Read 35 comments as:
Filter By
This is not a garbed criticism but I genuinely want to ask. How credible is this particular list?
It's a vanity parade and has no tangible impact. It's really not going to impress clients or your fellow attorneys. It's a nice tag to have to impress wannabe lawyers and other laypeople who aren't acclimated to the sham factor of these awards.
These awards are meant for narcissists to feel good about themselves.
Just know this: social media is a scam. Nothing is real. Well, some of it is but it’s really hard to filter. Some of those who thrive off of such empty formality awards and reputation are considered, sorry to say, almost worthless in the market. Any tom, dick and harry can start some random AW 30 under 30 tomorrow and have a distinguished jury for face value. Such boondoggles only appeal to the uninformed.
Lot of such lists around nowadays but probably the most silly and frivolous is the BW legal one. It starts right from the way they organise it to having senior partners of firms in the jury judge junior partners of their own firms. Hilarious.
A 49-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
Hmmmm. That means nobody from AZB or Luthra or Khaitan or Trust Legal or Karanjawala or Argus or Naik Naik must have been considered for the list simply because their senior partners were part of the jury. Oops.
Senior partners of big firms are obviously established lawyers. The Tier 1 senior partners will be on the jury for it to be credible. Ideally then no other lawyer from Tier 1 firms should be nominated for these selections for it to be unbiased. Only lawyers from tier 2, tier 3, tier 4 firms (whose senior partners are not on the jury) should be nominated. That means any top lawyer list will only consist of lawyers from small firms.
basically then if you want to make it to any of these lists - you should never work in tier 1 firms. Got it!
Tu bhi list mai hai haina? Bura lag gaya kya bro ki itne paise diye for this bejti?
A tad bit young now to feel bad. but good to learn from Li what to do when i grow up.
Nice try! Look at the list. Some of the firms are not even Tier 2, forget about Tier 1. The point is that there seems to be a direct connection between your senior colleague being part of the jury and you being a part of the list. It doesn’t matter how large or small the Firm is or what Tier it is at.
Worst part is that the jury of other law firms get access to confidential information and key contact details of the clients as part of the submissions - not good/healthy for those practicing in the same territory as they are competitors at the end of the day.
when one has to pay in 5 digits to participate for an award, you know how 'valuable' it is
I must admit, I am a nobody in this profession. I neither aspire nor profess to be among the so called "top lawyers." For me, law is a means of sustenance, and I am in this profession to earn a living.

A few months ago, I received an unsolicited e-mail from a reputed publication congratulating me for being nominated among the top 100 lawyers in some specific category (which I do not immediately recall). The catch was that I had to pay some amount towards administration fees and also buy advertisement space in their magazine, which claimed to have wide circulation. I could advertise anytime over the next six months. The whole thing was very glossily packaged.

Personally, I have no desire for external validation of my skills. The recognition that this publication was trying to confer was obviously in exchange for a fancy price. Needless to say, I took a pass. Now, when I see my peers and colleagues flash their "achievement" of being in the top 100, 50 or 10 in some specific area of practice, I cannot help but scoff. These awards just massage your ego if you are willing to pay for it.
Yup, in fact, if you want you can also negotiate group deals for say X number of chaps from your firm...
That's a good approximation of how these awards are handed out. Nearly all involve some kind of quid pro quo from the lawyer or his firm (usually sponsorship it advertising). Only a naive person would believe that these awards are even mildly independent.
I’ve got these emails too. And the best part is that they usually want to nominate me as the best IP, capital markets or banking lawyer - none of which are my practice areas :-)
Friends, please don’t say all this. I’ve finally been recognised by Legal Era. You guys don’t appreciate I had to pay 50k despite not getting my retainer on time.
Only if I could get my name in Chambers, Legal500, IFLR or ALB. These guys refuse to take my money for recognition. I wish there was a recognition or award for China Desk!
Genuine answer to your genuine question: All lists (of any publication) have nominees to select from, who have to fill in a nomination form. nomination forms need the nominees to describe their practice, their achievements, other recognitions, key matters handled, etc. etc. The jury selects from the total pool of nominees. That's how it largely works - it is a selection from a pool of nominated lawyers.
Every list is as credible as the other, except some publications have done this for long, some are more recent. But it is no cake walk for any publication to get senior lawyers to spend time unless they have some industry standing.
And then a "table-fee" is demanded and accepted to get this award. Nothing wrong in MICE industry earning from such award ceremonies. But let's face it, there is nothing analytical or merit oriented in these silly awards.
The way you can know if you have made it in life is not if you got one of these awards but if you are invited to be on the 'jury'.
I've also been named one of the rising stars in the Tatti under 30 list. This calls for a mega self-absorbed linkedin thank you post - hum hum hain, baaki paani kam hai!
These ratings don't mean anything. Lexygen managing partner Vijay is in a different league to these ranking. It's a firm to look out to