Read 11 comments as:
Filter By
I have gotten to do some tax work lately at the firm I have been working in for 3 years (first job) and now thinking of a career in this area. There is only limited tax work in this firm and am looking for a place which has a more substantial tax practice. I am looking at NDA as it is known for its tax practice. I am considering applying for an opportunity in their Delhi office because that is where I have been in the last 3 years. Can someone please answer the following questions:
1. Does NDA Delhi office have a good tax team or should I look at relocating to Mumbai? I am told that NDA Delhi office has a very small tax team and it comprises of mostly CAs whereas the Mumbai team is all lawyers. Does it mean that the type of work done is different in these two locations?
2. I am not from a top tier NLU and I have not done lot of tax work. Will that affect my chances?
3. Does NDA also do litigation work? Which office has a litigation team?

I will be grateful for any other information or guidance to help me decide.
Delhi NDA tax team is headed by Parul Jain. May be search for that name in these threads and you'll know the situation they are in.
Let us make OP's life easier. While one could go through the threads, one stop shop for this is an excellent blog https://nishithdesaiassociates.wordpress.com which is best read bottom to top. Once you read this you will understand what @Highly doubtful is hinting at. My advice - consider NDA Delhi tax team only if the salary is far better than what you will get in some other firm. That is unlikely to be true in your case as you have admitted that you don't have much of a background in tax [though not being from top tier NLU would matter at NDA as not many there from top tier NLUs... but having a foreign degree helps at NDA in terms of chances]. Otherwise if you really want to go to NDA because of its tax practice then go to Mumbai as there you will find more people to learn the trade from. You are right that Delhi Tax team is comprised of CAs. It was always a small team and the few pure lawyers have quit this year. Now only ones left are Parul (who does have a law degree but has been a CA most of her career) and another associate (who is just a CA) who followed Parul from Deloitte.

Remember that most of the work they do is in international tax, so you should be interested in cross border tax issues and it will not be domestic GST kinda work. They do a bit of litigation too but it is predominantly advisory work.
NDA Delhi team is headed by parul Jain. She's quite good with her work and knows her stuff. You should consider it and let them decide about your relocation.
Ek kuch kehta hai aur doosar kuch aur. At the end we are all lawyers on this forum.
I am Seema Sapra. Someone has posted the above comment using my name and has impersonated me. The link is to my Blog.
I have reported this to Legally India and the authorities including the Police. I will be taking further legal action against the person who has impersonated me.