Read 7 comments as:
Filter By
Hi - is it easy to get into a good LLM programme in the UK as opposed to USA as a fresher? Majority of the profiles I've seen does reflect that.

Also, apart from grades what does it boil down to? I don't have many publications but have solid international work experience as an intern + T1 law firm internships. Is there a specific thing they scrutinise more?

Cheers and Thanks!
if you are spending your own money do not apply beyond oxbridge+lse in the UK

in these 3 unis, you would need min of 65% from any of the NLUs, a decent sop which clearly articulates what you want to do with your LLM and why you think you are suitable for a place in that uni, good ref, above avg cv which aligns with your sop

BTW, why do you want to do llm straight out of law school?
Nope - not spending my own money but would have to rely on scholarships/loans/other modes of funding. I'm not from an NLU but have a decent CV otherwise. Would that be a problem? On why I want to an LLM straight out of law school - multiple reasons tbh - working in the UK/US is the one, although getting to experience the culture there and coming back to India is always an option I'm open to.
While not being from an NLU is certainly not a problem at all (no foreign institution gives a flying duck about NLUs), I have to be that person to burst the bubble: the LL.M. will not be a pathway to a foreign career without experience. An LL.M. will make no difference, except that you would lose one year of experience in India which would be rather more beneficial to you for a foreign career than an LL.M..

All of this is assuming you do not mean working in the UK/US as being in academia. Then, what you said is perhaps the best way to go about it.
@OP: LLM is not a ticket to a law firm job in the UK or US, in my experience very few have been able to leverage their LLM into a job in the UK and all of them (unless they had a prior TC) had previous PQE and moved laterally or at a 1or2 yr disadvantage; also those people who made the shift successfully were preparing for it before they joined LLM, so please do your homework again.
Don't be in a lala land.

It's very tough to get a job in UK after LLM.

It's very tough or even impossible to get a visa after a US LLM - NO employer will sponsor your H1B.

Canada & New Zealand?

You will get a job and visa. But the job will be in an immigration clinic getting minimum wages. Immigration Clinic work is less satisfying than in a third rate lawyers chambers.
Just reiterating what others have already said. PQE is paramount. Chances of a person with good enough PQE but without an LLM>>>>>>>>chances of a person with an LLM without PQE. Simple as that.