Read 23 comments as:
Filter By
The forms are out for mhcet exam but i am really confused whether or not to fill it.
I am currently in tier-3 nlu but i am going to write CLAT again this year but i am uncertain about MHCET because I don't know if it will be a big upgradation. How is GLC doing as an institution in 2022 is it worthwhile to write MHCET for it?
GLC will never be irrelevant. It will definitely be an upgrade. But please consider the living cost before making any decision.
Seeing its downward trajectory, Will it still be relevant when i graduate in 2027? Or should I stick with my t3 nlu which shows no sign of improvement either
GLC Mumbai is overhyped, especially true for non-domicile candidates. The only reason some graduates from there get job in T1 firms is because of the year long internships they do. Otherwise, nothing special. However, that makes it a better option compared to T3 NLUs; Otherwise, it's more or less the same.
If you are from Mumbai then GLC is the best option you have. You dont need to pay rent to live in the city.
If i have to pay 2lacs. Per annum on renting and fooding won't that be a good deal given it's still lesser than any nlu (a t3 in my case)
2lpa for renting + fooding. That is just 16k per month. I would say your expenses are likely to be much higher.
Nah, GLC is a great place. Much better than a tier 2 or tier 3 NLU. Though you’ll have to work your ass off to get anywhere. GLC by virtue of its name opens doors and gives opportunities that you wouldn’t get anywhere else. And Mumbai is the place to be if you want to make money. I’m graduating soon and I had offers from my 3rd year to join different firms, organisations and I will join a tier 1 soon post graduation. It also has a very active placement cell that will help you out a lot.
Agree that GLC is overhyped. The ones who get top jobs from there are usually nepo kids.
I am a first generation lawyer and a GLC graduate. I have faced no discrimination in finding opportunities. Many of my batch mates have joined Tier 1 firms and are doing well there. Others are with senior advocates, and while all of them do come from well to do/middle class households, most do not come from legal backgrounds. I don’t think you will face any loss in opportunities at GLC.

I loved my time at GLC. The freedom is extraordinary, and you are actually treated like an adult. Some of the teachers are very helpful and will mentor you actively if you reach out. I mention Professors Shamim Dalvi and Krishu Daswani especially in this context. The visiting faculty, who do take regular lectures, are also great. I don’t know if any NLU has an AZB partner teaching arbitration or contracts; it is true for GLC.

Now the negatives:
- There is no spoon-feeding whatsoever. The lectures are based on the MU syllabus, and are not designed to train students in critical thinking.
- GLC is not particularly academic, and the culture is exam based not assignment based. The few assignments that may be required (I have heard that MU has made assignments compulsory now, and they make up part of the grade), will likely be cut paste jobs/poor quality.
- Some of the teachers are of very poor quality (but I believe you will have them everywhere).
- NLUs are definitely more rigorous, and passing through one will guarantee that you will be a graduate of a minimum standard.
- No forced discipline. You must be self motivated.

While it is not difficult to meet the same standard at GLC, meeting it would be due to your hard work or initiative, not because of the academic requirements of the college. The best way to for inexperienced students to level up is to join one of the more β€œserious” committees/clubs: ADR, Moot Court, Law Review, and to do more than level up, do an internship.

An interesting point to consider:
What you must understand is that GLC is a traditional law college with immense diversity. Our fees are negligible and we have a 50% quota that brings in people from weaker sections. For most privileged people (who make up the bulk of NLU students), β€œquota students” with different accents, attitudes and life experiences often comes as a culture shock.

I, however, feel that this is an enriching experience, bringing people out of echo chambers and forcing them to look other realities in the eye, and make friends with people from all walks of life.

Good luck!
Could you share insight into the standard of curriculum and whether it is at par with the contemporary law requirements (like nlus) Also, what is college life like? Does GLC have moot courts, platform for cultural exchange, etc.?
A 33-word comment posted 1 year ago was not published.
If PGCL is anything like Mithibai, please run away as far as you can. As a Mithibai undergrad and 3-yr LLB grad of GLC, I can say with confidence that GLC is soooo much better.

kjjj is aware that MU syllabus is crap, and doesn't force anyone to attended. If PGCL is like Mithibai, they will send letters to your parents and try to stop you from taking exams if your attendance falls below 80%, denying you opportunities to spend your time more constructively.

ALSO:
- Extra-curricular and co-curricular activities are better at GLC.
- PGCL has a 50% Gujju quota, and the Gujju population will be closer to 80%. Not diverse at all...
A 47-word comment posted 1 week ago was not published.