Read 13 comments as:
Filter By
Has someone accepted an offer from a firm and ended up not joining it because he/she later got better offer from a different firm?
Don’t do this: it sullies your reputation & its avoidable. There was this guy who got a PPO from SAM (Competition), he went ahead & joined Trilegal without informing SAM. When SAM got in touch for joining formalities, he broke it to them, the Managing Partner got involved & was quite disappointed at the unprofessional behaviour of this associate. Avoid it…
I empathise with the sentiment, but there's the problem - sentiment. The firms in question would hesitate for a moment to replace you. Reputations are rarely tied to movements - build a practice and a book that's fiscally attractive enough, and when you joined or did not join rarely becomes an issue.

It's not personal, it's just business.

The question then becomes an intrinsic one - would you do it or not is something YOU have to live with. Associates are dime a dozen, and they are, for the most part, treated as expendable. Deplorable, but it is what it is. Sure, there are some places where associates are given the respect and mentorship they require and deserve.

Therefore, if you receive a better offer, take it. You won't get it again. Break it to the firm you were supposed to join. It will speak volumes of THEIR professionalism and desire to retain / take you on board, if they match the offer you've received. If not, then, frankly, you owe them nothing, and neither do they owe you nothing.

Move on. Prioritise yourself.
Thanks so much you have no idea how helpful this comment is.

Also what do you think of the clause in PPO offer letters which prevent us from doing other internship in other firms in till the date of joining? I know for a fact that many PPO holders face this dilemma as to whether to violate it for a better opportunity or not.
Bear in mind that I've never gotten a PPO.

Disclaimer out of the way, if you've signed a document that prevents you from joining another firm or taking up another offer till the date of joining, then, if it were me, I would not consider another offer.

My understanding is as follows (and correct me if I'm wrong) - you're probably in your fourth or fifth year when you get a PPO. I'm also assuming that the firm offering you a PPO, ideally, would have only offered you the said PPO after at least two consecutive internships with the firm. Assuming you've done two internships at the firm, I'd assume that you are keen on the team / partner. If that is the case, then the question of another firm won't be a factor.

The question of breaching a PPO is one that must be answered by analysing the opportunity cost of breaching the PPO. If it is in the form of a contract, which gives the firm the option of prosecuting you for said breach, then, regardless of whether firms have historically pursued such an option (which I am certain they never have), I would not breach the PPO. The monetary difference, at an A0 level, is simply not worth the hassle.

If however, the monetary difference is far too attractive for you to pass up (and bear in mind that the only one who can determine this is you alone), then go for it. It depends on what you can live with - it is a small world at the top of the law firm pyramid, and word travels fast. Then again, remember, loyalty, idealistic to pursue, remains intangible. As I stated previously, work hard and smart enough, no one will really care about how you entered the game.

It remains, as always, your call.
In a same situation. Have accepted a PPO, don’t have an offer from another firm but the place I’ve accepted the PPO from, I’m not very interested in it and i feel my interests lie somewhere else. I feel accepting a PPO is now stopping me from exploring those interests. I don’t exactly hate the work, but being in law school rn, it’s the only time i get to explore.
My entire comment was based on the fact that the offer letter restricts you from taking up another offer & not interning anywhere till your course is over. It's not worth it in my opinion. I got a PPO & have that on my offer letter.
If you get a better offer, take it. But at least inform the earlier firm (whose offer you accepted) that you won't be joining them. Don't ghost them.
I did it.
Some advice (free ka) - Don't ghost the first firm. Be cordial about it. Apologise for wasting the other firms time (no, they may not deserve an apology but do it anyways) and move on with the better opportunity.
P.S. Don't apologise anywhere in writing. An apology in writing implies guilt :3.
Well, there are two things here. Legally you're in the clear. India has freedom of contract. You are free to work for who you choose and you are also free to not work for who you choose. So, apart from ensuring you follow contractual hygiene, nothing should really be a problem.

The other issue though is the ethics of doing this. Let me play Advocatus Diaboli here. If you give your word to someone, should you honour it? That's the ethical question here and why you've asked this question in the first place.

When you accept a job offer you give your word to someone and basis that the other person stops their hiring process. If you back out after accepting, they have to go back and do the hiring process all over again. While damages cannot be claimed, it cannot be denied that you are harming someone with your decision.

The question is whether the additional money you get with a better offer will justify you harming someone. Even if the harm is minor an inconsequential.

Those are my thoughts.