Read 30 comments as:
Filter By
In terms of closing deals/clients, how is the law firm faring? Is its performance strong enough to sustain itself, or will it go the HSA way soon? Asking cuz there has been a significant reduction in pay offered at the associate level, and the firm doesn't get spoken about much these days.
Any reviews about culture, learning, associates & pay for freshers?
If you are working with AA himself, snatch the opportunity. He is brilliant.
Absolutely don't join AAA's team, his brilliance notwithstanding. You'll be lent out to other partners and end up doing the shittiest work because those partners wouldn't like to give another AAA's juniors a meaty role in a transaction. This is the result of "eat what you kill" dynamics.
I remember back in the days during 2012-17 the firm was doing great and was a big fish in the market. It has lost the charm .
Would you say it still has the potential to climb up in the market?
Unlikely. Too many things would have to change and nothing within WG seems amenable to change at the moment. They've passed their heyday.
It had dropped significantly by 2012. Hardly had a decent volume of good matters thereafter
You should avoid the firm at all costs. Used to br great but under the current management especially DM, things have gone downhill. Terrible culture, long hours and toxic. Especially avoid (...) teams in banking and finance
- Work culture - horrible
- Pay - horrible (around 44-45k)
- Learning - okayish if you’re joining the b&f team. But avoid (..)’s team
Yes, I was head of corporate at WG and now head of corporate at HSA. This was inevitable.
Such a waste of a thread where you have moderated everything. What is wrong with exposing toxic work culture and toxic reporting partners?
What's taking this long to moderate this thread, R? I can see that the other threads are getting moderated. What's the issue if someone wants to know about a firm in the long run?
Shocked to read so many negatives in this thread here.

1. Work: WG has a stronghold in the following practice areas: Banking and Finance, Litigation, General Corporate & Real Estate with top clients. If you are joining in any team out of these practice areas, such teams may not have such billings which is directly commensurate to how much you would be paid in the firm. In the event there is less billing, there is a strong likelihood that you were not allotted much work / you had most of your time idle in a day.

As a fresher, you are directly on-boarded on matters and in a few years, you could have direct client interactions, depending on your performance. It is one of the best places to learn early in your life, also because you get involved with senior partners and quality work. Records may speak for themselves but quite a law firm partners at different firms / institutions have been homegrown initially at WG.

2. Pay-out: For freshers, yes the pay is less but as you grow in the firm, the pay substantially increases and I know some folks (more than 3-4 PQE) who earn almost as what they would earn in a top tier firm for banking and finance and real estate practice (if not more). For other practice areas, this would all be dependent on the billing that your team generates along with your contribution towards such billing.

3. Working hours: While it all depends on the team that you work with, most of the teams have reasonable working hours and most of the teams even permit for weekends off. Most of the partners (barring a few) are also reasonable and would make you only work a late night (only if it has to go next day) and not sit on it for the next 3-4 days. B&F teams may have late nighters during quarter-ends and for general corp, in certain cases for diligence matters.
This is how a comment should look. It should explain details rather than just talking trash.
From your comments it seems like you are working in WG and typically in the 1/ 1.5 year bracket. We will speak after 2 years, till then hold on. The ride will get bumpy.
Every Saturday in WG is officially a working day. Not sure where you got the weekends off bit. Everything else is so laughably wrong that I can only assume you are an Hr/partner of the firm
It is officially a working day, yes but in reality no one really comes to the office except interns
Pay at Wadia at junior level is bad. However, it’s a firm where partners make more than sone of the Tier 1 firms. People at the top takes everything so not much left for juniors.

Work wise they have good quality and some very big clients. They are not into publicity and therefore, you won’t find their names in deals they have done. Find out who advised Adar Poonawala in his recent acquisition of NBFC? Or HDFC-Ergo deal! Infact ask any Mumbai based realtor whom they go to for legal work.

Cribbing here in LI will not make a difference to anyone in the WG. They simply don’t care. It’s an old school law firm and will remain that way but will remain very strong…
Kian/R, please stop this Terrible censorship m Why should toxic firm's and partners not be called out?
Law
Principles of natural justice
Subjectivity
Lack of veracity

I have published it. But do remember the above. By far the word toxic is used more in LI than the word tier (which i think is the second most used word).

- R
Love this answer. Easy to term censorship as terrible when it isn't your ass on the line. The sense of entitlement by some of the visitors to this platform is astounding.

Be grateful for the fact that this platform was all but done for when the new IG's came out. They're likely earning no revenue but need a significant investment (time and money) to keep things going. LI is only up and running because folks like R take out their personal time to do the best they can to bring you the info that you need to make informed choices about your career.

R, keep it up. You're doing a stellar job and while I can't speak for others, I certainly celebrate the effort you continue to put in to LI everyday.
Should actually speak volume about the current state of affairs in law firms.
@R: Is there some way an auto-analysis of the top 10-20 words used here be produced? Might be interesting.