Read 10 comments as:
Filter By
I'm from a science background and being unable to crack NEET two consecutive times I have no hope for studying in a government medical college. The last hope is a private medical college with hefty fees that my family can't pay without bearing the burden of a loan. From what I've seen, top law schools in India provide greater stability and pay and as per the future returns, what would be a better option: Doing law at a good nlu or mbbs from a private college?
Umm CLAT is difficult too bro if you wanna join the top 3 colleges. Medical versus law comparison is doable if you are comparing it to doing law from a top college. Because other wise any tom, dick and harry can get a law degree from a local university or private college for peanuts. (As opposed to a medical degree which is very costly and a scarce resource). Yes a top law degree is comparable (in fact better) to medical degree in terms of sheer salary outcomes. Anyways if you think CLAT is a piece of cake in front of medical exam, then no that is not the truth. As for comparison between Medical and Law, the sheer salary of Top Tier Law Firm lawyer is way greater than a fresh MBBS grad will earn. I was in a dilemma in class 12th but ended up choosing law and am happy with my choice. None of my MBBS friends at the moment out earn me. Some of them even ended up spending a lot of money on private MBBS. All for nothing. They are unable to now clear PG exams. If you are a government doctor then even the Chief Medical Officer or Director/Head of top government Hospitals will not earn as much as a Partner or even a General Counsel of a top tier firm/company would do. Plus while doing Masters is not even required and has zero value for me as a lawyer, it is very critical for a Doctor. So you end up earning less plus spend rest of the youth preparing for PG entrance. PG entrance is even more difficult and seats are less. Private PG will again be very costly. A simple MBBS doctor in my opinion would not be a very great career choice, although if you get a govt. job you will be okay but not have a LAVISH lifestyle. So far I have been talking about service.

Private practice is another ball game all together. Doctors who can become successful in a private practice can obviously earn a lot. But then I would make that comparison to not a salaried Associate/Partner of law firm but with high ranking Senior Advocates. Both senior advocates and seasoned medical practitioners earn a lot. Both take time to establish. Ofcourse there are some variables here and there that you would need to account for.
Ffs don't compare a Senior Advocate with a Doctor. They don't have rampant nepotism.

There is nothing like first-gen doctor. You study well, practice well, and there is a high probability that you will end up good - can't say that for advocates.
I think this answer was great tysm. I am myself in 12th currently preparing for neet but with the boards coming up and no 11th revised as well I am quite unsure if I would be able to get a govt. medical college this time(I am fine with govt. bds/mbbs) anything. but the thing is I am not even sure if I want to become a doctor like I am good in bio so I will like just do mbbs thats what I thought but after like gaining proper knowledge and stuff I got to know that becoming doctor is not a piece of cake it requires approx 10-12 years to become one, and like mentioned above giving up all your YOUTH for pg not socializing its going to be very depressing/unhappy for me,I am a very free spirited person and dont even know if I can study this vigorously and all for nothing I guess becoming a doctor is not something so important for me as I want to ultimately appear for UPSC. So my parents were telling me to get a professional degree in hand for backup I mean that is necessary as well but taking the worst case scenario lets suppose I do mbbs and try UPSC by chance do not get selected after many tries I am depressed/sad/feeling like a failure etc. and then come back then what there is no value of a MBBS undergrad and then again I have to prepare for NEET PG cuz private college is not even an option(whether it be MBBS/BDS for both no private college and will have to give NEET PG as well). so I was thinking of either doing law or doing like a sociology or anthropology course from DU or any other college after giving CUET this year. Something that does not require higher studies after completion like maybe as an option but not a necessity like in the case of a doctor. ANY SUGGESTIONS ANYONE?
Both are taxing professions.
Lawyers is wanna be noble, while most docs actually are.

Unless you have a background or interest in law, don't chose it.

In a vacuum, I guess most people will prioritise MBBS.

However, for your specific case, being unable to get a good college without shelling out 1CR, I don't think there is any question of what to chose.

Go for whatever stream (Inc law) that gets you stability without a high cost.
I was in the same boat like 20 years ago. I regret not becoming a Doctor. Try NEET again or if you can (by your own means or borrowing from relatives) afford the fees, join a private University MBBS course. You can also go to other countries like Nepal, Russia, Greneda, the UK et al for your MBBS.

The problem with legal field is that - there are too many lawyers (and most of them if not all are very smart) and too less work.
MBBS would always be a better professional degree (but for me!). As for you, it depends on what you want and value. Can you tell me what you want out of a professional degree?
MBBS, if you can afford.

Don't jump into this. Seriously, this would be the worst decision you would make.