Read 9 comments as:
Filter By
What is happening to law students/grads? Are all people openly insensitive and entitled or is it that law school brings out the worst from people? Why is the RW/LW divide so stark in law schools?? Why are people so keen to always boycott others who may not come from a similar background? Also wtf is this culture of bringing about revolutions through WhatsApp +1s on the batch group?? I am more than halfway through law school and seriously don't understand what's going on with these people

*there has been no triggering event for this, just midnight musings. Genuine answers appreciated. Tnx
Man, first of all welcome to law school.
All these things is very very very common in NLUs.
Just to make it more clear to you I will break down it into 4 points-
a) Law schools are one of the most disunited organisations.
b) Cheap level politics is very common.
c) Be prepared for constant back-stabbing from so called friends.
d) Abnormal level of toxicity'.
But why do you think this happens? It is because of the rigour of the course that gets people frustrated or the worst rich entitled brats get here or any other reason?
Rigor? What rigor? If true rigor was unleashed, half these kids would stop being so cocky.

Rich brats, blah. Doesn't matter. People need something to categorize other people. Simple as that. Utter bullshit.
It's just people with big egos who make it a matter of life and death. This happens when people don't value human relationships and it's as easy to "unfriend" someone. Oh and worse, when people don't realise the difference between the digital world and the real world.
Just like how I was forced to meet up with cousins who I hate because because one of them wanted to post an Instagram story with the stack of pizzas on New Year's and project how wonderful their life was on social media.
It's tribalism in play without us even knowing.
It was not like this in the 90s and 2000s at all. Wokeism and cancel culture from the far-left have created this atmosphere. Not just in NLUs but worldwide. Even JK Rowling has been cancelled from universities, despite her liberal credentials. What else is there left to say?

Read this article from today's news:

Rise of social media has 'turned university students into snowflakes' by making them less able to see other points of view, say researchers

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10359887/Rise-social-media-turned-university-students-snowflakes.html
Ya right! Far left famously had a field day in the 90s with fall of Soviet Union and Berlin Wall and opening up of China (sarcasm)!!

Bhai, thodi history hi path lo tum lok.

Yes, snow-flake-ism is on the up but to blame it on the left (or the right) misses the point. It is more a result of pliant parenting (overcompensating for not being present), rise of nuclear families (reducing socialization with cousins slightly older always happy to put you in place) and resultant clientelism percolating to schools/colleges/universities.

Neoliberalism did this - not left or right wing. It is the social outcome of an economic system.

PS: Neoliberalism comes within the larger economic-right. However, I assume you used far-left as a political ideology and therefore I claim that neither left or right, as political ideologies, created the problem you lament.
Social media has turned into echo chambers. People no longer care to understand opposite views as they have enough people validating their views in these echo chambers. Basically, social media has polarized people. Right and left parties are gaining while centrists political parties/politicians are wiped out.