Read 22 comments as:
Filter By
I’m in a tier one NLU (Top4) and day zero is coming soon. But my gpa has been really bad. But I’ve done quite a few decent internships. So how much can the low gpa reduce my chances of being placed next year?
Bump and also does only grades matter in these top 4 colleges or there is need of moots and publications.
I dunno what to tell you. Unless you’ve established a relationship with a firm you need to be at least in the top 2/3 of your class to get a good day zero offer.
The lower your gpa, the more important it is to make a good impression during your internships and interviews.

You need to hustle.
Only cam cares. No other law firms bother. Others recruit on merit and experience
What GPA is considered as low GPA and does only GPA matter if it is very good? Please don't judge me I am in first year.
What's good depends on what others score. It's not about the CGPA, it's about the batch rank.
I was wondering too if a cgpa of 7 out of 10 is good enough if you are from a private college
Wanted to know the same.Considering that people above 8.5 are in the 10%
If you are in a T1 NLU, you will get placed on Day Z for sure as long as you are in top 20-25 of your batch (of those who are sitting for placements on said day), assuming you don't screw up the interview badly. This is not to say that those beyond top 25 don't get placed but it gets harder. PPOs ofc are not dependant on your rank, unless well its CAM or SAM, and so expect 10-15 people to get placed before Day Z via PPOs.
Just a tip for the people who don't think they can land up jobs on day Z: start applying to places you have interned at/ applying according to your internship experience. I know for a fact that there are many vacancies across firms on the corporate side. Please write back here if it works. Best of luck!
I was in a Top 4 (Top 5 maybe?) NLU with an average batch rank (somewhere between 30 and 40). Had some bit of mooting experience and quite a few internships (non tier 1s). Was shortlisted for a few T1 firms. Got a job with one, mainly on the basis of the interview. From my experience, it is often very random the way the firms shortlist people for interviews, but they do consider the CVs as a whole, looking at all aspects (rank, moots, co-curricular, internships, etc.). Though there are some firms which are way more concerned with ranks.
Your rank matters, few firms won't shortlist you even for the interview if your rank is low. However, don't get disheartened by those few rejections, many indeed will shortlist you. Once you are shortlisted for the interview, the playing field amongst all shortlisted candidates is levelled to a large extent (though not completely). Prepare well for the interview, and be ready for questions where you are straight up asked "why is your rank low?" If you are able to justify a sub-par academic performance with a good extra-curricular/co-curricular experience, and an overall confident and congenial personality, I see very few reasons how this could not work out for you. Good luck!
Are grades important to get a PPO? Or is the internship assessment the only factor to ace ?