Read 32 comments as:
Filter By
1. NLS' autonomy over the test. CLAT, lately, has been an absolute joke.
2. It is a 3-stage exam, which includes an interview too!
3. Students with specialized background.
4. More mature, pragmatic, and competitive compared to 18-year-olds.

What are your opinions? I don't know why would NLS do this?!
A 8-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
Not at nlus. Most 3 year institutions didn’t have proper facilities, teachers and student quality. This will.
Irrelevant ? You do know that all the MPs, senior advocates, judges, etc are all from 3 year LLB right? Gandhi, Nehru, ambedkar, Jinnah, C.R Das, Salve, Nariman, Jetmalani, Palikivala and Menon... are all those without proper facilities, teachers and in each of these cases, must be, student quality.

- R
@R that is a very stupid statement to make. Gandhi, Nehru, Jinnah, Ambedkar all went abroad for both their undergrad and law degrees. All were qualified barristers.

At the time of nani, salve, Jethmalani etc. Income inequality was very high. Much higher than today. The only people going to these college were kids from extremely elite families. The professors as well came from extreme privilege and had amazing education background.

Please look at the quality of glc, clc etc. ask a senior advocate if the quality of students and teacher is even remotely the same?
Was a five year program or NLU present at the time of Gandhi, Nehru, ambedkar, Jinnah, C.R Das, Salve, Nariman, Jetmalani, Palikivala and Menon?
The problem of old people like you is they always talk about 1940s era.
All the sitting/former judges of SC and HC are from 3 year law institution. Your proper facility point is so irrelevant which is demeaning the prestigious institutes like DU and GLC.
Your NLU glamour is sold to Corporate firms. Whereas DU and GLC ppl are grinding their asses in constitutional courts. Stop glorifying this NLU tag every single time.
All these judges are in their 50s and 60s. Let’s wait for 20 more years and then see the results. Go ask an litigating lawyers if they have two students who are exactly the same and one is from an Nlu and the other from GLC whom will they hire?
You are right. At the same time, stop glamorizing the grinding that the average DU or GLC grad goes through too. If they had corporate options as readily as the NLU grads, most would have taken it.
The 3 year LLB has never and will never affect the 5 year LLB placements. It has been proven in many institutes like Jindal, Symbiosis, or even GLC where the 5 year graduates are always preferred over the 5 year ones. The 5 year LLB alumni base is so strong that it will keep recruiting 5 year llb graduates and the introduction of the 3 year course won’t even make a dent in the placements of the 5 year llb. The alumni network is massive and alumnis are mostly loyal to the 5 year old llb’s. We can draw a parallel to the masters course. We can see that the placements for llm students in nlu’s are as good as non existent, that’s because the alumni base of the llm students isn’t mature and expanded enough to make an impact yet, whereas 5 year llb has proven to be the best gateway ticket to the corporate firms. Therefore, strictly speaking in terms of placement prospects, the 3 year llb will not and will never outdo 5 year llb’s as the alumni network isn’t going to decline, infact it is keep rising more than ever.
CLAT is largely based on your aptitude in the English language. Only a certain few percentage of population of India is blessed with the privilege to get excellent early education in English medium schools so as to comfortably tackle the CLAT examination. Whereas, every student who is lucky enough to get an opportunity to earn a graduate degree has also simultaneously learned skills in teaching themselves new subjects through reading and self learning ( because as you mention in the replies, facilities are not the best like your privileged self receives from NLUs). And thus, call it a levelled playing field, students who were not fortunate enough to receive excellent early education, will now (after graduation in any field) be in a more suitable position to compete with the privileged ones, like yours truly. Why show such insecurity because of that?
Adding to that, the willingness to take the risk of shifting their academic field is usually not merely for financial benefits. So it's unsurprising that you find very few from 3 year llb leaning to the corporate world. Aspirations for serving the public is more dominant among them and maybe NLUs too want to take pride in having produced some of those kinds.
I think this 3 year LLB is not going to bode well for 5 year LLBs in some aspects. The selling point of 5 year NLU LLBs to law firms and corporates have been that they are a creamy layer and a tad better then a run of the mill 3 year LLB law school. No one is trying to belittle anyone from 3 year LLB, but it is the same IIT analogy..people who clear IIT JEE and qualify from IIT have a natural edge in recruitments similar to people who clear CLAT and pass out from NLUs. But the 3 year LLB will be creating a new class altogether because while they will be from a 3 year law course but they will have an equal stake of calling themselves LLB from NLSIU. This will be a major disruptor. These days if people do a distance learning course from NALSAR they call themselves a NALSAR product. Law firm recruiters would probably still know that a 5 year LLB is to be preferred over a 3 year LLB from the same NLU. But corporate HRs for in-house recruitment, most of whom themselves are underqualified may not even know the difference. The 3 year LLB kid who probably failed in his 5 year CLAT exam will now have an equal or more than equal chance of taking away the job of a regular 5 year LLB kid, who probably did way harder hard work to clear his/her CLAT exam hence rendering that hard work moot. I think this 3 year LLB is a bad idea for all NLU grads so far and their alums.
Well it's not necessary that the 3 year LLB aspirant had failed clat. In most of the cases, students who pursue 3 year LLB decide doing it after a lot of thought process (unlike 5 year LLB where a goggle eyed child pursues law without a mature thought process or perhaps he wasn't able to crack medical or engineering entrance - look at the class 12 subjects of majority of 5 year LLB students).
To dear 1.3.1...not everyone in the country wants to become engineer or doctor..you have a pathetic mindset when you say look at the class 12 subjects of 5 year LLB students...so what are you saying I should have taken law in class 12th...well there is no option like that in 12th. In fact lot of schools do not even have art as an option, it is either science or commerce. Taking science doesn't mean I want to be an engineer and taking commerce doesn't mean I want to be the next Amartya Sen. Someone can take Science and be equally interested in law. For hell's sake there are numerous Bsc LLB integrated 5 year courses available so your argument is moot. I even had a friend in law school who left his IIT seat to pursue law. Dr Siddhartha Arora the famous unacademy teacher was doing MBBS and then he became a practicing SC lawyer. You are implying that law is somehow easier than medical or engineering which is not true. It is true that some people might be doing 3 year LLB after a lot of thought process. But I will still respect those who were clear about their dreams of pursuing law from school onwards. I purposefully chose law, and when I got placed in a tier 1 law firm I was earning much more than my engineer and doctor friends. So in the end it is all about choice. Making it to NLSIU or Nalsar is equally tough.
Kahiin deep jale, kahiin dil

