Read 8 comments as:
Filter By
So I am a final year student from a Tier-2 NLU with average grades(no repeats), few publications and one failed moot. I wish to work in a T1 but obviously for the above mentioned reasons, I didn't end up getting placed or a PPO. I am seeing a lot of my batchmates getting placed with T1s and this has made me quite anxious in the last few months. Luckily, my family is well-off and could make a call to a few of these places to make them hire me. I have so far been completely against this idea as my conscience wont allow me but desperation has slowly started to kick in and I've started to reconsider it. A lot of my alumni seniors who are now A1s and A3s are calling me absolutely crazy for giving up on this golden opportunity. What do the people of LI think? Would I be treated differently in a T1 after I get in?
Yes, no doubt you will be treated different, just like referred interns are treated, with extra care. However if you prove your mettle then it can be easily forgotten. But my point is if your family is so well off, then why do you want to work at a T1 firm? Do something worthwhile in the only life you have?
I agree with this, start practicing, join an advocates chamber, learn the nuances of litigation and find good cases that are not taken up by advocates who want to make quick money, like social matters or any other unfortunate human's cause. It will earn you name and recognition but no money. After a certain time even you will be satisfied with life and other people will start taking notice of your work and you will get better high paying cases. Life is chill to be honest when you don't have that many factors to consider in specially the need to make money if your family is in dire need of it. I have come across kids who had to take student loans which they have to repay, it becomes necessary for them to pursue a high paying job which is rarely satisfying. If you have the guts,the commitment and dedication, go for litigation. It is quite satisfying.
Nobody cares tbh if you are confident from day 1 you'll be able to perform on par with a regular hire. No moots or publications or grades directly translate to real work you do. IMO be confident and sincere with the work you show and nobody will a flying chappal on how you ended up there. All the best.
The whole idea of super successful and deserving candidates getting selected by law firms is misleading. You don’t need top grades or amazing publications to do the monotonous work in law firms. As long as you have a basic understanding of law and some common sense, you can do the work. In fact I doubt your super talented peers would join law firms if they didn’t have financial commitments. Securing a tier 1 law firm job is hyped up in college, but all that sheen wears off once you start working.

If you have good financial backing, take a year off and explore, or learn the family business. Don’t waste your youth in such mundane things when you have the option to live a better life. If you still feel like you want to prove yourself and you’re in love with the legal work (a rarity but possible), maybe try opting for a year long internship. This will help increases your chances of getting hired.
Ram had Bhramastra given by Bhramha. He did shy from using it saying I havent made it myself.
I dont have any referrals would i Ever make it to tier 1.
and from the lower NLU too