Read 9 comments as:
Filter By
Happy 2022!

At a NYE reunion party I met some long lost friends. It was good to see everyone doing so well in life!

It dawned on me how shortsighted I was in my career lured by NLUs, law firms, money, etc
YET friends with better WLB have better jobs and earn more.
Those with similar WLB have higher pay, NW and growth potential.
The friend with lower NW had a 100x adventurous life and WLB.

I talked this over with my SO and we agreed 100%.
YOLO and this way of life is not worth it.
In 2022 I will bid farewell to my T1 job to move someone better.

Only thing I cannot understand is - why are good inhouse jobs so invisible?
How do I get one? I do not mind even a 25-30% cut in my package for long term gain.

Anyone who has done NLU to T1 to In-House?
1. Cut down on the abbreviations. You're trying too hard to be cool.
2. There are multiple threads about In-house, go through them first.
3. The reason good in-house jobs are invisible is because there are none. In simple words in-house legal teams more often than not are incompetent. Moreover there is no growth after a point so it's either work life balance or career growth.
4. I wish you well for your future endeavours. The firm life after a point is unbearable and there is no denial in that. If I was as courageous as you're I would have left long back too.
Quote:
Only thing I cannot understand is - why are good inhouse jobs so invisible?
That is because you are just a support function for the company. You are not directly contributing to company's revenue or profit. Some inhouse jobs like HUL or ICICI might pay well simply because how big these companies are.
"Support function for the company".

How different is that from a law-firm, drafting documents by modifying templates (often taken from these "so-called" support function legal teams), working off term-sheets provided by these support function legal teams? Gone are the days when an in-house legal team would act as only a support function and nothing more. Today, the legal teams have a seat at the table as strategists, just as much as business colleagues driving the transaction(s).
The entitre nature of our work, whether it being Law Firm or In-house is of a highly paid clerk.
Myth that law firms are the only good paying jobs is perpetuated by those like 1.1

Look around and you'll find plenty!
I am doing Lit. I have decided that I will be moving to a corp law firm this year. The pay is not commensurate to the efforts and slogging. Ache din are far away.