Read 26 comments as:
Filter By
Seen a lot of posts that argue that we should get on with our lives being disliked. Can the dislikers state what exactly is, their point of return/normalcy for them, considering that COVID is not going anywhere?
I'll state my viewpoint. Considering that COVID is not going anywhere, I believe we should get on with our lives. As the section of the population at least risk (statistically) and with the presence of vaccines that generally reduce your risk of hospitalisation, not sure what everyone is waiting for.
You getting hospitalised. That's what we all are waiting for. Bonus would be a d***h.
Avoided COVID for a solid year and a half during WFH. Got COVID within a month of getting back to the office. The 'minor' setback has made life extremely difficult even after, and a lot of people have noticed a difference in even stuff like going up multiple flights of stairs.

And what was it for? I was billing more hours while working from home. Plus we've added 2-3 hours of getting dressed, travelling, settling in, etc. Everyone just looks forward to and gets work done faster during WFH days anyway. Firms really need to look long and hard if permanent or even WFO a few days a week is required, or if people should only come in when needed.
Legally India disproportionately consists of those who love WFH and favour tighter COVID restrictions. As an A0, several of my colleagues including myself absolutely hate WFH, and can't wait to get back to office. State governments across the country have been reluctant to impose lockdowns, and most people behave as if the pandemic is over - because it is. This is an echo chamber.
I empathize with all of the A0s, I understand that it hasn't been the easiest experience to start working in the pandemic, especially given that teams give people 0 time to breathe sometimes. That being said, the vast majority of associates and seniors do not want to go back to a full WFO model, regardless of what the prevailing COVID restrictions are. I know for a fact that multiple large firms are already in the process of preparing for permanent hot-desking.

You guys are seeing green on the other side, but please consider the following issues, just somethings off the top of my head:

1. You think getting work at all hours of the night is bad, wait until you are made to wait in the office without any work until late night because your senior is taking 20 breaks and wants you there when they eventually get around to reviewing your deliverable.

2. The Zoom / Teams calls are frequently useless and you just sit around for hours, but imagine adding an hour or two of travel to do the exact same thing, and then going back to office and doing the other work for the day.

3. Travelling to the middle of no-where to do physical DDs (don't let the fancy hotels fool you, every time I had to go I barely had time to sleep in that nice bed. The charm ends after the first time.).

4. WFH can actually be more flexible as you get to choose your hours according to your work instead of sitting in the office when you don't have work because your partner is still in the office. Literally all the people who were yelling from the roof tops for the office for WFO are the same ones who look forward the most to the 'mid-week weekends' when their WFO days are over.

Legally India disproportionately consists of those who love WFH, because a lot of us have experienced the reality of WFO before the pandemic. Most people who want to go back to as it was before are A0s and out-of-touch seniors.

Lastly, while I appreciate the reason for why you would be so enthusiastic to return to the office, it would be prudent to learn about the people who are actually living with issues from COVID long after they have tested negative again, including many people in the associate pool.

Eventually, I'm sure whoever wants to go to the office everyday will be able to (a lot of firms already have their offices open for this). But most of us have moved on to accept the flexibility and control that WFH gives us over our lives, even if the cost is working more hours every day.
And - even if this statement in the uncontested truth - what's wrong with that?
I could roll my money into a puriya and stick it up my bum. What can you do about that? What I do with my money, whether save it or gamble, is not your concern as long as you get your deliverables. And get your deliverables you pretty much do, even better and faster than before.
Quote:
What I do with my money, whether save it or gamble, is not your concern
Not true. For argument's sake -

IF there is an incentive for anyone to exaggerate benefits of WFO or WFH it concerns the other side.

Associates can callout firms for pushing WFO (in hopes of pushing billing hours, show office headcounts, etc).
Firms can callout associates for pushing WFH (in hopes of saving money & then quitting earlier than usual!).
Is a really valid reason... Rent in mumbai is too costly and on top of that I have to spend money and a significant amount of time getting to office as well
Precisely, this trend of super-overcrowded cities like Mumbai, Delhi etc needs to stop. WFH will genuinely create more dispersed growth in the long run where people regardless of where they live can become a part of the mainstream economy. Firms can also tap the best of talents working in regional courts. I don't see how anyone loses out in the WFH economic framework. Or are these law firm managing partners really that shortsighted?
While this may sound like a little too stretched but yes, would take time but would be great
The law firm managing partners and partners arent short sighted,they are afraid that their lack of legal skills will stand exposed before the clients and the retainers.The regional talent of Courts is so much better than law firms,particularly the disputes teams of these law firms.Clients will want better representation and retainers wanting to learn will leave law firms.This is one of the effects of WFH and thats why law firms are refusing WFH on permanent basis.
So according to you, not saving rent money is the smart thing to do? lmao clown
Please don't identify yourself as anti-woke to post such worthless comments. There's reasonableness and empathy for others involved when people criticize wokes for being unreasonable. Being a prick isn't synonymous with being anti-woke.
We are getting on with our lives. However, we are smart enough to understand the getting on has changed (because Covid will go nowhere).
This can come only from someone who has not lost a loved one to COVID. I pray that such a thing should not happen to you.

Also, has COVID not shown us that a lot of work can actually be done from home. It has increased efficiency of not only the individual but also of the system. Travel for face to face meetings has reduced. Overhead expenses of offices have reduced. Workmen are more happy and productive. 3 hours/day of time spent on travelling, settling in, lunch break and other unnecessary but unavoidable distractions at office are now going into working.

COVID has shown us a mirror and changed the meaning of normal. It will be better if we draw our lessons from it.
I would like that you get long Covid ,just to awaken or rebirth somr cells of empathy in you. Then lets see you talk about getting on to live with Covid.If not,then SHUT UP.