Read 24 comments as:
Filter By
I notice that out of the successful NLU and Jindal alumni a large share come from these schools:

Delhi: DPS RK Puram, Modern, Sardar Patel, St Columba's, Vasant Valley, CJM etc

Mumbai: Cathedral, Campion, JB Petit, Ambani, RN Podar, Singhania etc

Bengaluru: St Joseph's, Bishop Cotton, Mallya Aditi etc

Kolkata: La Martinere, St Xavier's, St James, Loreto House etc

And similar top schools in Hyderabad, Chennai, Poona, Chandigarh, Ahmedabad + residential schools.

Basically, around 70 schools from across 10 cities + 10 residential schools = 80 schools.

So is it really schools which make people successful rather than college?
Kolkata at least has several other schools that contribute to successful NLU alumni. Including government schools.
The crowd that goes to these schools is usually from elite and privileged classes. The famous alumni you've heard of usually comprise the top 1-2% of this already privileged group, making them the creme de la creme.

Does that level of privilege contribute more towards your 'success' than your college? Most definitely, it does!
This! It's just a marker of pre existent familial privilege and connections
Exactly, OP has a revolutionary finding that privilege defines success in life!

The schools in Kolkata you mentioned almost exclusively cater to the top 0.01% of the richest population in India. From the top of my head, I can also remember that CLAT AIR 2 in 2013 was from Kolkata and she was from the Modern High School for Girls (which has a lot of very successful NLU alumni - even big law firm partners). That school is more or less an ultra-privileged school and one can easily see dozens of children of celebrities and famous businessmen on any given day. The school literally shares a wall with the Birla family residence (and is also founded by the Birlas on their property).

To attribute the success of its pupils to merely the school is induced blindness - it is always the intangible privilege that comes with the 'membership of the club' that one gets by studying at places like these. Want an internship at Khaitan & Co.? Sure, tell your school batchmate whose parents are partners. Want to make sure your SoP is perfect for Harvard? Sure, ask you school batchmate who had a legacy admission. Just how much privilege works invisibly is mind-boggling.

Also, before weirdos on LI call me a jealous bitch, I also come from that same position of privilege and have been living abroad for quite a while now - I acknowledge that much of what I have done would not have been possible without a rich dad and a powerful mom.
OP has said "etc" and mentioned 10 schools per city. Sure, the elite full list of top Kolkata schools would be Xavier's, La Martinere, James, Loreto, Don Bosco, International School, Heritage, South Point, CBS, Modern High and other Birla schools, blah blah blah. But that doesn't change the point that schooling matters more!
I am writing because I am confused - I think we agree, right? You also said what I said, but then somehow made it sound like you were stating a new point and I was contradicting OP.

If that was not clear enough, I was just citing an example in favour of the general statement (which you re-stated), which should have been apparent by my use of the phrase 'from the top of my head'.
Heritage, Loreto and CBS are in no way of the same club as the others.
Schooling which gives you good command over English language and improves your writing skills will definitely (indirectly) churn out better lawyers. The same way a school with very strong STEM faculty will churn out better engineers/scientists/doctors.
The schooling isn’t that important. The friends you have at these schools is important. I am from Delhi and almost every kid at modern, sardaar Patel, vvs etc have a father who is a very rich businessman, a politician, a bureaucrat or a senior advocate. I have a few friends and they get cases just because of their school friends. It’s a huge huge advantage. You may NEVER get into these circles if you don’t go to these schools.
I will shoot the next person in an NLU who is from DPS RK Puram. And there are SO MANY of them.
Can someone here tell me by doing which government job I'll be able to send my kids to these schools in the future? No trolls. Genuine question. How much should I be earning to do this?
I think to a certain extent it does. Given the kind of approach students take to things and the general student culture. But don't let it dampen your spirit. People work hard to make it to elite law schools so that they get to experience the same quality peer groups. Which you seem to have given that it promoted you to do this research. So let that soak in for the remainder of your law school years and there would be no difference between you and them.
I wouldn't say that. People at NLUs acknowledge people( mostly in the first year) because of their schooling. You basically have no credentials other than your schooling and that is seen when evaluating club/committee memberships. However, you can make up for this by being excellent at academics and extra-curricular but for that, you need some guidance from seniors, and when your seniors are from such schools while you are from a regional small city school, that camaraderie isn't established in let's say a month or two. It really gives you an advantage, being in these schools solely from the perspective of Alumni.
99% of your life is determined by the accident of birth. The sooner you realize it the better.
Sorry for sounding classist, but it's actually good for NLUs to attract students from these colleges. They usually bring with them high standards of English, cosmopolitan and secular values, and liberal attitudes towards women. We need more of this in the legal profession. They also boost the image of NLUs and help stop brain drain, as these students could otherwise head abroad for their undergrad.

Let's look at Rhodes scholars. Sudhir and Nandan are from St Joseph's Bangalore, Dev and Arghya are from St Xavier's Calcutta ... I can go on yaar.
You are so delusional if you think the liberal attitudes towards women part is really accurate. They just have other forms of misogyny. It does sound classist. Rhodes scholars are from these places because the kids from privileged schools also tend to get more opportunities even within college. Not because of only "superior English skills" etc. but also because they can afford to travel more, pay for expensive moots and generally have more exposure.
This is not to take away from the achievements of any of the individuals mentioned. Just putting your comment in perspective.
Right. That's why the NLUs are full of misogyny, casteism, trans-hatred and so on. UC people have even more of these 'qualities' than poor students who are just going there to get a decent job and earn a living and don't have time for the nonsense.