Read 36 comments as:
Filter By
I was really surprised to see NLSIU not getting the Rhodes again. Could it be that NLSIU has a record 25 Rhodes scholars, so the committee wants to have a kind of quota system so that others get a chance for the next few years? Nothing wrong with that, but the committee should then make it clear.
Sudhir will conduct Rhodes training classes for school going students soon enough. Just like for CLAT.
NLSIU is not getting the Rhodes scholarship because it is not given to Universities - only individuals.
Yes, NLSIU students are not being awarded the scholarship to give students from other universities a fair chance. This means that until all other NLUs have around 20 students getting Rhodes, no NLSIU student will be awarded the scholarship. Which means for the next 40-50 years, any student who wants to aim for Rhodes should not join NLSIU, but instead go elsewhere. Happy now?
Yes NLSIU indeed has 25 Rhodes scholars, of whom 25 came between 1993 and 2016 and 0 between 2016 and now. R, please ban comments disputing this.
Yes, they put this up on their website:

"Rhodes Committee has decided that due to the stellar quality of exemplary students graduating out of National Law School of India University every year, it is impossible to not award the Rhodes Scholarship to any graduate. Therefore, in the the interest of justice and in order to maintain fair level playing field, students from National Law School of India University will not be considered for the grant of Rhodes Scholarship anymore. However, as a mark of respect, every graduate will now be awarded a Rhodes+ status at the time of their entry into the 5 year course. Rhodes+ status will enable to travel around the world and study, live and teach at any place that they prefer. All expenses shall be taken care of.

In the last couple of years since the start of this program, we have students travelling everywhere on Private Jets and teaching PhD students. Rhodes+ scholars are known to be taking classes from Rashtrapati Bhavan, Buckingham Palace and White House.

In other news, Queen of England and President of USA have moved out of their respective homes / offices to make space for the new cohort of Rhodes+ scholars. 18 students from the last cohort are in their way to ISS in a Tesla which was specially designed for them by Mr. Elon Musk who has enrolled to all lectures being offered by First Year students of National Law School of India University on Unacademy.

We wish everyone the best. "

Will keep you posted in case there is any update.
Law School has an unassailable lead in Rhodes scholars and it has become a bit of a cliche, so now you will see that the aspirations of students has changed to things like becoming Senior Advocates and High Court judges. This is the "new Rhodes".
Lol, because your senior had got the scholarship, your aspirations automatically get satiated? Then you might as well leave law, since your seniors have seen success in every field of law anyway.
The mental gymnastics it takes to come up with shit like this... No, sir, your fellow NLS-ites (-ians?, -kind?) do care a lot about the Rhodes, as this thread clearly shows. Seriously, go study.
NLSIU is gonna make a comeback in Rhodes bigtime once the 3 year LLB starts. You will have IITians, Stephanians etc enrolling and will stand at a big advantage.
Yes, with 60-70% reservations in the course already, that's gonna happen for sure.
The link can't be opened by Google maps it seems. Why not just provide the list instead if there is one?
Since there have been 32 batches (as said by you), and 25 Rhodes Scholars from NLSIU (as substantiated by the source), NLSIU has, in fact, barring 7 batches, on an average produced a Rhodes scholar every batch.

Source: A board hung up in NLSIU itself. Link: //goo.gl/maps/GQLsK1DH9zUvz3Vi8
There haven't been a single one in the last 5 years. There haven't been any in at least 4 other years that I know. The numbers aren't adding up. Is there a list? This google map link is leading nowhere it seems.
... but the link worked for me. It is a photo of a board hung up (apparently in NLS) noting names and years of Rhodes recipients. I'll copy down the names here:

1996 - Lavanya Rajamani
1997 - Sandeep O
1998 - Meneka Guruswamy & Sudhir Krishnaswamy
1999 - Sandeep Sreekumar & Thomas Sebastien
2000 - Nandan Kamath, Anand ____ & D.S Gangjee
2001 - Rahul Rao
2002 - Sameet Singh
2003 - S. Balganesh
2004 - Tarunabh Khaitan & P. Datta
2005 - Neha Jain
2006 -
2007 - Ramya Raghuram
2008 - Arghya Sengupta
2009 - Sushila Rao
2010 - V Niranjan
2011 - Gautam Bhatia
2012 - Vrinda Bhandari
2013 - Anupama Kumar
2014 - Raag Yadava
2015 - Manasi Sood
2016 -
2017 - Vamshaj Jain
2018 - present -

PS: The photo is extremely blurry and I could be getting some of the names wrong. Feel free to correct if you know some of these folks.
Anand Damodaran. Though I don't think he won a Rhodes or even went to Oxford. The law school board seems to have it wrong.
I am 1.2.1
My apologies for the link. Here is the imgur link for it: https://imgur.com/a/1Xd2YWx

This board is hung in NLSIU itself. If you count, they are 25 Rhodes Scholars.
So that's why the numbers didn't add up. Some of the years had multiple scholars at the same time or probably eventually.
Names? And if so, what can be the reason why it has dried up in the last few years? Hopefully it will change for the better.