Read 18 comments as:
Filter By
Hi guys - so I've been working at a T1 law firm for a few years. My expenses are low and I'm making enough (based on what I need - you keep bashing on this aside pls) for my expenses. Consider low expenses - I've saved some money as well and can do with a job paying me half of what I earn and live comfortably as i am now.

I want to know when do you guys think this entire rat race ends? I'm beginning to feel and want your views on finding out what's the end goal of this toxic work schedule that is becoming the norm than the expectation.

To the partners / senior partners / ppl who've paid their dues to the profession - is it worth it? I've been considering switching to a lighter role and want to know what you guys feel.
Its not, my friend. You are on the right track. Take up something else. Maybe give back to the world through some efforts. Maybe teach? so many positions for people of your qualification.
If you can live on less and don't fall prey to fomo, move to a position which you actually enjoy doing.

I personally intend to work until I can amass 25 times my annual expenditure in investments. I hope to reach that goal shortly. But, the only difference is that I actually like my job.
25x, based on the trinity study, is for 30 year retirements invested in US securities and it was backtested against the most successful securities market of the world for the period of time that the world has grown the most. If you check discussions by bogleheads, people are preparing for a 0% post-tax real return world given the changing demographics and its impact on growth.

Long winded way of saying: 25x is too little by the estimation of most Indian FIRE proponents. The 95% confidence interval of the trinity study for 30 year periods also gets impacted significantly if you're REing at all time highs / high CAPE Shiller Ratios (like now). ERN has a beautiful post about this.

People typically go for 50 - 70x (depending on a host of factors such as if you have children, do you want to fund a foreign education, expensive wedding etc).

Going from 25x to 50x will take you only 3-5 years assuming you've accumulated 25x by early to mid 30s.
Quote:
trinity study, is for 30 year retirements invested in US securities
Who is retiring?
Read the question before all this fancy needless analysis!

OP said:
Quote:
I've saved some money as well and can do with a job paying me half of what I earn and live comfortably as i am now.
If the savings are sufficient to cover for emergencies, then the RAT RACE can end.
"I personally intend to work until I can amass 25 times my annual expenditure in investments."

OP (in this case, OP is #3, not the person who started this thread) intends to work until they can amass 25 times their annual expenditure. That statement means that they will stop working after they amass 25x. The word "retirement" means to stop working to earn a living.

25x number doesn't come from thin air. It comes from the analysis of Bengen in the early 90s. He has subsequently revised his estimate to a number less than 25x FYI.

I think you are young and have never put any thought to: "How much do I really need for financial safety?". Once you do, you will realise that you need "fancy" "needless" analysis to come a decision which is based on relevant historical analysis along with a sufficient margin of safety.

Its all well and good to say: the "RAT RACE" should end once you have enough for emergencies; but its a different matter when you are about to take a decision to stop working or leaving a high paying job.
50L is enough as an emergency fund assuming you are are earning enough to cover your expenses. Move on fast. You lost your 20s now save your 30s.
It entirely depends on what your long term career perspective or goal is. Moreover, it depends if you want to have a family anytime soon or later. I would suggest you to stick to the firm for a while, as in my experience it gets a little less hectic from the PA levels and as you can delegate the work off your shoulders to your subordinate associates once you’re up the hierarchy in the firm. You can think of lateral switches as well to a less toxic, and less competitive law firm where you can negotiate a better pay for your services. If you’re interested in a financial stable future with few or minimal luxury, then sticking to corporate law is what I would suggest. In the initial years, it can be monotonous and mundane but it does pay off in the later stages of your career, atleast financially.
You know you want to do it. You just want to be cheered on like a hero.
Quote:
I want to know when do you guys think this entire rat race ends?
Unfortunately it never ends.
It’s sadly never enough. We keep running. Materialism never ends. At least for me, I pledge to keep off social media. It’s soo toxic
The rat race ends the moment you realise you're not a rat but that you're a human being.
It never ends.

Goals vary drastically and we overestimate how much we need. We idolise the top few partners and assume we’ll be like them one day.

I had a financial planner estimate my needs. My parents have a flat abd basic savings and my spouse earns 30k pm.

My goal is 75L after which I’ll switch to a better job that can pay my expenses.
It’s the arrival happiness paradox. Someone I know is going through the same.
I don't think any big compromises are needed. Having worked for a T1 for a few years you should be able to land a cushy in-house role easily. The money will be around the same and hours much more humane. You can't expect the same level of growth professionally or financially as in a law firm, but since you don't need the extra money this should not be a big issue for you.
Rat race never ends unless you call it out and go independent.All these law firms with owners and promoters think of you not as a lawyer,retainer,resiurce but as a rat.So the rat race will end when you get away from such a place.