Read 36 comments as:
Filter By
Ok, so colleges are reopening and so are offline internships. I have gotten a slot in February in Delhi at a tier 2 firm. Need advice from seniors on what all to pack in wardrobe?
How many shirts are too many shirts? Can I be minimalistic with say 3-4 formal shirts and 2 pants along with a pair of decent shoes in my bag or do law firms need something more formal? Tie etc etc

R plz let this go through, need help seriously.
I think that struggle is real. I was told in one of my reviews, that the easiest is always to stick to enough white shirts, black pants, and black shoes. My yellow shirt with brown pants wasn't making the cut and this makes it easier. Have 2 ties, and if joining Delhi in winter, have 2 decent suits. Doesn't need to be expensive, but make sure jacket and pants match, it's not torn, and it's not obvious, that it was your grandfather's when he was fatter or thinner than you.

- R
R, any plans on uploading my question?, have ignored it twice already.

Please, don't prove those people right who used to doubt and comment shit to you when you were new, whereas I always downvoted those comments.
Thanks R, few more clarifications, if you would plz.
1) Come from a fairly middle class home so can't afford very expensive clothes my peers maybe can, does that impact how employees at these firms see you? Ofc will take into factor the points you gave.
2) Are ties a standard norm for interns, won't say 3-4 good white shirts and 3-4 black pants do it without ties?
3) Again will formal sweaters work instead of suits, feel uncomfortable with suits tbh (pandemic hasn't helped too)

PS- guys I know I should probably talk to seniors and others but I know very few seniors hence forced to ask, R appreciate your help buddy.
No. For an intern, as long as you don't look shabby, nothing else matters. Ties are compulsory for certain firms, or at least used to be, but i don't think that's the norm anymore. As an intern, since you won't be client facing, even suit is unnecessary, but in Delhi winters, it is useful. Don't try to compete with peers who can get expensive suits done. Nobody cares.as long as you maintain a semblance of formal clothing - a clean shirt trousers and shoes, nobody will care in such a pressure work environment. Work is far more important.

- R
In addition to what R already said, please invest in at least 3 pairs of good woolen socks, black/white. They can be lifesavers in Delhi winters. You can get them cheap from Sarojini market itself if not from your home town.
R are chino trousers considered as formals in law firms and chambers?
Avoid chinos... Unless you seejunior associates wearing those regularly
the white shirts should e thick enough to not be transparent - best to wear a vest

small check prints are ok too

invest in 2 expensive and 2 cheap shirts

dont wear a suit unless really needed (never needed) unless u have a good suit else u may look like a ticket conductor and they have authority so are cool but you are an intern.

if in delhi wear a jacket over the shirt and take off the jacket in office.

it is better than a bad suit especially as delhi men in office really notice.
Not sure I fully agree with the comments here about the relative unimportance of your attire while interning in office. While no (reasonable) person would expect you to wear a Zegna or Armani suit during your internship, you should consider investing in tailored office-wear. You can't go wrong with the white formal shirt, and black pants combination, but do try and ensure that they are properly pressed and that you look well put together. Consider using a belt as well, and avoid designs that are overly tacky.

It would be best if you owned at least 4-5 pairs, failing which, make sure you have your clothes regularly laundered (note however, that this might be difficult if you're in a city such as Bombay where good laundromats are expensive particularly for dry cleaning which is required for woolen clothing such as trousers forming part of suits, and even for ordinary wash and press). Very importantly, ensure that body odour is not a problem and to this end, do not repeat your outfit without having it cleaned, and please do invest in a good cologne (and on this note, avoid tacky brands like Axe etc., which often leave behind terrible and cheap smells that might simply make people less inclined to deal with you; sorry to say, but these things are sub-consciously noticed and might have an impact on how you are perceived). Cannot emphasize this enough - not sure how you plan to commute, but in the event that you plan to use public transport (such as the Bombay local) or the Delhi metro along with other local means of transport (rickshaws/autos etc.) this point assumes some more importance because you might sweat profusely while you're commuting. It might even be worth carrying a spare outfit with you for worst case scenarios; many associates and partners keep a spare set of clothes at work to ensure that they are not left optionless when shit hits the fan (or your trousers without prior notice, which may not exactly be unheard of either).

Your choice of bag isn't really important at this stage, but it might be worth investing in a basic office bag eventually.

I sympathize with you regarding your point that these expenses might be a bit much, but consider this to be an essential bit of capital expense towards your career which will eventually pay off. You don't need to be the most well dressed to get the job, but you will most likely not get the job if you're a complete slob.
I've been buying my formal clothes from Big Bazaar and Westside.

How do I get clothes tailor made? How to locate good tailor in Mumbai? What's the cost involved?
Go see Sahkeel on PD Mello Road (Shakeel) he will sort you out. He's been my tailor for well over a decade now and is reasonable. Raymond Made to Measure is also reasonable.
I also come from middle class family and I could relate to whatever you have said. Always remember, the only brand which you should be concerned about is yiu and not your clothes. It's more important vto look presentable and well groomed than wearing expensive brands. On seeing an intern who knows how to carry himself, I get the impression that this particular person will give full attention to my task. On the other hand, if I see an intern flaunting his brands, I know that this intern's draft will be full of fluff (which happens 70% of the time).

