Read 44 comments as:
Filter By
Okay, it's pretty much settled that work life balance at tier 1's does not exist. However, if one JUST WANTS to work at tier 1 (for whatever reasons, please dont start bashing and telling that there are other places than tier 1 to work at with good work-life balance), which one of the all offers the BEST work-life balance?
Can you elaborate a little more, give deets. Salary, work timings, people.
That may have been the JSA of Bergis and Jyoti. Today's JSA is nothing like that, sorry to say
Didn't know this before joining. Left last year, best decision I ever made. JSA is not what people on LI think it is.
A 36-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
Can you elaborate a little more, give deets. Salary, work timings, people
Yaar it is a law firm. There are no specific work timings for people especially at senior levels.
Why do senior need work timings when they dont do any work.Does the devil do work?All the heavy work is always done by the associates and senior associates.
Bhai - the work culture at JSA is horrible. I worked for a few months at the Delhi office in the disputes team and realized that it was enough for me to leave. The partners except for 1 who is no longer with JSA are a bunch of bullies who make you work like dogs while they chill and party and "take evening walks".

However, the associates - senior or junior are extremely patient and are actually a good bunch to be around considering everyone is sailing in this shit show.

Anyone who thinks that the work life at JSA is good is delusional or perhaps a "pet".
Ha ha ha ha ha. Ha ...good one .....Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha..
CAM?stop trying...the retainers at CAM are running away to other firms,the market knows. When u cut salaries in a pandemic,bonus"adjustment" as per "bucket" in appraisal, announce this big retainer hikes that most don't get etc,that's what happens.
Anyone who wants a life or work life balance will obviously not want to join one of the most toxic firms.There is a reasonwhy haters hate CAM.It thrives on toxicity and spreads it.
I am also confused with the whole t1 thing 1) scam seem to be lala family driven
2) azb known to have the worst toxic culture
3) people say jsa isn’t tier 1 anymore also the whole ja position for 6 months and not paying as much as other t1
4) kco also being partly family driven
5) trilegal having structure issues as no proper mentor to guide.
6) doubt L&L is worth considering the ongoing issues
What does one do?
Become a woke activist and start hating on everything and everyone that makes sense.
Become a RW troll and start disbelieving science, reason and empathy.
To start with, try to focus on life other than Legally India.
Other things you may do is to think big. If you feel present law firm culture isn't good then change it..but first be in the position to make a difference. Sitting in college or even in office doing work for other people and criticising them won't help you. Many firms which are Tier 1 today were not always Tier 1. So stop living on the alms thrown by people you call scam or lala and start your own thing. Have the confidence to make it Big and once you do then see how much of this mess can you clean. And if you can't do that STFU and get back to that drag and continue to crib.
Call me a clown if you will, but I jumped from Trilegal to AZB before quitting law firms altogether. Trilegal has a hardcore grind work culture and will rub you down to a nub, but I'd rather have that over AZB's disgusting, rotten from the inside out work environment. Toxic, petty people at the top, abusive environment, Fraulein ZM enables it all around.
Is it not "worst toxic" means the least toxic? Two negative, one positive?
Would say Khaitan. Obviously no place is perfect and you have toxic people everywhere but Khaitan is way more flexible on many counts. That said, law firms are by nature hectic! (Why can’t we have a law firm set-up where after 7 pm, people can choose to go home and work?)
Quote:
Why can’t we have a law firm set-up where after 7 pm
IDK, sounds kinda incomplete.
Can someone please tell us in what ways KCO is actually more flexible? One the one hand, we hear of liberal WFH policies, then I hear associates saying its all PR and practically non-existent. Having worked at SCAM and TL now, I realise that Trilegal is marginally better than SCAM on this point. But at least SCAM doesn't faff about, they're pretty upfront about it.
Hello - AZB associate speaking - see details
1. weekend working - rare (avoided if avoidable)
2. Late night working - avoided if avoidable, but happens from time to time if NEEDED
3. normal working hours = 8-10 ordinarily (subject to 2)
4. flexibility for appointment s = present
5. mentoring = depends from team to team but some partners and senior associates genuinely try

Above is all only from my person experience (first as a junior associate/ recipient and now as a senior associate/ recipient and do-er), and also depends from team to team. Good luck and hope you find what you looking for!

I am sure above may also be true for good teams in most firms!
Another AZB associate here. Agree with #9 and have substantially similar experience. I also feel that things have been changing for the better generally over the last 1.5-2 years. As #9 said, may be a team thing.
Foreign law firms ,and since they are not permitted to practise here thus you need to go abroad if you want work-LIFE balance.
Has this changed after a year. Whether KCO and JSA could still be assumed to be the best out of the worst? If yes, then which office ~ Delhi NCR, Mumbai, or Bangalore?
NDA hands down

1. Encouraged to leave office by 7 PM

2. Probably the best mentoring in the market
3. Accommodating seniors and leaders

4. Weekend work - Rare like 10-20% of all weekends in a year
5. Late night work - Again depends from team to team but people do acknowledge and appreciate if someone has put in late hours and are happy to provide some time off.
A 10-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.