Read 32 comments as:
Filter By
Lets call a spade a spade... SAM has been fantastic when it come to the pandemic and they have just announced:
1. the reopening of their office on 3 Jan is deferred indefinitely in light of Omicron;
2. A rejuvenation break of 9 days for all lawyers and staff from 25 Dec to 3 Jan.
Lets show them some love and make others follow suit....
Rejuvenation break my A$$. Everyone takes leaves during Christmas and New years..most people have so much leave balance left. Plus no one is coming to work anyways so this is not quite the big deal that they are blowing it up to be. It's not like you've given people extra money or great Christmas bonuses. Don't make it out to be whar it's not.

Just another Jhumla like your other guujju Jhumle baaz.
I think even if the Christmas bonus was delivered straight up your rear end, you'd have found something to complain about.
Actually curious to know- does the leave balance even matter? I was under the belief that even if you take a leave officially, you would still be getting work.
But at least utna toh kar rahe hai.

CAM mein they're literally calling up people and asking why they're not in office.
Sam and Cam - treating associates the way they treat their mother.
Expecting respectable treatment at a Indian law firm is being hopeful.But expecting respect at law firm, where the mother had refused assets to a person in her will reasoning that the son didnt treat her well, is a bit too much of an expectation
If this is actually true, and not a PR stunt, it's an incredible move and deserves to be appreciated!
I have calls and deliverables scattered across the next week, so no, it's not exactly a "break". That said, those days being off on paper does relieve us of a little burden and we won't be logging in for 13 hrs a day.
This is actually worth praising unlike his brother who only organises a carol webinar in the name of holidays and break, extends 3-days a week WFO till January in the name of omicron scare because you cannot catch virus if you work 3 days from office...... guess CAM will never learn how to treat people who work day and night for them ..... waiting for March 31st so eagerly
Please examine why there are de-juvenation issues to begin with. A more systemic search.
I remain skeptical how many days will actually be a leave. But I, for one, am glad that burnout and mental health as an issue is at least acknowledged at firm wide level.
See even if it is a PR stunt it is a step in the right direction.

40 years ago you'd have families going "Dowry nahi chahiye" (but secretly expect girls family to give gifts and fund the wedding). In the next generation, the same families are splitting wedding expenses.

Point is - Unless there is some revolution, all change is slow, and all such changes start as a PR stunt / intent to brag. But then, the real change follows this.

You can't pooh-pooh the first step. Encourage it like mad, make SAM sound like the best fucking shit, sing praises of the Shroffs, other firms will face the pressure to follow and this practice will get entrenched.

If the public disses SAM, then even SAM itself literally has no incentive to continue this.
This practice has been going on in large accounting firms (big 4 and some other comparatively smaller ones) for few years now.
What about the other part. Opening of office deferred indefinitely. That is remarkable. Even if the break is a PR stunt, this is not and needs to be applauded.
Even if it’s PR, isn’t it great that there’s a recognition that these are the issues worth making the right noises about?

10 years ago, PR would have been around which firms billed extra during the Christmas period, ffs. Now, clients are getting the message that your work is important, but so are our people so your work will have to wait.

I for one think that even if it means that lawyers can work half days every day for the next week, it’s a really good thing.

The second bit of news is even more important. Recognising that offices should not reopen is huge. Management making sure that no partners can force associates to be in office unnecessarily, unlike other places where management is itself forcing associates to be in office unnecessarily.
appreciated

here they are calling us alternate week and planing to open office with 100% for all days in Jan, 2021

AGBeee be like β€œOmicron? Covid? Dont panic! everything is fine”
AGBee is calling ppl retrospectively in Jan 2021!! What are you smoking!!! Spelling the firm and then the year incorrectly. Bade hi galat insaan ho tum
I am currently working on a deal where SAM Delhi is for the other side. I can confirm that the team is working. So, at least for that team, this PR has no meaning.
Its a deal,they cannot refuse to work.Had they not been working,you would be complaining here about how SAM teams dont do the work on deals and take leaves
Lot of people will leave in 2022 after the break. They will get time to think and analyze during the break.
While the rejuvenation break is a scam (we all know that) but one has to appreciate the fact that SAM has announced WFH. Cases are on the rise - mumbai reported 922 cases on Dec 26. Under such circumstances why call lawyers and staff mandatorily to office? Sadist and arrogance on part of younger brother! Nothing else.
The funniest thing is, the last week of every year has been an off in the Big Fours, for several years. While the leave is adjusted against your leave balance, they ask people to mandatorily take off/not come to work/use LTA (actually, best time to use LTA, 'cos anyway tickets will be expensive during this time) etc.

So, what's the big deal, if SAM does this? They are doing what other professional services firms have already been doing for several years. But, good job they have implemented this now at least.