Read 11 comments as:
Filter By
Wanted to know if bar council enrollment (followed by clearing of AIBE) is mandatory to work in law firms? Do firms usually have this requirement?
Most firms mention in their offer letter that you should clear the AIBE within 6 months of joining. Rarely enforced/ followed up on.
Not rquired for corpo practise where you never have to face a regulatory authority or a court.
Must for Lit teams, competition teams, regulatory teams, SEBI Teams, Tax teams and IP teams

Also, you could not sign an opinion without bar license
You have to enroll with the state bar council. Then clear the AIBE within 2 years of your enrolment. Else you won’t be able to practice anywhere. Let alone law firm.
Yes. I can't believe I have to say this to someone who has actually studied the law. Some law firms explicitly state it, some don't. The latter fall in the camp that usually don't check to see if you have enrolled and subsequently passed, but they assume that you do. If they find out you did not, you could be fired or face more consequences. I hope you realize that if you are working as an associate and giving legal advice (even if you do not go to court), you are engaging in the unauthorized practice of law and none of your communications with your clients are privileged. No decent firm worth its salt will take that risk. Get enrolled and take the bar. It's literally the easiest exam on the planet and that is not counting your class 2 maths test.