Read 15 comments as:
Filter By
2020 T1 grad here. I had joined a senior counsel elsewhere. However, due to some exigency, had to move to my hometown(Kochi). I need names of seniors who would be willing to pay me well(anything over 20-25K would be fine). I am also open to joining litigation firms with good short-term growth prospects. Any help with the specifics of pay with names would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Hey, do share any more details on him. Work timing/load, pay, environment etc.
Ninan and Mathew Advocates and Joseph and Kuriyan. These are two litigation firms based in kochi that I know of. Not sure of their pay but both are reputable.
Litigation pay (for freshers) sucks across South - Pay is even lower in Kerala because of the lack of good quality work (Commercial Litigation/Arbitration)

Corporate Law Firms don't exist (with a few exceptions of representative offices) as most work is outsourced to Bangalore or Mumbai based firms and lack of industries or Businesses in the state. Most chambers do a mix of civil & some criminal Litigation. Even Arbitration matters of big Kerala companies happen in Mumbai/Chennai - not in Kochi.

The best paymasters for freshers are -

Menon & Pai - 25K
Veritas Legal - 25 K
Senior Advocate Kaleeshwaram Raj - 20K
Other Designated Seniors - 15 to 25K.

There are Designated Seniors who don't pay more than 5K per month, but you can always jump ship after getting an year of experience.

There is tough competition for these jobs - as 3000 students graduate from Kerala's Law College's an year - and several others from College's LIKE NLU's, Symbi & Christ who have good language & research skills also try to land in the same jobs.
Sadly, the word "good pay as a fresher" and "tier 2 city" don't go hand in hand.
Unfortunately, I doubt any senior advocate in Kochi will pay a fresher/ near fresher 25,000.

Of course, I could be wrong. But your options are very limited.

Good luck!
Few years back I heard someone left that place owing to prevalent nepotism. Now, things MAY have changed. My advice is to consider your decision carefully. Discuss with someone with ears on the ground. Otherwise, you may regret it. Moreover, the pay is not great. Still, expenses are way less in Kochi. With metro, things are always better. Comparatively lower rent is cherry on the cake. But growth potential for income is non-existent beyond a point. I don't think anyone pays more than 50k to even associates with over 5years experience. Only hope is that you'll start up on your own. Again, think carefully!
Would suggest starting off with any decent office. Don't know about starting pay , but several years down the line it's really worth it. I know lawyers in Kerala not particularly from Kochi but even places like Kottayam who make a bomb even with district court practice.