Read 16 comments as:
Filter By
So CAs can represent clients in front of DGTR proceedings, can initiate trade Remedy cases, and can fight WTO cases.

Good to know.

@ R.
Why do you approve of such comments which are clearly written by (..) 1st years.
You cannot do a DGTR filing without a CA, and nothing stops CAs from making legal submissions as well. AK Gupta is a Cost Accountant, and represents most of the domestic industry.

Yaar, burn toh mereko bhi hua, I'm a practising trade lawyer. But DGTR work- it's a CA's world. And the money is @ DGTR. So.
Been working longer than you have known the corridors of the DGTR, Sonu.
From not censoring ♥day to censoring "Gawaar",
you sure have come a long way, R.
1. DGTR work doesn't pay well.
2. CAs can handle almost 90% of the work.
3. Domain is too small to be practiced exclusively. (Hence the Customs/IDT laywers doing it at will)
If you represent exporters, you can bill a lot for DGTR work. Agree with the rest!
- It's because legal salaries in India are dictated by the likes of Cyril, Shardul and Pallavi Shroff, not White & Case and Linklaters

- It's because these people are stuck in the stone age and give "new age" law subjects like trade, tech, energy, environment etc less importance than company law, tax law etc.

- It's because GOI does treats legal work within departments as second-rate: the Legal and Treaties Division in the MEA is a dumping ground for second-rate DU and BHU grads

To the OP: I suggest you migrate out of India ASAP. The US, UK, Australia and Singapore are now tough to settle in, but Canada and NZ are still open. Go there.
Move out of India, thats the only way to get paid to practice trade law. Also been struggling with this myself over the past year.
How does one move out? Are firms outside open to hiring foreign trained lawyers?
In the field of trade law, firms are definitely open to foreign trained lawyers. But you need to have very strong credentials and experience in the field for them to hire you. Even abroad, the field is very niche and competitive. So focus on getting a phd or masters or gaining significant experience in india at a place like ctil or a law firm before applying