Read 16 comments as:
Filter By
The working hours etc. sound hellish, but if you have basically 0 money and some loans to start out with, there is no option apart from this in law that gets you out of that semi-quickly. My question is about if anyone has succeeded in leveraging the law school skills (which honestly seem like a waste to me right now, prepared me for nothing but to be hired by a T1 because of the tag) to do something else, assuming I am not already great at art/ music/ etc. Is there an escape route for not well connected/ ancestrally wealthy people- what can they do if they leave law firms in 4-5 years? Need a plan to not absolutely disintegrate thinking my entire life will be the horror of a law firm where I can't establish boundaries and don't even have Sundays to myself. Open to any suggestions about creative fields etc./ or if someone knows of people who have gone into publishing/advertising etc.? Anything they've shifted to or something you can start working on now as you make enough money to be able to leave?
There is no point working in law firms for 4-5 years. Your 6th + 7th year salary will be equal to your first 5 years salary.
Thanks for the insight, the odds of a new career working out at 30 sound far worse than now at 22. Going to take this into consideration and think on it
22 sounds far worse than 17. What’s your point? Many successful businesses were started by people in 30s and 40s. Some even in 50s and 60s.
Fair enough but business might not be the option I'm thinking of
To me it makes more sense to live my twenties learning something i like rather than something I'm desperate to leave. Ofcourse, everyone will have their own opinion on this! Already regret the time lost on law school so I just want to avoid being 30 and feeling trapped again
Thanks HR. My sincere advise to all young guns here, AGE is NOT a HURDLE for ANYTHING in LIFE.
You can move in-house, both full-time or on a consultant basis and still make enough money to comfortably live your life (though I doubt you'd be increasing your savings, if you are working part time as a consultant).

However, 4-5 yrs is a reasonable amount of money to save, especially if you plan on moving out to a T2 or smaller city and not live in one of the big metros. You can easily save 50L+ in 4 yrs and if you invest it properly, it can grow reasonably.
I agree with what you've said except for the part that law school didn't prepare you for anything. The way a person starts thinking once they've been to Law school is way different than not. This is an intangible skill which you might have but can't notice. The skill to reason something critically from all angles and the skill to raise all possible questions on a given proposition or fact is an invaluable thing my man!
The point of this comment was to encourage you to not discard those 5 years of law school as total waste.
A 2-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.