Read 19 comments as:
Filter By
I have recently joined the capital markets team of a tier 2 law firm in Mumbai, while capital market was not my preference but that is what I got via the campus placement process. I have read a couple of threads on LI about the practice area in general but I am here to ask if I want to plan and move abroad like Canada, Germany, etc. what are the skills that I should focus on while working in an Indian law firm which will help me in the transition. Additionally, if any advice on the timeline of actually starting preparation to move, professional growth for an Indian Capital Markey Junior Lawyer, etc. I would be more than grateful.
Please my friend, genuine request- get over the obsession to grow abroad. You can work and build your career here. Transition from Tier 2 to tier 1, do something for your country. There is no point spoiling your life by thinking about abroad, a great career awaits you here. And for god's sake, its not 1960's anymore, stop this mindless glorification.
Thanks for your comments but it is not correct for you to assume that it is a mindless obsession. Everyone has their reasons which they need not necessarily put out on a public platform.
Transitioning to Tier1 is joining nation destroyers, its against the country and not something for your country.All the Tier1s "law" firms are only for furthering capitalistic greeds ,their own and other entities.None of them cares for the law.So dude chill with the pretense patrotism and let the OP look for options abroad if he wants to.
I can't believe the comments on this platform. Let's assume for argument is true, does joining a firm abroad change the consequence? NO. Staying in our own country atleast helps us to contribute more productively to our own economy. So its not pretense patriotism.

Secondly, my broader point was about the glorification of west or other foreign countries. Its stupid. And by comments like yours it only furthers the narrative. So please. I dont think legally india should allow any comments that further the agenda to go abroad.
What if a person is from a marginalized community? Someone from the LGBT community is much better suited working abroad than fighting discrimination and living like a second class citizen here. There is no way the current govt is going to change things for these communities. If my pink tax money and hard work is going to a government which has no interest in representing me, I will go to a place where it is. Stop with this bullshit patriotism talk. It only serves you and your kind.
If you cant or dont want to make it abroad,your choice.But dont dump your so called choices and stop others from foreign law firm aspirations.
Why should I? I consider it my right, duty and obligation to educate people about the misconceptions that they have about abroad. Every indian owes something to their country. Look up any country in the world, the only countries from which people migrate are african, india or china. China also now people have stopped. India is no more the india of 1960's. Stop having the slave mentality of worshiping white people. Stay in India. Period.
Why bump?

Let's create a movement that nobody will ever speak of Or think of going abroad. Let's appreciate what we have and let's do something positive for ourselves and our country.

I feel people should not even consider going for LLM abroad. Why not do an LL.M here itself. Let's make Indian llms great like our bachelors.
@2022 - Easy ne tumhare discussion ko hijack kar liya. But dont worry, some kind soul will give you decent advice soon.

@Easy - Kitte chusu ho be tum. Zabardasti apna thought process pele pade ho. Jane do na kisi ko jana hai agar abroad.
Why are you using abusive language to make your point? I don't want people to leave my county, that is obvious. Engage with me on the merits of my argument. Point is abroad isnt worth it, objectively. And its supported by the point of building your own country.
Lol kjhmnb! @Easy please try minding your own business. Stop glorifying the nation to the extent of having to obliterate the aspirations of an individual person, who's goal is different from that of a nation. Individual seeks happiness and well-being. Going by the unofficial statistics, the average T1 lawyer is NOT Content. If the OP is exploring alternatives abroad, which could contribute to his personal well being, why drag your non-sensical patriotism into his individual decision? If you wish to do something glorious (for real!) for the nation, why not leave the job/studies, become a Jawan in Indian Army and specifically request for a lifetime posting in Siachin? (Illogical, Right?) That's my point. Individual's decision making process is not exactly meant to be aligned with that of a Nation. So, ffs @Easy!
I am minding my own business. I consider it my duty to make misguided indians come back to the right path. Your argument is invalid. My point is about productively contributing to the indian economy. And if you have an iota of education, you would know that they can do that more productively from India. So please.

Secondly, as i said, life abroad is not as glamourous as you make it sound. You are a victim of slave mentality. Worshipping white people is all you can think of and hence your comment.

No one should ever think of working abroad.
Yeah bro idc about this country or about your advice i wanna move to the US and eat a ton of fatty junk food and sue someone for making me 100 small fries when i asked for 2 large fries so instead of lecturing me about being this patriotic nonsense you can decently give me advice on how to sleep with white women
@Easy - Aaj hamara mood acha hai. To isliye aaj hum tumhare maje lenge.

@R - Is thread k comments fatafat moderate kie jae.

@2022 - Tumhare sath nyay hoga.
This thread had digressed in a direction which does nothing to answer the OP’s question. Anyway, there’s good news for you here. Amongst all practice areas, capital market lawyers are the most likely to bag jobs abroad. When I say abroad, I’m specifically talking about Singapore & Hong Kong office of international law firms. I’ve never completely understood why that’s the case, but I am personally aware of individuals who have moved laterally (without an LLM). For the UK, debt lawyers from India are most likely to get jobs. Reach out to some recruiters and try to find people on LinkedIn who have successfully moved. There are plenty.