Read 34 comments as:
Filter By
A question to all menstruators-
Does your workplace provide period leave or work from home option?
If yes, please mention the organisation name and if no, please share certain tips and tricks that help you manage.
Thanks !
A 9-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
Don’t think any law firm gives that. Imo, the concept of period leave would only discourage firms from hiring women.

Try tampons - ever since I switched to them, periods have become a non-issue in life (except for the cramps).
OP here.

Give me millions and I still wouldn't work for someone like you who literally missed the point of my post.
I never advocated for period leave. Just wanted to be aware about the places that provide the same and/or the other alternatives that help people in a similar situation.
Translation:

"Please stop trying to make your lives and that of countless others better by advocating for better conditions. Just look at those who have worse than you, and continue life, because growth as a concept is alien to me. Also, if we think about growth, that might reduce my corporate boss's perspective of me, and needless to say that's the most important thing in my life because that's the only way I can evaluate my worth - probably something to do with lack of human decency and principles to stand up for."
No point downvoting this guys, I'm not at Vertices but a senior works there and hence can confirm I, they started it few weeks back only so you'll find it on their LinkedIn too.
Interesting how every poster on li "knows" Someone or the other working at vertices or lexygen when these firms do not even have more than 20 lawyers. But do come out with "100% accurate", " Can confirm", "this is true" Kind of replies. No associate of another law firm is sitting idle to comment on other firms veracity. It is the higher level of these firms who comment on li for publicity. Probably both hired the same pr firm.
Already hiring women is hard.

A firm/commercial entreprise has to spend a lot of extra money

1. Sexual Harassment Committee & External Consultants

2. Late Night Taxis and Security Gaurd - mandated by law.

3. Maternity Leave, Child Creche - for women employees -

Where employer has to pay all the costs of replacement + salary during leave + Crèche Costs.

4. Higher chances of Leave/Dropping out of work after 5 years post work. (Kids come to picture)

5. Other Flexibility issues - sometimes legal issues too.

Even women advocates, HR's and Partners are not keen on hiring women - because of multiple other concerns.

There are Women advocates in High Courts who prefer hiring men because they are more convenient - can use them as Drivers and are available 247 without fear for safety.

Some Judge's and Senior Advocates don't hire women because of fear of sexual harassment allegations, safety issues and other microaggressions.

Have seen woman HC judges, HR's and politicians doing that - that's the worst thing.

In my previous employers office there was a lady (Team Lead) in accounts Dept who was chill going to informal post work drink parties with guys. She didn't want her female juniors because she was scared of untoward incidents happening.

It may not look like a big deal - but it is; it again reduces women's postion in the job market - deeming guys as more flexible for workplace.

Have seen girls taking a guy for moot court competition as sit and do nothing researcher - so that they can go to an another city safely; guy just needs to handle tickets, luggage and safety.

Me too movement was good for the society as a whole. But it did a lot of damage to women in the job market.

Small to Big Firms think twice as loss of reputation and legal costs are high

Period Leaves - proposed Parliament Bill is 24 days. Will just be an additional barrier to hiring women. It will be an additional cost just because you hired a women. Women's position in the job market will be weakened.

Indian Job Market has crores of people coming in every year. So even when a firm doesn't hire women it doesn't loose out like it's western peers.

Western Countries have labour shortages. Which means excluding women is difficult for companies.

Period leaves are good. Let individual employers give. Otherwise it just erodes women's position in workplace.
This was not the point of the question, but I guess everyone gets triggered even before they read what is being said. Your post is three times as long as the original one.

Nonetheless, I am tempted to reply and will do so. See, the thing is, if men had periods - period leaves would be the default and not having such leaves would look abhorrent to society - its justifiability would come from the fact that it makes employees happier and perform better etc. No one complains about the increased costs for buying urinals in men's toilets while you could have been done with bulk-buying one set of western style equipment for all toilets.

Similarly, if people on wheelchairs was the norm, no one would complain about the increased cost of ramps - they would complain about the increased cost of stairs, and how damaging it is to a business to accommodate people who can walk (gasp)!

Thing is, once you start to formulate basic human rights in the form of a cost-benefit analysis, one opens a can of worms that can never be closed. There is no way one can win an argument that is a self-fulfilling prophecy - women cannot be hired because sexual harassment committees are costly but men can be hired even if they are sexual predators; one cannot know which men are sexual predators because if they speak up they damage the chances of other women getting hired. Why? Because it is man's world. Instead of asking women to adjust, perhaps make the workplace so good that you acquire top talent instead of skimping out on human rights.
You didn't understand what I am saying - I am not talking about philosophy - I also agree with what you said.

Just about the practical stuff.
I am the one who posted anti - menstrual leave arguments - sorry that I didn't read your question properly.
A 23-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
If you want period leave, then it’s fair that one also gets migraine leave.
With you around, the need for such leaves cannot indeed be disputed.
Even if a firm gives (days) 30-period leaves, 20 sick leave, and 20 casual leave, and a 20 vacation. All of that will be on paper.

Will anyone be able to take at least a single day without getting thousands of emails? LOL

People can't even take leaves for their grandparent's death or kids' first b'day.
Women who read this thread and decide to continue in law (given this Hetropatriarchal Agrahara like advise they are getting) are made of some of the most solid stuff in this universe.
Period leave is just like sick leave. If you do not have terrible cramps, you don't take it. Unless everyone here against the idea of period leave, thinks that women are downright unethical and would abuse this benefit.

I have horrible cramps EVERY SINGLE MONTH. I cannot tell you just how painful it is to just exist, let alone work.
Take a sick leave if you have cramps. Why demand a separate leave for this?
Because falling sick doesn’t happen twelve times a year at regular intervals. Also my firm gives me ten days of sick leave a year. My period cramps are unbearable for the first two days. Math kario.
Dear managing partner,

If you are reading this thread, I have a humble request. Please consider giving your menstruating employees discretionary wfh option once a month in lieu of period leave (this is if you feel that giving leave to your resource is just unbearable that is). If given a choice to deal with the debilitating lower back cramping in tight stuffy formals in the office chair vs at home in ratty sweats and a heating pad, I know what I’d pick.

This would accommodate your menstruating resources whilst also ensuring that you don’t lose those working hours from them. Hope the big firms hear me out!
Raise kids & stop bitching about how cruel the real world is, leave it to us
A 3-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.