Read 15 comments as:
Filter By
Hi I am studying the 5 year BA LLB course in a private law college and it is a typical no scope college which I know will not take me anywhere. There is no proper exposure nor do they have any job security which is why I was considering retaking clat but the problem is that if I sit for the 2022 paper I will be 21. I am really confused as to whether I should go to a nlu that late or stay put in my current college which won't take me anywhere, would love some long term perspective on the same. Also I am very nervous about how the other students in the nlu would perceive me? Would they look down on me or would it be okay ? I really am desperate for good guidance so please let me know your views. ( please no trolls I am already miserable)
Stay put in your current college and put consistent efforts to grow. The problem with moving to an NLU as 21 year old is that unless you outperform others considerably you will find yourself negatively comparing yourselves with others. (not to mention you got to clear the CLAT first). The majority of the first-year crowd in T1 NLU is either directly coming after school or one-year droppers. It's common to find even such young and ambitious performers in existential crisis. Thus, in all probability even if you make it, you are going to face strong emotions from yourself (the probability of facing any adverse actions from others is negligible).

That said if your will to try is strong enough, take a chance and crack CLAT first.
Hi OP here, firstly thank you I didn't consider this point at all but it's just I am already so miserable here everyday and the college is really expensive too. So I just feel I might as well leave from here even though I'd graduate really late I'd be doing it from a better college in half the price. Also yes of course clearing clat would be a given. Would you still advice against it ?
dont do it most nlu students will be out of big law in 3 years anyway
Assuming you started your law school at the age of 18 I am guessing you would be entering in your third year of law school. Don’t worry about the placements or job security you’re too young to think on those things. Just focus on your basics and strengthen them with time. Focus on the important subjects which are crucial and are universal for any field ( e.g constitutional law, contracts, CPC,TOPA, etc.). Further, focus on subjects in which you really have interest or in which you want to develop your career in. After you have done the same start reading blogs and articles published by law firms and legal professionals. This will give you that extra edge in front of your peers and you would also develop a reading habit which is very essential in the legal industry. Research on issues which are new to you and which you think you’re unaware about. Start writing research papers and articles which are relevant to your interest area and send it to your seniors in the industry to have a look and for an opinion on it. This will be your exercise in contact building. Most importantly, I am also assuming that your placement committee is not very active hence, you’re scared of the job scenario. For this start interning with 2-3 organisations and stick with them. Don’t intern for certificates, intern for knowledge and image building. For eg if you want to venture into a law firm try 1-2 law firms and build a rapport there so that you can intern there for 2-3 times before asking for a PPO. Also, follow the Bombay model of internship if you’re able to secure internship at a particular place for 2-3 times chances are very high that they would give you an offer for a long term internship after you graduate. This will surely increase your chances to secure a job at any organisation. Also, try not to copy the masses and have an open outlook towards what’s available in the market. If everyone wants to do M&A internships try focusing on other areas of law. This would make you a face in the crowd. Try connecting with people and start following relevant people on LinkedIn so that you get good insights on their work related stuff and the updates they share regarding the legal field. Furthermore, try and be active on freelancing websites which would give you a chance to learn and earn at the same time. This would surely boost your confidence.

Although sitting for CLAT is totally your decision but this won’t guarantee your selection in a NLU. Also, the placements you see across sites are basically from the top 4-5 NLUs hence, it would be advisable that make the best of whatever is in your hand.
Don't do it.
Complete your degree at all costs. Here are the reasons:

1. Joining an NLU nowadays doesn't guarantee you get a great job. The market is getting more competitive, and it will get even more competitive in 5 years.

2. As a potential recruiter, the fact that you nearly completed a 5 year BA LLB, and decided to start over again is something which will be near impossible to explain.

3. From a finance perspective, you are not only going to spending money on a 5 year degree (they don't come cheap), you are also going to lose out on 5 years of work.

4. Joining an NLU might get your foot in the door but what happens subsequent really depends on your ability to work. Your path might take longer, but it isn't insurmountable. You need to work on your confidence and your abilities. Frankly for me the learning began after I started working. There is so much you don't really get round to learning in law school, such as managing expectations, egos, networking, drafting etc. Most of this is common sense and just needs practice.

5. It might be more valuable for you to get other qualifications like company secretary and create contacts in the field. Your time is better spent that way then going through the process of getting another LLB.

I have taken the time to write this with the hope you will listen to me.

Please don't be hard on yourself. You are more than your degree, and you need to think positively. Good luck.
Hi OP here, thank you so much for the reply but I am only in my first year. Would never do it if I was in the third year( sorry I didn't specify this in the question) So here's the story after 12th I started studying for a B.A and realized I was not liking it and wanted to switch to law. I gave clat in 2021 couldn't clear so I joined a private college and so I am in my first year. To be honest even if I was not looking at it from the job perspective, ( I realize how stupid I might sound) I don't see myself getting an environment which makes me want to study, currently I am at the top of my batch without taking any efforts really, all my peers are very laid back so there isn't any competitive edge per say and moreover even when considering the exposure I see how amazing some of the courses, electives, clinics etc are in some of the top nlus and that was really the reason I was so into doing law and I am not getting anything like that in my current college hence considering the switch. I was of the opinion that five years is obvious a long time to be studying in a college and I didn't want to be miserable throughout those 5 years. Like you said of course clearing clat and that too with a good rank would be a pre requisite to consider any of the things I said but if I were to get a t1 nlu would I be doing the wrong thing l eaving my current college ?
Foolish advice. A top 5 NLU is a guaranteed job. All of them manage to place their students in the best law firms
Guaranteed job? In which planet?
And speaking of guarantee, is there a guarantee he will get into one in the first place?
He is better off writing the CAT then if he is so amazing at writing entrance exams.
Stick to your course and finish LL.B. There 100s of lawyers who have nothing to do with NLUs and are earning in crores. In Bombay commercial litigation, for example, there are likely no NLU lawyers at all. Them and even those doing appellate work from district are earning a lot. If you just a middle class dream of a job, car, home, kids in 2 years out of college, then perhaps try to join in house after you graduate. If you can hustle, just grind it out without wasting 2-3 years in NLUs where you will learn social justice theories that you will never use in life.
Dear friend. My advice is please continue in your current college and get your degree. You are going to face some challenges in getting that first job but the 'struggle': (1) is inevitable; and (2) will help you in the long run by giving you a clear perspective on how committed you are to this career. I believe that you will do great in the long run so long as you just focus on the current task at hand of getting that first placement / job and then working your way upwards from there.
Ignore the perceptions of what others think. That is self explanatory (I would imagine).
Believe in yourself and give yourself the gestation period necessary to grow and succeed. You are gonna be fine. Good luck and best wishes.
Hi, age does not matter that much in the end. Better not to have regrets in life. Give CLAT just to see how much you score, but only join if you get Top 5 NLUs. No clear advantage/guarantee of jobs by joining anything lower than that over your current private college. If you don't clear CLAT with Top 5 in hand, 6th semester onwards try to do long term internships at T1 city firms for as long as possible, if attendance ain't an issue. Till then, try to do a part time internship at the best firm/with the best lawyer possible in your own city. Don't stress a lot, it will all turn out fine in the end. Take care.