Read 29 comments as:
Filter By
2020 graduate here. Is it too late for registration? Has ever1 from 2020 batch registered already? Didn’t do it yet but the fomo is hiting now
There is no limitation period for enrollment. However, the sooner you get it done, the better. You will have to appear for the AIBE too after that.
Not too late, but better to do it sooner. I'm a 2016 grad and I enrolled in 2020 (corp slave life caused me to keep postponing) there's no bar. It might cause problems if you're in litigation and not registered. You also have to write AIBE within 2 years of getting state bar reg (at least that's what Delhi Bar Council requires).
Hello dear fellow Noojie.

I hope the profession is treating you well.

Could you please elaborate on the problems a litigator might face (apart from the obvious massive one that one can't make appearances, sign vakalat)
Don't know much but your seniority is counted from the date of registration. So, sooner the better.
What could be a bigger problem than not being able to sign vakalat and appear?
The parent comment clearly indicated that they are/were at a corporate firm where they didn't need to sign vakalatnamas nor appear.
The context of the question is obviously "what would I lose if I don't enrol myself and continue to work at a firm, and get myself registered whenever I switch to litigation".

Which I have already answered in another comment - eligibility for appointments.
Partner ne zyada daanta kya? Why so salty on the internet? Because it's anonymous? No need to be a male-reproductive-organ.

Agar 3.1 ki query padhni hi hai, it clearly says "apart from the obvious massive one that one can't make appearances, sign vakalat(nama)".

If your answer to "apart from X" is "X", you're not answering the query.

Regardless, you're being unnecessarily rude. I hope everything is alright.
3.1 reads "... problem a litigator might face ... ".
Now don't act like Hansa and ask for the meaning of 'litigator'. Btw, it doesn't mean an alligator who eats litti chokha.
Apart from what the others have said, you cannot technically sign any legal opinion that you've written either on your own until you get enrolled.
In-house chaps not only don't need to be enrolled, they are NOT ALLOWED to be enrolled (...)
Also relevant: late registration can cause troubles in positions/appointments where they want you to be practicing as an advocate for x amount of years. For instance, in panel enrolments or higher judicial services. Your time starts from when you get enrolled, not when you graduate.

So the sooner, the better.
That rule is not actually a rule.BCI has issues a clarification also for this. Please check.
There is also fraud. If you are practising law without a license and telling everyone you're a lawyer. Even if you make Rs.1. You could go down for cheating. Enrol ASAP.
If you have been practising for so long, you must surely know the difference between an advocate and a lawyer, right? Right?
Yes and you also do know that only Advocates have the exclusive right to practice law and provide legal services right? That's why foreign lawyers are not able to practice in India. In House is a function not practice. Firm is practice through and through. If you work as a law firm by definition you represent to people that you've been admitted to practice law.
Not as Associates practising law. Paralegals and CS staff need to me designated explicitly.
Problems which you'll face:

1. Not being able to file vakalatnama and make appearances. That shouldn't be a big problem if you're in a corporate firm. But it does come handy when you want to go to court, or a file an application for a friend/family/yourself.

2. Not being able to sign and issue legal opinions. Again, not a problem till you're a partner in a corporate firm.

3. Applying outside law firms/in-house roles. Since there are enough lawyers to sign on your behalf in a law firm, it's not a problem. But if you're the only/few lawyers working in-house at a company, they'd better expect you to be an actually registered lawyer.

4. GST problems for the firm - the firm requires your enrollment number for certain GST deductions and filings while paying your retainer. But again, if your firm isn't bothering you, then not a problem again.

5. Years of experience required for many legal posts (say senior advocate, judge, government counsels etc.) is usually calculated on years after enrollment. That might be a problem if you're interested in these posts later in your career.
Point 3 is sort of incorrect, most in-house jobs are as employees, that actually means even if you are registered as an advocate you have to suspend it. In practice, not many do but that is the requirement.
R - why are some comments here pending moderation for over 23 hours while some 2 hour old comments have been published? Ya toh publish karo, ya reject karo.
Is bar council registration mandatory for working in Corporate teams in law firms? Asking because state bar council registrations are also quite expensive