Read 26 comments as:
Filter By
I was not thinking of asking this question this early but I could not control myself. Is it possible for law students to start a non law start up. If yes then anybody having a slightest idea of how to start from 0 when you have only idea and no other base work such as making of site etc. is done. Also how much money it will cost to make a website and maintain it. How to add people with your project? Please somebody having an idea of all this reply . Any sort of help is appreciated. Also is it advisable to ask some of your college seniors if they are interested in such things.? Also don't restrict your answers to this only if I have missed on anything and you feel it is important answer them .
At my college (not an NLU) we had to sign an undertaking stating that we cannot start any business or a start up while still in college...
I don't know why I have 5 downwotes but I'm not lying and it's true
Vensy Krishna (NALSAR 2018) is a successful entrepreneur who founded her first startup while in college.
Prerna Gulecha, RMLNLU 2012, also has her own successful startup. She practiced law for couple of years though, before caving in to her entrepreneurial side.
Om Agarwal from NUJS started Eazyspade while in the university. There are other similar examples of non-law startups from the same place.
I wish because it could have been easier there as I would have something as a backup plan.πŸ˜…πŸ˜…
Pranjal Kishore and Aksheta Ashok (ex-NUJS grads) founded ODRWays (now known as Sama) as a startup.
But it is a online legal startup only I think. I want to do a non law start up would it be more difficult.
None can beat Prakhar Mishra (NLUO23), don't know how many start-ups he is running rn
I don't think anything which advertises to guide helpless and naive law students by using CLAT rank holders as teachers and in return earning money qualifies as startup, I'll call it a scammy model to earn money from young gullible students. Any law student or recent passout who tries to be a career counselor or a guide for entrances is simply the rock bottom of greed IMO, you'll find people do such things for pro bono and here we have fresh lawyers changing it into an idea and charging. An advice to young law students/ aspirants, don't fall for such things, life and people around you will do the same thing for you're being charged, nothing comes without the right time and without right efforts.
I wouldn't classify them as successful as of now but the guy is hardworking af. I'm also a subscriber of Success Boat (one of his many ventures) and I must say that the ones who are ripping the students off are not them but the coaching institutes. They charge north of a lakh just for an exam that hardly needs coaching (mocks are more than enough). He charges 1/10th of that and puts 10 times the effort, I wouldn't classify that as ripping off. And I wouldn't say that he is not motivated by wealth, he is. I wouldn't disclose much about it but he has used some unethical means to lure as much Student as he can. He is a hard-working guy and deserves what he earns periodt.
The HNLU guy who teaches about investing etc seems to doing pretty well off too
Do all people who associate with or advocate for it behave so carelessly as not to read the question before starting to advertise? The OP has clearly mentioned (twice) of his question pertaining to non-law startups only. If this is the level of diligence that (...) also stands for, then God help its (...)
Why is it that the organisation can be named when one is canvassing for them, but not when it is being countered? If there's a policy, then apply it uniformly in both the cases. Or else say that you are supporting the ad. (....)
As a law student who has a business (not startup) of his own, this would be my suggested course of action. Do not aim for startups in the first attempt unless and until you’re loaded with β‚Ή.

Step 1- Start a small scale business in law school which does not require massive investments. It could be a service based business. Providing service does not require investments and you’re being educated in one of the most elite field and institutions, I am sure that you have some service to provide to the largely and unfortunately illiterate population of the country. Requires A LOT OF LABOUR.

Step 2- Keep investing this money. And when you have a substantial amount, invest it in a conventional form of business which can get you a constant source of fixed income. This could be real estate or agriculture. My friend started growing and selling strawberries in Chandigarh during the pandemic. He is now planning to drop out of law school and pursuing it full time. Requires LESS LABOUR.

Step 3- When you have a constant source of income from step 2, you can aim for a start up. In my opinion, start up is different from a business because it has an element of uniqueness to it. This involves a lot of risk and labour. You need financial security which is why step 2 is important. Get as many like minded individuals involved in your startup as you can.

Good luck