Read 45 comments as:
Filter By
Does anyone have any idea regarding Tier 1 and 2 firms in Kolkata that are actively hiring? I am an A0 and am interested in shifting laterally after a year is over.

Please advice. Thanks!
Argus corporate team is hiring right now. Aquilaw, a KCO breakaway, may also have an opening. KCO hires on a rolling basis if they get good people including those with contacts, but not freshers in general. ITC hires once a year usually, though you had only asked for law firms. S. Majumdar, a decent IP firm, is hiring at present. LKS wasn't hiring till July, but you can check now. HSA also used to have an office, not very sure whether they are hiring at present. Fox was looking for good people for Corp last I checked in May. T3 places like Singhania, Jalan, Ginodia can take good lit prospects, but they won't pay much.
Wow, if only more readers on this forum would have been this helpful instead of passing snarky comments, judgement and trolling.
Victor Moses, Sandersons Morgans, Bose Mitra aka the old Cal Solicitor firms ?
IPAC (Prashant Kishore). No joke. I know an ex-CAM associate who worked for them at the same salary and the work was just posting Facebook and Twitter messages. Kishore has hundreds of crores at his disposal. I can share the LinkedIn profile of the person if LI allows.
IPAC pays about 50-60k, not tier 1 salaries. Speaking from personal experience as I received an offer letter. Also, no IPAC role involves just posting on social media. It's political consultancy, not corporate PR.
A batchmate got an offer for 9.5 lakh starting salary though. That much I can vouch for. But yes, not tier 1 starting salary for sure.
Is AQUILAW a break away firm from KCo because all their talents keep breaking away back to KCo?
Aquilaw is run by Sanjay Basu, who is Abhishek Banerjee's lawyer and childhood friend. He is also the de facto general counsel of the TMC, courtesy Abhishek Banerjee. He was completely unknown in the legal world before the TMC came to power. But now he has bagged many top clients from Khaitan and other Big 7 firms. You will not from his social media accounts that he openly roots for the TMC, which makes him very different from a Cyril or Zia or a Haigreve, who never openly speak in favour of a political party.

Just stating the facts here.
Jokes apart, stop assuming. Firm has great partners as well, people who are subject-area expert and were with top firms prior to this. Also, no, Sanjay Basu was a well decorated lawyer in KCo even before TMC came into the picture.

Also, no, the firm is led by his wife, Sucharita Basu, who was A.P. in KCo. back in 2015. She has great clients and is an excellent lawyer as well. So before stating facts, know the full picture.
Can anyone give an idea about the in hand salaries of Tier 2,3 firms in Kolkata at present? Also the growth prospects ?
Any update to this list? A Calcutta University grad, so any updates on this thread would really help
Any firm in Kolkata which pays north of 10LPA other than Khaitan, SAM, and argus?
I know someone who just got into Aquilaw as a fresher. Pay = KCO kol fresher
If it's someone from CU then it must have been someone with deep TMC connections which is why they got such a high package!
This is correct. Aquilaw does not pay more than 7-8LPA to freshers even if you are from the top 3. If someone's getting packages 15LPA+ at the freshers level then it's with connections. ▮▮▮
Can confirm Argus is paying north of 15. The same has also been highlighted in links regulated by LI
Hey, I really want to know about the in-house prospects in Kolkata, such as Cognizant, Accenture, Emami, Tata, etc. I have no contacts and reaching out on LinkedIn is not working. What sort of pay scale do they maintain and how do I secure a position? I am in my final year (student at one of the better private law schools) and am optimistically looking to get placed before my 10th semester. I have had decent internships in Fox, ELP, Aquilaw, LKS, etc., and an above-average GPA. Please let me know what I can do.

Also, is the Fox Corp team hiring? It would be great if that could be an option. Thanks!
Not sure which is the better private law school that you are attending in Kolkata. I do hope its better because lawfirms do look at the name of your college. Its just how it is. Since you come from a private law college and assuming it has some sort of a placement cell, this would be a good time to network with people who have secured a job with the law firms or went in-house.

1. Cognizant- Nothing there is that you can do about it. The pay is 40k/month and the role is a contracts associate (CLM). They have walk-in interview drives around August. This year it happened on the 1st of August.

2. Tata hires laterally, as much as I am aware of. Even if they do hire freshers, I guess they would vie for the graduates at NUJS. Same for Emami.

3. Accenture does hire Mumbai and Delhi. The Kolkata hiring is slower in that regard. Hopefully your year might have one.

4. Fox Corp will be looking for doling out PPOs around April 2024 (general estimate). Try securing a long term internship during that period. Preferably around February and for three months. Should greatly help your chances.

5. The pay scale in general ranges between 10k-40k. Here is how you have that figure in general. Barring KCO SAM and Argus, you have in-house paying you 40k-issh while firms like Sinha and Co. pay you 10k as a fresher. By Kolkata estimates, 25-30 would be a decent start (this figure varies wildly based on your chosen area of practice).

From what I read a while back, Hammurabi and Solomon was keen on opening offices in Kolkata. Hopefully that works out for you mate!

Also, please look out for firms that are offering remote positions.
Citadel was hiring a few weeks back. Fox and Mandal (the old one) has some vacancies around this time of the year. I would suggest wait out till the end of FY and then jump ships.
Citadel, the firm started by the ex partner of HSA and Co founder of Argus Partners is hiring.
Just check the LinkedIn page of Aquilaw, a breakout of KCO Kolkata is hiring for Corporate and M&A under Suhana Islam’s team.