Read 13 comments as:
Filter By
This might not be the most appropriate forum for such a question, but I have been struggling with this for the past five or odd months, so here goes.

I come from a well off family; thus, I don't have any student loans. . Parents have decent savings, investments, pensions and setting up a business; my brother is doing PG as a doctor. So overall, the family is at a sweet spot, have family wealth, generational wealth (due to grandparents investment in real estate), one of the kids is settled. The other (me) is in his 4th year in a tier 1 law college (which makes sure that as long as I work a bit, I will get something to start with). I am grateful for having all of this and being in a tier 1 institute, but the problem is being in this institute has not done much for me. NLUs are more or less corporate factories; they generally ignore other practice areas of laws. Even if they don't ignore it, the disparity between activities focusing on corporate culture and other practice areas is quite obvious.

In the long run, I don't see myself doing a conventional job; I aspire to be an entrepreneur and a writer. I have quite an active imagination and constantly come up with new story ideas; some of them are good, and some are quite bad, but I do write; occasionally, I have published on online platforms and have received great feedback, and I also write stand-up. I want to focus on building generational wealth for the family, help the community, and live a peaceful life, which I don't see happening in a law firm.

My parents suggest I go for the lower judiciary, and I have started preparing for the same. But I have a crippling fear of missing out, which has made it impossible for me to function optimally. I feel like everyone is going for a firm job; I should work for the same; however, on the other hand, my mind keeps on screaming that this is not for me. What should I do?
Oh no I'm privileged enough to do what others can only dream of but I don't have the guts to do it please help
You should have done MS in US. Engineers in tech are making crazy money these days.
Have the same question. And absolutely in the same place but from a good enough tier-2 NLU with decent placements. Law firm life or judiciary or anything else that pays well? Struggling from a long time. Please share your genuine opinions and don't troll.
Go into litigation for a few years. You'll find great ideas and inspiration for your writing.
Enjoy.

Work for happiness, since you have absolutely no need for money.

People get in on the rat race (Firm jobs et al) because for them money is the real deal. All that fancy talk of being excited about any law is just bollocks. It's a race for getting the biggest paycheck - no matter what path one takes or justifies.

If you don't have that compulsion, then pursue what you require for happiness.

Here's the roadmap for you:

1. Work for 2-3 years to get some work ex.
2. Go do your thing.
3. If 2 works, then do your thing better and earn more.
4. If 2 fails, then get back in the jobs market - you will have some preliminary experience to use to get back. That's why 1 is important to have, else you will have a gap with no work ex and the only option left would be litigation which is going to suck your soul if you don't have the inclination for it.
If you have money please don't join a firm. Apart from the money the job only has terrible hours, destruction of health and irritation to offer.
Hey, I have 4 years of experience (1 year with a tier 1 and 3 years inhouse) and am in a similar spot. Doing work independently with small clients on retainer. Going alright so far, but I’m still not sure if I have enough work ex to feel confident of my ability to handle this on my own + the ability to keep bringing in clients. As lawyers, we are trained to think of the worst case situation and also doubt ourselves (although what we put out into the world is a polar opposite of that). So I don’t really know if I would feel more confident if I went back to a firm to get some more experience.
Same boat almost- I joined a T1 law firm too right after graduation, my parents asked me throughout law school to take civils or judiciary but i refused. After 6 months, i quit the job and started preparing for judiciary (my parents had actually stopped asking by now, so funny timing). I realised that I have the support from home to be able to prepare for 2-3 years (max), I don't 'need' to earn, my parents have enough to look after me till i find a job that i actually enjoy- so considering this privilege, it made no sense to not give these exams a try and to instead slog off like a slave for the sake of that paycheck. In fact, I didnt hate my job as I had thought i would, it was okay-ish IMO- but still, after joining it, I knew exactly the kind of life all associates/partners end up living and it looked so horrible. I'm 24 so with no responsibilities rn, working late nights was still tolerable sometimes- but when i saw people in their 30s-50s with children, spouses, and aging parents sitting on outlook till 10 pm/2 am, it was a nightmare. I don't want that life - for myself or for my family. I can manage with less money (learnt after joining this job lol) but i can't do a life with late nights/working weekends till i die.
Still preparing! Also realizing now that cracking this is not as easy as people made it out to be before lol.
Try litigation. Join a good seniors chamber. And set up your own practice in the city where you’re from. Trust me litigation is very fulfilling especially if you do it in your home town. If you come from a privileged background, getting clients will also be pretty easy. Your friends and family will have legal problems.
No
1. Get a 2 3 job experience, write cat and get a MBA and choose some less insane working hour field

2. Get into academia, almost all states have law schools, heck number of nlus are increasing. As you are inclined towards writing too, it seems more suitable.

3. Public policy, think tanks etc

4. Litigation in your home town.