Read 6 comments as:
Filter By
I wanted some serious advice on maintaining a work-life balance. I am a first-year associate at a tier-1 firm. My partners are not that accommodative. I often have a hard time balancing the personal front. There is definitely a lack of mentorship and communication. I am expected to sit 24*7 and be available even if there is no work. I am planning to switch over, but I suspect there is a place where things would be ideal. In addition, I have an anxiety disorder where even minor things become a task for me. So, I have to constantly recheck basic stuff, even then I tend to make mistakes. Has anybody got any advice on this?
wish I could say it gets better but it usually doesn't, especially not for corp law at tier-1 firms. or even up and coming smaller corp law firms. its a trickle down of pressure from unreasonable clients to partners to SA/PA and then ultimately to associates. Think of alternate things you'd like to do career-wise - it helps to at least explore your options. Corp law firms unfortunately aren't getting better with time (not as yet anyway!)
If you don't have any student loans, then write CLAT PG and join a PSU.

If you want to have a laid back life you can also apply for Judicial Services exams of your State, you'll have to take a pay cut tho (75k pm is the salary) and live in tier 3-4 cities sometimes.
My partner is not accommodative, I am expected to work full time.

No sweety, your partner will make sure that you have an 8 day workday. They can't even accommodate thier husband/wives personal needs - do you think they will ever find time for you?
Invest a pot-load of money in mutual funds. Withdraw them when you are 40. In most cases, you’ll be richer than a regular partner post-40 if you re-invest that into bonds. Till you’re 40 work in-house. Also, seriously consider trading options.