Read 44 comments as:
Filter By
The first thing on a CV is obviously your name. Increasingly we see many NLU students adding their pronouns in brackets. The reasons are:

1. Some names can sound both female and male. For foreigners, they don't have a clue, so helpful when applying abroad for jobs or LLMs.

2. It gives a message you are social aware and believe in liberal values. That you are not a bigot.

But I wonder how many people actually do this? Also, can it backfire if your CV is read by a RW person?
Pronouns is an American nonsense. It doesn't matter in India.

Anyways firms don't care whether you have sex with a man or women. What organ is inside your undergarments etc or whether you identify yourself as a man or women or car or even as an attack helicopter.

These days people are even identifying themselves as cat, alien and attack helicopter.

So yeah.
Pronouns bhi Right left ho gye?
Ave daalna hai toh daalo bhai jeevan me itna nhi sochte, if you wanna do something, get done with it, especially this silly.
No educated human being cares. He/she/they/Spiderman/Shaktiman kuch bhi rakhlo. Bottom line is tumharey pronouns tumko 14ghantey ka DD sey nhe bacha sakta.
As a bleeding heart liberal, my pronouns are strictly part of my personal life and have no place on my CV, the same way as my sexual orientation and other ancillary information. By all means, others may start putting in their pronouns as they please, so my chances at getting a job can increase.
As an openly LGBTQA+ person who is at the Bar. I agree with this 100%. My sexual orientation has always been "MYOB".
Tell that to Mr. Bhoot who seems to be trying to make this his...meal ticket.
Point 2 is certainly not true. You can mention your preferred pronoun and still be a bigot. You can choose to mention it and still not be a bigot. It is a cosmetic practice and has got nothing to do with your values. Asking others if they would like to be addressed by certain pronouns as a matter of courtesy, now that may reveal something about your values.
1. Don’t have one size fit all CVs.

2. No need for pronouns for an Indian law firm job.

3. Not really needed for an international law firm job either. But, you may want to put them in depending on the feedback you might have received from your seniors about the place.

4. Not really needed for an LLM application in Europe, UK or Australia. However, again tailored the CV for specific places depending on the people there which you’ll need to figure out from seniors who went there.

5. Possibly put them in for an American LLM application. Not everyone will agree out there, but you’ll be on the safer side with it. It’s cosmetic and you may not believe in the crap but it is here to stay.

6. Absolutely must for a Canadian LLM application. It’s not as if you’ll be selected because of it or rejected in the alternate. However, it will be a nice touch.

7. For a PhD application, know that your documents will go down to the prospective supervisors irrespective of the country. Figure out who these people might be and try to suss out what they might believe in. Then make the application accordingly.
Adding pronounces is now standard international practice, so it matters if you are applying for jobs in Magic Circle firms or working with international clients. You will find many NLSIU alumni on LinkedIn in senior positions adding their pronouns.
Honestly, it depends upon the firms you're applying for.

I know of a young, overachieving PA in a T1 who put their pronouns in their first mail to me. I'm sure they would've appreciated the pronouns if someone had sent them a CV asking for recommendation etc.

However, as people have noted above, most firms have age-old hiring practices which don't care. That said, I doubt it would do you harm. HRs are so much more used to forgetting the existence of everything else apart from your college & GPA, in any case. Even if they don't recognise it as a good practice, I doubt they'd penalise you for that in any way.

Keep in mind that foreign [EU & US] firms are a different matter altogether. Most have diversity hiring policies, so you'd probably benefit with the pronouns there.
Libs woking on pronouns like its coke while the conservatives govern. True for much of the world.
All this woke crap is total BS. All that matters is your capability to do good work. People who usually end up doing this crap are the ones who don't have the merit to go with their resume and instead try to ride this crap-flight.

Wokes are the worst!
A 42-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
I feel it is very important these days to put your pronouns on your CV and social media. It shows you believe in gender equality and are not a homophobe. It is especially important for Indians, because there is rising homophobia from the RW and people abroad will feel safe and reassured after knowing that you are not one of them.
Why should straight people declare pronouns? Only LGBT people need to declare "they/them" or "ze/zer", as a way of telling people they are not straight. Otherwise it's obvious you are straight!
An American university has explained the possible pronouns we should use to create a safe space. All of you posting should read this first before making ignorant and bigoted comments.

https://wou.edu/wp/safezone/pronouns/

We all unfortunately attended heteronormative schools where we were taught that he/him and she/her are the only possible pronouns. Children in progressive schools in the US nowadays learn the table below and we too should learn this table.

hi there, can some who uses pronouns other than he/she/they explain why you choose to do so? Not to be rude, but I don't see the point of so many others when they/them gets the job done
NALSAR is the most progressive of all law schools, as it allows "Mx" on grad certificates instead of "Mister" or "Miss".
No one gives a flying (...). This new age liberal woke crap will die down. Useless.
A 11-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
It seems that a lot of RWs are using LI, or liberals have turned RWs. I love it.
A few days ago I was copied on a mail by an American woman law firm partner who is a visiting prof at a top US law school. She wrote "She/Her" at the end of her email signature. So people who are saying here that pronouns are not important are wrong. Maybe it is not a popular practice in India yet but top people in America are doing it. This will surely catch on in India in future, once the present youth become the leaders of the legal profession.
It's the same things as do not put a photo on your CV, do not put your parents name and their job in the CV, do not put your likes and dislikes on your CV. All of those things are PERSONAL. Maintain the gap between personal and professional.
Nobody cares. People will laugh at you. There was this one lawyer who petitioned the SC to add pronouns and use them while addressing or referring to lawyers. Made a complete fool of himself. Some firm partners use them without knowing what they are about.

Steer clear.
A 10-word comment posted 3 months ago was not published.