Why are you so butt-hurt?
Aren't all your points equally true for 3 year LLB students as well?
Btw, just check the no. Of medical / engineering aspirants in your batch.

Also BSC LLB is a shit course. It is a gimmick by universities to make more money. Having interacted with BSC LLB kids, their knowledge of science is sub-par.
I am not butt hurt but in fact it seems you are the frustrated one here..probably you are a medical/engineering aspirant who couldn't achieve that so is now thinking that everyone is like me....I am sure you are not from NLS also..my batch from NLS did not have any medical/engineering rejects....sorry we are a top law school and all my batchmates have been single mindedly obsessed with law as career right from their school days. Some might have been engineering aspirants only to keep their options open (not rejects) but wanted law more than IIT (a very close friend turned his IIT seat for NLS). And btw more than 3 year LLB, my reply was on your dumb comment of having science in class 12th implying that the same is because I want to be an engineer. I had science in class 12th because I hated commerce. That's it. And I know a lot of other people in my batch who took science but had no intentions of going to IIT. And the number of upvotes on my comment make it clear that your point is moot.

Secondly it is a common knowledge that degrees like BA, B.Com, BBA and Law and even MBA are fairly easily attainable in market from private schools or other Tier III universities. So it is true that lot of engineering/medical aspirants who can not get into IIT/AIIMS etc (for the same reason they couldn't get into NLS either) find it easy to just get a MBA/law/BBA etc from any Tier III college. So probably you are talking about these people. But it doesn't matter if you are a MBA or Law grad, what matters is where you did it from!!! Obviously a law from NLSIU and an MBA from IIM-A hits different.
It is really stupid to compare class 12th subjects to a professional course like Law or MBA. My brother was Physics olympiad winner in school. He then did his MBA in marketing and now runs marketing campaigns for a giant MNC. His physics olympiad medal has zero relevance to what he is doing now professionally. Personally speaking yes science is still his passion and he reads a lot on the subject, and at the same time he enjoys his job. The two are not related. I had commerce in class 12 and now I am a lawyer. There is zero connection between the two. I almost took maths in 12. Had I taken maths I am pretty damn sure I would still have been a lawyer. Might have given IIT exams for the heck of it, but law would have been my preference.
You really understand how fragile 5 year NLU students think their social position is in posts like this no?

By all accounts the 3 year programme at nls is geared to fairly different public service like aims and the rigorous admissions process makes it more likely that they’ll achieve them. It’s unlikely that these students will go after the same corporate jobs that the ballbs go after anyway- graduate students who already have a degree often have very different motivations for enrolling in universities again.
Even if some of these students want to join corporate law firms, there is no reason for at least other nls students to be threatened. There’s plenty of jobs to go around for all of them.
It might be a good thing in the long run as well- it might force nls students from getting complacent and bring some maturity into the campus culture.
Maturity in campus culture? Many of the faculty Sudhir has been gathering as part of his coterie actually feeds the superiority complex and snobbery of NLSIU students by actually displaying those very qualities themselves when they had been students and even now. People who have actually interacted with them are well aware of that. I won't name anyone here.
OMG, chill out man. Not everything is a rat race, not everything is zero-sum-game. The legal market and generally the country will benefit from a better trained lawyers, and if NLS is providing that, that is a good thing. Going by the train of logic that everyone is providing here, we should not push for better facilities and improved quality of education in traditional law colleges as well, since that could be a "destructive" for those who graduate from NLUs.
Is this Akash Ganapathy or some other NLS 3 year LLB idiot commenting this?
Honestly, if the admin were not so invested in pushing and promoting the LLB batch over the BALLB batch at every single event related to internships or placements, the batch would have seen even fewer internship offers. During this year's day zero for the 2024 batch, the admin barged in during a few interviews only to promote the LLB batch to the partners. All they know is to live in their own superiority complex and keep complaining- during the recent Moot rounds, these guys cribbed and complained that the problem was too complex and lengthy.
Real. They will say that they have a grad degree, more matured and God knows what not but fail to capture any inter-batch spot which doesn't have a reservation for non-BALLB students.
A 46-word comment posted 2 months ago was not published.