Read 19 comments as:
Filter By
saw this on Twitter

"Law school first year is about being intimidated by kids that speak impeccable English and come out of immense privilege. The final two years are about small-town kids killing it left to right and center."

what do you think about it, how true is it?
The first sentence is absolutely true. Second sentence, just sort of true.
I have come back to clarify - some of the small-town kids who went to the top-boarding schools also have impeccable english and do not have that much problems gelling with everyone.

It's a class issue more than a geographical issue.
Tu bhi to kahin na kahin ye chahta hoga/hogi ki tere bacche acchi english bole and unhe har comfort/luxury available ho. I don't think it's their fault that they went to fancy schools. Kya karein fir vo? Jaan booch ke bekar english bole taaki darr khatam hojae? Compare karna chod de bhai/behen apni life me mast raho yaar sabki zindagi mein dikkat hai
It is not small town versus big town, it is who wants it more.

For instance, if a person already is comfortable in terms of money, then it could be possible (there may be exceptions) that he or she would not want to run for money and look at a work life balance.

Someone who does not have that sort of financial support will push himself / herself more.

Both are correct from their perspective. Follow your path (even if you believe it to be slow), don't look at others.
And then they both pass out and work for T1 law firm. 20 years later they realize how they wasted their life.
I am a small town kid. My law school was trauma for 5 years. It gave me a culture-shock in India itself. Still suffering from that trauma and inexorably damaged. My outlook on life is an intimate manifestation of the thoughts formulated in those 5 years. Every day I lived suffering the have-not status. Used to dread the collectors who went about charging everyone for the annual farewell party, since a day's pass used to be my monthly pocket money. I was not emotionally mature then to have looked beyond those things. Even though I might console myself by saying - thank you for the experience, the absurdity is in the realization that the law school was just a small island that was not reflective of real India, from which I feel uprooted without even finding a foothold in that small island. In other words, never gelled with folks at law school, and because of the altered-me, forever banished from the ability to gel with my own folks. Basically, dhobi ka kutta - na ghar ka na ghat ka. Feel cheated that the best years of my youth were spent deeply troubled.
CLAT used to be an General Knowledge test which did not require one to have fancy metro education.

The fact that we have people from all walks of society establishes the same.

There is a new trend amongst the supposedly woke class which would color everything as unfair. Well, life is unfair. Suck it up. Your ancestors were oppressed, everyone sympathises. You have reservation pretty much everywhere. If you have a problem with the supposedly UC peeps, you are looking at it the wrong way. Ask the privileged peeps from supposedly lower class to give up their reservation. Let them compete with their counterparts.

There is discrimination in life everywhere. You gotta accept it and move on. Are you fat? Are you short? Are you tall? Are you big? Are you small? Are you black? Do you have a different accent? Maybe a different style? Are you queer? Are you a tomboy? Are you more effeminate than your peers? Do you oil your hair too much? You wear a skullcap? You wear a turban? You wear branded clothes? You don't wear branded clothes? You don't have TV? You don't go out for vacations? You are poor?

Till college, these things matter more and are more regular and relevant points of discrimination. Caste is no doubt an important factor, but so is each of these. Nobody needs a reason to bully, you create a reason. When you have access to facilities, it is upto you to make the right friends and not get overwhelmed to do better in life.

English is a very important element in our life. Just like any metropolitan would find it difficult in a setup full of village peeps, any village peep would find it difficult to adjust amongst the city/town peeps. Idea is to break out of a shell and not find solace in your caste.

Supposed UC citizens from T2 cities are at the same place as that of their supposed counterparts.

Peace!
The post didn't even mention caste, so the fact that you assumed that it was about that says a lot about you lol

"Nobody needs a reason to bully, you give them a reason"

Bestie I hate to ask this but have people "given you a reason" in the past to carry out caste-based harassment?
Time you spent on writing reply would be more than time that you would have spent if you read it carefully at the first go.

Don't jump the gun, be a nice Guest :-)

1. Read the tweet and thread above for the caste angle.

2. Haven't I written create a reason?

Person being bullied doesn't have to give a reason to be bullied, ever. Person who is bullying creates a reason out of nothing.

Chill out man!!
Quote:
There is a new trend amongst the supposedly woke class which would color everything as unfair.
Woke bad.
"Killing it" in law school speak is winning moots/writing papers etc in an attempt to make it to tier 1 law firms. The only objective of subjecting yourself to life in a tier 1 firm is to make money. Even if you were to work for 5-7 odd years and save up every bit of it, the kids that come out of privilege probably have that amount stacked up in their parents' businesses or the bank accounts set up in their name by their families.

Either way, you lose, "killing it" or not. It's unfair and it sucks, but it is what it is.

There is no way you're going to get anywhere by making these kinds of comparisons. Live your own life on your own terms and make the best of it. Build a life you're happy living. That's the long and short of it.

The only reason I see anyone putting out these blatant statements and comparisons is to project their own insecurities.

Live and let live babe, that's all you should focus on in law school.