Read 26 comments as:
Filter By
Details released by NLSIU given below. I calculated as follows: SC + ST + OBC + EWS + PWD = 64.5% quota seats, leaving 36.5% merit seats. This works out to 39 quota seats and 21 merit seats , since the total intake is 60. Out of the 21 merit seats 25% are reserved for Karnataka domicile, so only 16 seats are pure merit seats.

But what is very interesting is that NSLIU is reserving OBC, EWS, state domicile and PWD seats here but not in the 5 year programme. So is this a way to avoid that? Meanwhile, the Supreme Court case regarding NLSIU is still pending and alumni lawyers are still representing NSLIU and arguing that the Karnataka HC decision should stay (i.e. saying that NLSIU is a national institute and other NLUs are state government institutes).

The total number of seats shall be 60 (sixty). Seats shall be reserved as follows:

Scheduled Castes – 15%
Scheduled Tribes – 7.5%
OBCs – 27%
EWS – 10%
5% of the total intake shall be reserved horizontally for Persons with Disabilities (PWD);
30% of the total intake shall be reserved horizontally for women, and 25% of the total intake shall be reserved horizontally (compartmentalised) for Karnataka Students.

https://www.nls.ac.in/programme/3-year-llb-hons/
β€œMeritorious” students can go to Jindal, as long as public institutions exist, reservations will prevail and it shouldn’t be a problem even if 100% seats are reserved at public institutions. Take your β€œmerit” obtained by your privilege to private universities and maybe leave the country at some point if the policy hurts you.

Reservation is here to stay.
Reservation was meant to alleviate certain people to a certain standard and then let them join the rest but are you suggesting that some people will never be able to make it without reservation even when their parents are earning in lakhs and crores ?
So long as caste system exists, reservation will continue. You have a problem, leave the country or start reforming your family, neighborhood, society, state etc.
I did give him an option. Clearly you missed that part. I have got the same right as he does when he casually dubs other people to be meritless out of his privileged ass.
Oh yeah what about those students who go to Jindal after paying an exorbitant fees with a very low Lsat percentile? I belong to a general category , worked hard enough to achieve a 98 percentile for last year’s lsat exam. Even after that I couldn’t receive a considerable scholarship because my percentile was not 99. I had to give the exam again on June for the scholarship. But people like you who are hell-bent on using the logic of β€˜merit’ being dissolved due to reservation are paying 9 lakh plus don’t even care for your lsat score. Who are you to question the merit on the basis of reservation when y’all pay exorbitant expenses without a scholarship and spoil the campus for true β€˜meritorious’ students.

I hope this passes moderation as I have asked genuine questions
What is this 'merit' that you speak of? Before initiatives like IDIA started, people used to think that merit means having a parent to pay a few lakhs to coaching centres and another few to law schools, not to mention 4k to CLAT.
The 5 year programme already has domiciled seats. Check your facts, but then anyone who uses the term merit seats should not be expected to have any real merit.
No, the mistake is yours, dear overconfident and ideologically blinded law student. Look carefully at the date that this was posted. Now look at when you made the comment. Domicile was implemented after this was posted. Sorry, but most people can't tell the future like that.
Bruh how are you even counting? The horizontal reservation is applied across all categories, not just general merit.
I've noted that the fees is mostly the same for all students. In that case, if the seats reserved for SC/ST/PwD/EWS/OBC students are not filled, do they get offered to general category students?
There is an SOP of hierarchical reversal to general. But that never actually happens.
Lel do you think that people from these categories are poor/ fail to pay the fees? πŸ˜‚
Reservation is a joke. I know an OBC law grad who drove a Honda City while still in college and later paid 1 crore to study win the US. He graduated from DPS. Why should such people get reservation?
Merit seats is a joke. I know gen cat students who paid 10 lakhs over 2 years to get CLAT coaching, dropped an year to crack clat.
Are you literally comparing hardworking freshers or droppers with students whose cut-off comes reduced by 10-15 marks? Who are you?????

I have seen Sc/ST students taking drops and messing up clat as well

I have seen general students who took 2-3 years drop without any expensive coaching (just mocks) to get the merit unreserved seat.

But god your generalisation
Bhai tu rehne de. Majority of droppers or freshers don’t take coching but I have seen several reserved students take the the benefit of β€˜reservation’ and slide into expensive coaching as well. Don’t generalise
You do realise that merit general students whether droppers or freshers can get jobs while it your β€˜reserved’ batch that brings the quality down. Smhhhhh
They are droppers because they couldn’t avail the top cream seat even after working tirelessly with tearful eyes. You not able to differentiate is why you are so blindsided.
Because reservation was not meant to be an economic leveller, but a social leveller. You would have known that had you used that so-called merit of yours to actually study the law.
Not sure how sons of IAS/IPS or people earning crores are socially backward. In today's society, economic power plays an important role.
A 5-word comment posted 10 months ago was not published.
A 27-word comment posted 10 months ago was not published.
A 20-word comment posted 10 months ago was not published.