Read 7 comments as:
Filter By
I'll be going to college soon and am confused between just taking a three year degree program and obtaining my Bachelors degree abroad or taking up a five year integrated law program and doing Masters in a foreign country. Will I need to gain a degree in LLB even if I already have one from an Indian university? I plan to practice and settle abroad in the future. Probably the U.S. or Australia.
It is much more easier to settle abroad with a LL.B/JD of that country vs a LL.M. Its possible with the LL.M, but a foreign LL.B increases your chances to settle abroad more than the LL.M.
if you have the capital pursue llb in the jurisdiction where you want to settle
My friend, why isn't there any discussion on why you want to go abroad? This is your country. People here have been shamelessly mindwashed and abroad has been glamorised. It's not true. Please dont take career decisions like this.
If your ultimate goal is to settle abroad, then the best bet is to get a primary law degree (LLB/JD) of whichever jurisdiction you are planning to settle in. LLM is a secondary degree and yes, international graduates DO find jobs and settle down after LLMs, but the path is considerably harder.
If you have the resources, one option could be the dual degree programme at Jindal, where you complete four years of legal education here and go to a partner institute in the US for a two-year JD. This whole process supposedly costs less than a normal JD would, and I don't know exact figures, but I expect it would still cost north of 50L. So choose wisely.
JD/LLB abroad can cost a cool 2 to 3 crore (350 to 500 K ($))

Before you go there - ensure that you have immigration sorted out. Because most law firms don't sponsor you when it comes to work permits and visa's.

Also remember,

Almost every western country has a Doctor, Nurse, Tech Worker shortage.

BUT NO COUNTRY on planet earth has a "lawyer shortage". This is why they make immigration hard for you. You are simply not wanted there.

+ I have seen a lot of New Zealand & Australian graduates going to work in London and Canadian JD's hunting for work in New York. Because legal work available in Canada, NZ and AU is mostly of low quality. And for some corporate law firm jobs there are too many qualified candidates (locals and immigrants)

Most Indian lawyers end up in third rate Solicitors/Immigration Offices as clerks. You will have to find Indian Clients (other immigrants stuck up) when you go to Costco (if you want to make a decent living)

Have seen Tier 1 & 2 lawyers working in compliance teams of small construction companies - a job which doesn't even require a degree.

On a PPP (Purchase Parity) level - Trilegal, Amarchand's and other Tier 1 firms pay far more than the best Canadian, Australian and NZ Firms. Work hours are not significantly good either.

So think twice.