lighter in the future and both you and your senior prosper. Instead your senior doesn't have the patience to do so. They are doomed to a career of churning and burning and juniors.

I was once in your position. I had a bad boss who did not give clear instructions, wasn't motivated to mentor and teach. Just wanted to dump on people fresh off the boat and ask them to figure out what is to be done. And then when you fuck up, he would rain hell fire and negative comments. Thankfully I quit, and joined elsewhere. Kinder bosses who can teach and be kind made a lot of difference. Improved my confidence and so on.

Having said that, its rare that you can find a kind person in this industry. Its like this most places. You should also explore speaking to a therapist for your mistakes and to understand how and why you make them. It helped me be self aware too and improving my work.
It gets better as you spend more time working - don’t worry
Why don’t you talk to seniors after you do some work and understand how you can improve and what are the things they would look for.
There is no such thing as “cut out for it”. If you stick with it long enough you’ll master the process. Just try to be more alert and less hard on yourself. Sab log ek jaise nahi hote. Have to allow yourself a learning curve also.
Been there.. While there is no magic bullet, positive mindset can make a lot of difference. In my initial days in the profession, I was so scared that I used to think that any day they will ask me to leave.. If possible, try to work with different people as both you and your senior may have a mental block. Also, if its not working out, don't hesitate in terms of looking out and starting afresh. Couple of years here and there will not make a difference in long run.
i saw thisbelow commnt on another thread.....it reminded of this pots by OP.The reason they like to criticise you endlessly is to break your confidence, that way you can eb easily mnaipulated and alos they dont wnat you feeling coinfidenta nd seeking greener pastures.....stop letting them make you feel like this....For gods sake your a fresher, you are bound to make 100 mistakes...if your feeling like this its your seniors fault....negative oppression is a very real thing I know some at CAM who have spoken about this but itspretty muh an industry wide practice

Comment no 1.3 in thso con- I work 9am - midnight and hate it: What are your law firm timings?

some www.geocities.ws/kream77/amarchand.html
Mantra 1 – Negative Oppression – Amarchand thrives on negative oppression. Take a brilliant mind, oppress it with negativity, constant criticism, uncertainty and transform such brilliance into craven commercial greed.
Unless they make you greedy and tired they will not be able to slave it out at such places for years together.So the toxic culture is to make you hungry and overworking is to tire you to the extent that you stop thinking about life and just keep running the mindless ract race that bodes well for them.Once you stop performing they get rid of you
The more you work, the more mistakes you will make. Only those who do not work will not make mistakes.

Come to think of it, our work is a reflection of our thoughts. We translate our thoughts into work. We don't always think in a logical or grammatically correct manner, and sometimes these errors unconsciously creep into our work. One way of mitigating errors is to take a few minutes rest once you have completed your assignment and then review your work with a fresh mind. Believe me, the more you review, the more mistakes you will find. In an experiment I carried out several years ago, I found that you discover the most mistakes in your third or perhaps fourth review. Your may not always have the luxury of time to conduct four reviews of your work, but try this on short assignments. Slowly, you will become conscious of the common mistakes your make and will avoid them.

As far as your senior is concerned - to hell with him. His words are only hot air converted into sound waves. His words can hurt you only to the extent you allow them to hurt you. Desensitize yourself and feel proud each time your discover your own mistake and correct it. That's the path to progress. All the best.
I have been dealing with exactly the same kind of issues at work. I have been making stupid errors which are so embarrassing. I received feedback from my Partner - he feels that I am underconfident and timid. I guess I am though, it's only been a few months since I started working and I never receive clear instructions as to what to do. Complicated transactions documents have been thrown at me to handle alone without any prior experience with them. So yes, I may lack confidence and be timid but I personally feel like it's justified. I'm still coming to terms with the fact that the things I do have real life consequences and that is a bit scary and a little guidance at work would go a long way. But alas, what to do.
everyone from A1 to a Partner has weaknesses. Do your best to work on them and as various people have said - stick around as a lawyer. However, also figure a way to be at a place that helps you showcase your strength. It will help you feel more confident and a good senior will appreciate you more.
Just became an A2. Still pretty much know nothing and everytime I get a new task I feel like I won’t be able to do it properly. Probably still don’t do work well because when I turn something in to my partner, be it research or any other drafting work, he doesn’t say anything about it.
Think you’re reading too much into your partner’s silence. Partners tend to have so much to do that they don’t have time to give feedback - no feedback is good feedback.
Understand the work, look at it from the client's perspective, don't work to impress your senior, forget about him, work to solve the problem instead. You'll stop making mistakes.
You managed to get through an entire post without a single typo! I'd think you're better off than the large majority here. Don't let it get you down.