Read 29 comments as:
Filter By
I am seeing comments on LI by haters and trolls doubting that Law School has produced 25 Rhodes scholars. See list below from a Facebook group, which can be verified from the Rhodes website, LinkedIn etc. I request R to either pin this thread or ban the haters and trolls spreading fake news against Law School.

1. Lavanya Rajamani, 1996: Now professor at Oxford
2. Sandeep Gopalan, 1997: Now Vice Chancellor of Piedmont International University, USA
3. Menaka Guruswamy, 1998: Now Senior Advocate in Delhi
4. Sudhir Krishnaswamy, 1998: Now VC of NLSIU (FYI the Jindal VC also won Rhodes the same year)
5. Thomas Sebastian, 1999: Now barrister in London
6. Sandeep Sreekumar, 1999: Now assistant professor of philosophy in Baruch College, New York
7. Dev Gangjee, 2000: Now professor at Oxford
8. Nandan Kamath, 2000: Now heading his own sports law practice in India
9. Rahul Rao, 2001: Now Reader in politics and international studies at SOAS
10. Sameer Singh, 2002: Went into consulting and entrepreneurship
11. Shyamkrishna Balganesh, 2003: Professor at UPenn
12. Prithviraj Datta, 2004: Visiting assistant professor, department of government, Franklin & Marshall College
13. Tarunabh Khaitan, 2004: Professor and Vice Dean at Oxford
14. Neha Jain, 2005: Associate Professor, University of Minnesota Law School
15. Ramya Raghuram, 2007: Managing Associate at Simmons & Simmons, London
16. Arghya Sengupta, 2008: Heading Vidhi
17. Sushila Rao, 2009: Associate, Davis Polk, New York
18. Niranjan V, 2010: Barrister at One Essex Court, London
19. Gautam Bhatia, 2011: Lawyer, author and blogger
20. Vrinda Bhandari, 2012: Practising in India
21. Anupama Kumar, 2013: Policy research in India
22. Raag Yadava, 2014: Teaching at NLSIU
23. Mansi Sood, 2015: Practising in India
24. Vanshaj Jain, 2017: Pursuing DPhil
This is an impressive list. Eagerly waiting for further additions to it in the years to come. I wish more of these people would have remained in Indian legal academia though, we can really do with such talent. Only Sudhir and Raag are teaching here at present out of this list. There are others still in India in other fields though.
Well, Sudhir is in academia as he got the VC post. Offer NALSAR and NLUD VCships to Rhodes alumni and two more will come back.
Which hole did you crawl under from? Sudhir did not go to academia on being offered the VC position. He's been here for the last decade and a half and hence was given the VC position. It is not a good practice to simply transplant someone from foreign academia into the very top of an Indian institution unless they have got at least some experience of how things work here.
See I'm in no capacity to comment but still I will, because we'll welcome to internet. I feel that colleges like NLS and NALSAR and NUJS and probably NLUD too don't need to fight on random LI threads to show their superiority over other. The order of top 3 or maybe 4 law schools is very well set with minor changes. Holds more valid for NLS, guys you are clearly the number 1 place to be and easily will hold that for next decade or two and possibly even further, threads like these where you come and justify to some random troll just does more harm than good. You could have said national law school has had 70 Rhodes scholars or on inverse say 7 Rhodes scholars, would that have changed our perception one bit, nope. Same for NUJS, call it corp slave factory but that doesn't take away that it's probably as good a place one can imagine for anything in law.

Let the unnecessary PR be reserved for GNLU and JGLS types who are desperate to enter your league (even NLUJ I respect because they generally don't care of people calling them T2 or below GNLU or something, they keep going without caring about a 20 year olds depressed opinion). If it were upto me, I probably wouldn't even entertainment such threads but maybe R feels it's important to have the college ranking bashing thread for some clarity too, to each their own in the end.
1.1: This is shameful and disgusting trolling in the guise of a sensible comment. "Let the unnecessary PR be reserved for GNLU and JGLS types". What do you mean by insulting GNLU like that? GNLU has done great in recent years: Rhodes success, moots, placements, everything. In terms of funding and infra it is possibly 1 or 2.
Quote:
GNLU has done great in recent years: Rhodes success, moots, placements, everything. In terms of funding and infra it is possibly 1 or 2.
He is talking about the exact same behaviour, all this is okay but being tier 1 is not just based on good placements in last couple of year. There is a legacy you've to build bud!
You'll continue to be hated it you refer to yourself as "Law School".
Noob here. It's amazing to know that one law school has produced so many extraordinary people in such a relatively short period. I have got a query though after having seen the list and what these people are now doing. If I want to pursue litigation in India only, then is there really any advantage in doing a foreign LLM? Will the Rhodes tag open doors in litigation, impressing clients etc. here?
Wow so R is not publishing any comments which goes against this thread. Wow what weird one sided censorship is this?
Sad to see jealous crybabies downvoting OP. First you ask for proof. Once proof given you downvote.
The real competition began the year NLSIU, NALSAR, NLUD and GNLU were all eligible to apply, i.e. 2014 (first batch of NLUD graduates).

Now let's see: 21 Rhodes scholars between 1993 (first batch graduation) and 2013: 21 in 20 years.

BUT

Only 3 Rhodes scholars between 2014 and 2021: 3 in 7 years. ZERO since 2017.

MORAL: Competition from other NLUs pwns NLSIU.
Is there anything more obnoxious than people who refer to nls as β€œlaw school” as if to imply it’s THE law school and everyone else is studying law at the national institute of tatti sciences
Nothing wrong in referring to NLSIU as Law School as it is a commonly accepted nickname that everyone uses. It is also in the name of the college! Do NALSAR, NUJS and NLUD have the term "law school" in their name? Certainly no.
Only people from NLSIU use that silly nickname. Nobody outside does, really. Although, since Sudhir now trains school students for CLAT, it's not a bad choice insofar as monikers go.
They don't have school in their name because they are universities. Ever think of that?
Such celebration at getting a share of plunderer Cecil Rhodes' legacy as their ticket to upper middle class.
Get a life kids! What fun to be funded by a racist, plunderer of Africa?
Quite a bit of fun to realise that the proceeds from his work are actually being used to help people learn more about rights, law, and justice, and propagate those very ideas to a larger audience throughout their lives.