Now, to your queries:

Carry 2 reversible plain sweaters of dark colour (there shouldn't be any design or logo on it) - cost around 800 to 1000

Shirts - white cotton shirts will do. Given that you will be in a different city and laundry may not be readily available (or you may not have tge time for it), pl carry 6-7 formal shirts. Khadi offers white shirts for 500 and are of good quality. You can also get your shirts stitched from the local tailor- just ensure that the textile is not synthetic. I did that mistake just to save on the money (bought cloth of rs. 80/m), and my skin was feeling irritated throughout the internship.

Trousers - 4 dark trousers will be enough. You can easily wear a trouser for 4 days. Just ensure that the fabric is a bit thick and sturdy and does not attract dust. Take your parents / someone elderly's help on this. Again get those stitched from the local tailor - will be cheaper and will look better.

Shoes - one black pair is sufficient. Carry polish and brush with you. Polish your shoes daily. It will take your confidence to a new level.

Socks - as someone said ,- invest in woolen socks. Do not buy MJ color socks (white or any light colour).

2 black blazers will be sufficient - again you can get those stitched for 2000 each (which should include cost of fabric). Find out the cloth wholesale market of your city - every old city has one.

Ties - a plain black / navy blue tie comes for 200 - 250 at big bazar. Buy 2 of them.

Wrist watch - a formal looking goid quality wrist watch would not cost more than 700.

Very important - hair cut - take one immediately before you leave for your internship and another after 2 weeks. Look sharp.

Shaving kit - shave daily. Also take a good skin cream (I don't mean those expensive fancy ones from body shop, biotique wellness, but nivea, lakme) - your face appears well kept. Vaseline tub for your lips.

Nail cutter - carry with you - cut your nails every week.

Thermal wear - if you are prone to catching cold, carry a couple of thermals (both for the upper body and the lower body).

Undergarments - if your schedule will be very tight and you will not get time to wash those daily, please carry 5-6 pairs. Fresh undergarments give confidence.

Iron box - even if your clothes are not branded, you could make a stellar impression if they are well ironed.

Colour combination - Always go for the black family (black, grey, white, navy blue) and not for brown family (brown, maroon, khaki, red, yellow). Leave the brown family for your later years when your hair have turned grey

I follow all the above - I used to attend meetings every week before the lockdown. I regularly meet promoters of companies and engaged in substantial BD. I negitiate on behalf of my firm for fees going upto 80 lakhs to a crore. At any time, the the worth of clothing which is on me (including my watch and blazer) is not more than 7000. When I was a student + the initial years of practice, it was not more than 2500-2700.
iron shirt, polish shoes and shave... iron shirt, polish shoes and shave.. have always insisted on this for my team. Most in the profession started with limited budget and can totally relate to limitation on purchasing new clothes. But don't be shabby and carry a smile.
Beard isn't allowed? I love my well cut and sharp beard. Is it problematic?
There is nothing like allowed / not allowed. If you could manage your beard, well and good. Otherwise most of the associates with beard look like jokers.
Also, remember, with great beard comes great responsibility. If your beard is good but if your research/drafting is average, you will lose all credibility. On the other hand, an average research/drafting from an intern without a beard would not be looked down at.
"again you can get those stitched for 2000 each (which should include the cost of fabric)."

I don't know how long back was this. But it's not possible to get a blazer under 2k unless you want to look like a TT (no offense) - I am saying this, because someone said it looks shabby, moreover, people judge you.
have juggled between two sweaters (one grey and one black-- no suit) and just one black trousers with two white shirts throughout my three T1 corp internships in law school. i've seen some SAs even wear yellow and green sweaters when they didnt have any client meetings. Even i wore my green turtleneck once in a while and nobody cared. Make sure your clothes are clean and ironed, and das all.
If you're looking to invest in your wardrobe choose natural fibres/blends over pure synthetic.
It just falls better and looks more expensive.
While most of the comments here are for men. Any wardrobe suggestions for females? What works as an intern or even an A0? Heels? Tops/ Shirts/ trousers?
Just noticed that this has not been addressed from last 3 weeks. While I am a male and not experienced to advice on female clothing, I have often seen female interns wearing clothes in which they are not confortable. For e.g. high heels - by evening their walk becomes limping. or tight trousers or skirts which they keep on adjusting. On the other hand, I have also seen female colleagues wearing light kurta and a not so tight salwar. those appear smart. Remember - you have to sit for long hours - wear something which is sober and doesn't make you uncomfortable. Also, tie your hair properly - they shouldn't be coming on your face. otherwise you look shabby.
at my workplace I've often seen female interns Wearing a sharp blue or black blazer with a white shirt and tie
2-4 white shirts depending on how frequently you can wash them. Dark grey, navy or black trouser. No other colours.

Dark socks.

Black polished shoes.

Fresh undies for confidence.

Dont need anything else.

Warm clothes thand anusar. Dont wear colours.

Get a black jacket if you are working with the lit teams.. easier to ask them to take you court.

Thats about it.