Read 30 comments as:
Filter By
Given that Jindal prides itself as a great interdisciplinary institution in law and humanities, how have its alumni fared as academics? Are there any notable alumni teaching or researching anywhere relevant? Or do they just go back to Jindal because there's no other place for them to teach?
I don't know of anybody who has graduated from JGLS and is currently teaching anywhere in India other than possibly JGLS itself. Will be happy to know about such people. Not that teaching at JGLS is in any way 'inferior', since it provides the best salary and working conditions in India at present of all law schools, including NLSIU.
Question is, is the pay still stellar if you teach at JGLS as a JGLS grad? I would imagine not.
Hey! OP of 2.1 here. Of course it is stellar - no one doubted that: all I wanted to know was whether, e.g. these two hypothetical profiles get paid the same:

1. B.A. LL.B. (Hons.) NALSAR; LL.M. Cambridge; and
2. B.A. LL.B. (Hons.), LL.M. JGLS.

I cannot imagine any reason why (2) should expect to get paid the same as (1), but I can be wrong, which is why I asked.

Now, this is a separate issue that both (1) and (2) will earn ~3X more than anyone at any NLU or most private institutions (except perhaps if they teach business law at ISB or something).
Both individuals holding LLMs from Oxbridge/Ivy League/Any Foreign University with credibility and LLM Alumni of JGLS get paid the same salary and promotions. Ultimately, just because one has a LLM from an Indian University (inc. JGLS) doesn't mean that they are treated differently than a foreign LLM holder. As long as you get employed, perform adequately as an academic (teacher) and scholar, you get the same salary, perks and promotions. However, recently JGLS has (not on paper/policy ofc, but in practice) started accelerating the promotion and appointment as Deans/Faculty Coordinators of its own Alumni (mostly BALLB/BBALLB/LLB holders, compared to LLM holders) in Faculty Positions.
Alright, this seems like a fair enough reply. I have n acquaintances at JGLS (n < 5), all having foreign LL.M.s, having graduated in the same year with B.A. LL.B. from the same law school. I discussed their pays and perks etc. with them and it was clear to me that JGLS HR does offer variance in pay as per the perceived strength of LL.M.s (almost near 50% difference between people).

I did not know if this variance would be applicable between JGLS-other LL.M.s as well, which I am glad to know it is not.
Both should expect to be get paid the same after having been hired because their qualifications are the same. No LLM degree is inherently superior to the other in terms of qualification. If the recruiter finds the second one below par, then they shouldn't be hired at all. But Jindal being a private concern in India, it is allowed to discriminate.
Most of the Jindal grads that are teaching at Jindal got their masters from universities abroad - including the likes of Cambridge. shrugs
Which was not even asserted, wtf? Gajab inferiority complex hai bhai.
Abey - if there is no one who falls in the second category, the answer OP is looking for would naturally not be there.
Most of the Jindal alumnus are not eligible (as of now) to teach at NLUs since there are multiple thresholds that must be met in order to become a professor at NLUs which includes PHD for a lot of universities. Given the first batch graduated in 2014-15, it’s very difficult to find someone who has finished their phd after LLM. Moreover, currently the best university to teach at might be Jindal in terms of pay, quality of life etc and you can find a lot of jindal alumni, Prof Shireen Moti and Esha Rana for instance teaching at Jindal. Jindal looks at its alumni very favourably for professorship, so there’s no need to go to other places to teach tbh. As long as you have good academic credentials you can easily come back and teach at Jindal. Infact, a very recent Jindal graduate who got a scholarship to study at Cambridge was given the offer to come back and teach at Jindal on his convocation.
Just one correction. There's not yet any need to get a PhD to become an Assistant Professor in any NLU. UGC has put the on hold till 2023. Only LLM and UGC NET are enough, though a PhD may make your case stronger.
Have a look at this- https://www.nalsar.ac.in/sites/default/files/Notification%20faculty%20April%202018.pdf

The qualifications required are insane for a job that doesn’t pay that well.

In order to become a professor at NLU, there’s so much that needs to be done. Getting a phd and clearing the NET. And the pay is not very good either. JGLS is a young law school, very few people would have those credentials. You won’t find a lot of people from a lot from a lot of prominent NLUs like NLUJ, GNLU, NLUD teaching at govt universities for the same reason.
The pay is great compared to the hours that need to be put in. Far better than law firms in contextual comparison.
Every single student who has ever been to law school would agree to what I have written. If someone is contesting it, I dare them to come up with proof of that. Mentioning how A or B works harder than this isn't really evidence.
Check his LinkedIn though, he has purged himself of the Jindal name altogether. That speaks volumes wrt to the situation at hand lmao. I, myself, plan to purge the Jindal name from my roster in the future as well.
You don't really know the real reason why he is so keen to disassociate from Jindal, trust me it has nothing to do with him thinking lowly of Jindal.
You gave it away yourself that you’re not from Jindal, if you were, you’d have known that he is one if the most connected alumni Jindal has had. Still regularly comes for guest lectures and provides his juniors with recommendations.

And since you’re so much into stalking people on LinkedIn, maybe you should check that he regularly shares links to random guest lectures at JGLS (https://www.linkedin.com/posts/sabarish-suresh-230a64170_as-part-of-the-lassnet-webinar-series-professor-activity-6847049593650339840-tOnE)

If you were an actual Jindal student, you would have known that he removed his Jindal credentials from LinkedIn as part of a protest done by alumni pertaining to the issue of harassment/bullying of a student. You can find his comment on the linkedin post (https://www.linkedin.com/posts/rahul-verma-76638921b_education-law-india-activity-6838385716033073152-Kofs)-

Quote:
It's high time that Jindal stop its age old tricks of intimidating students who question the administration. It's sad to see the DC still being used as a vituperative method to frighten students to fall in line. Whoever is the Chair of the Disciplinary Committee now should resign for allowing this intimidation to go through. Shame on Raj and his cronies.
Clearly shows that he is concerned and well connected with the student body. The protest was against the admin. Take your agenda somewhere else.
LLM is atleast one year and PhD takes a minimum of 3 years. To become a notable academic you need couple of academic papers and atleast a PhD to be taken seriously. JGLS's first batch graduated in 2014 so the fastest one could have done a PhD was in 2018. Not saying its impossible but very difficult for one to be an academic of repute in 3 years.

That being said, Dr Vinay Sharma (JGLS grad 2014) was a Postdoc fellow at Zhejiang University (QS World Rank #53) until Covid struck. Anush Rajagopal (JGLS grad 2017) is a doctoral fellow at University of East Anglia. Rishabh Bajoria (JGLS grad 2019) is currently pursuing a PhD at Cambridge and is one of the select few Gates Cambridge Scholar. Titiksha Mohanty (JGLS grad 2017) and Navya Jannu (JGLS grad 2016) are both pursuing PhD at Oxford. Pitamber Yadav (JGLS grad 2017) is a research assistant at NUS. There are so many others that the list will just keep on going on and in the coming years the number is only bound to increase. Give JGLS some time, hardly fair to compare it with institutions who have been in existence for decades when this is one of those things where time really plays a critical role.
I know one who was teaching at UPES until recently and another one currently teaching at Bennett. Not putting their names out there but if you are really curious it wont be that hard to find them.