Read 12 comments as:
Filter By
We all know about litigation salaries in Delhi (atleast you can survive) but lawyers at tier 2 don't even pay at the beginning (tumko kuch aata nahi hai, kitaabo wala law nahi hota, yada yada). However, few years down the line you can earn decent amount (not equivalent to tier 1 but equal to Delhi Chambers) and so on as you build your practice.

So, where should I start, parent court or Delhi?
Parent HC with eyes closed. I know so many starry eyed people who come to Delhi with dreams and have to pack up very soon and leave. If you have contacts that can help in Delhi, come to Delhi, else stay in HC, develop a practice and transition to SC gradually.

Breathe fresh air, be a rockstar at your HC. Competition kills in Delhi. Undercutting is rampant.
I am first-year law student in Delhi, not NLUD, although it's decently reputed. Even I should aim for Parent HC? Can't I make, ateast, necessary contacts in Delhi itself within 5 years?
Hey there..!
I am a 4th year law student (tier 2 city)...and while a bit disheartened i understand your advice stems from experience...but as mentioned that some pack up very soon and leave.... however can u tell what happened to those who stayed and didn't quit Delhi...are they doing good (like those didn't had any contacts)?
Yours Truly
An Aspiring Delhi-Based Litigator
Same Question, Lucknow bench Allahabad High court (Home) or Delhi High Court??
Allahabad, any day - especially if you are from a tier one law school. The Allahabad bar is rife with mediocrity (and quality work that deserves better lawyers being read in).

I had the time of my life finding a competent local counsel there. Played it “safe” (or so I thought), by initially (a) approaching kids (practising lawyers) of Senior Advocates/ sitting/ retired HC/SC judges and (b) lawyers from two of Allahabads supposedly most prestigious chambers. My view - the ones I encountered were a set of elite, over entitled, no gooders.Not one of them cared to read the file after sitting on it for over a week!

But I didn’t loose hope. I kept window shopping, and through that effort, was introduced to an enterprising lawyer couple - they acted with diligence and promptitude, and got my interim relief!!

Long story short - There will be no dearth of work for you in UP, if you have good attitude. Asking much!!?
can you pl name the lawyer who provided good services? i need a local lawyer in Allahabad HC
Itna to salary nhi milega jitna rent aur baki kharchon me paise lagange. Develop a good practice in your parent HC and then approach SC. Competition in Delhi kills the dream of litigants coming from outside.
Too much competition and serious gestation period at Delhi HC. Go for Parent HC if litigation is a long term career path.