Read 6 comments as:
Filter By
LI is filled with negative comments about law firm jobs. So I wanted to know from my seniors as to what should young students do or aspire to do and if law firms are actually THAT bad?
I worked at a T-1 law firm for about 3 years. Though the majority of seniors were affable, certain colleagues coupled with partner pressure and the overall bill-bill-bill vibe was suffocating. I personally feel junior-level salaries aren’t that great, keeping in mind living costs and the working hours (ergo, isn’t sounding entitled). It’s the culture which is annoying; folks bragging about powering through Diwali and other festivals. Life is finite, and overworking and ruining health doesn’t seem feasible. However, many other colleagues seemed happy - I honestly couldn’t understand the dichotomy. And I am a cheerful person. Maybe they were okay hearing taunts and passive-aggressive language, or were related to the managing partners? I would say try for yourself and keep a cut-off date while making the decision. Or move abroad if that works, or move in-house if you want a slice of India’s thriving economy (not intended to be sarcastic). If you value a semblance of a normal life (reaching home by 7 pm etc.) - please do not join a law firm.
I will honest. It is bad. If I could go back in time I would not have done law.
Hi,

I’ve joined my firm few months back, so can’t tell you how it is down the line, but can give you my personal experience.

I have had my highs and my lows. Some days I’ve woken up feeling this is the best job in the world, other days I’ve absolutely hated it and wanted to quit law for good. The thing is - whenever I’m doing something new, it gets really overwhelming, but after a few tries, once I get the hang of it, I actually understand the work and enjoy it.

It won’t be possible to give you a 360 degree view of law firm work in one post, but your work in a law firm will entail various things - there’s work pressure, maintaining team dynamics, dealing with tight deadlines and working long hours (on some days) and interacting with impatient clients. You’ll have to juggle a lot of things and become extremely efficient. It can get suffocating a lot of times, but hey - as they say - what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger, right?

I would say don’t depend on posts on LI to form an impression. Once try it out yourself and see if you like it or not.

You have one life. If you don’t even try, how will you ever know?

# FR