Read 4 comments as:
Filter By
Inspired by my other thread. These are things people in law firms just don't talk about and newbies like me are left wondering how on earth does the world work.

Background.

I work in a "lean team" with absolutely no free time. I'm a subservient pushover. My boss thus dumps me with a lot of work. Heck he might while leaving office at 7pm say, hey please turn this document which needs 6hrs of work around by early morning. I get called into office on all Saturdays and even Sundays. When there's barely any work. For FaceTime or whatever. All this is prepandemic in the city.

My first question, if anybody else has a similar set up. How does one go to doctors? I mean, I need some dental work done, it's not hurting yet. And some back pain and knee pain. And i need to change my glasses. Have some weird skin issues which need some form of consultation on a weekday.

Other questions

1. With such hectic hours, how does one do laundry and ironing? Last time in the city I used to pay a laundry guy to do it for me. Cost a bomb.

2. Cleaning the living quarters..

3. Cooking and groceries.

4. Furniture shopping? Ordered some second hand stuff once from local guy who ripped me off and in knew it.

5. Bank work? I needed to visit home branch for something. Put it off for 6months.

6. I'm not even bothering about having a life. I slept on Sundays. That's it.

Really is there no way to live without a househelp?? I don't like the idea of having a house help.

If you have watched Sorry to Bother You, these guys should really provide us with dormrooms. I'd live there, even pay for the accommodation. With housekeeping though.

I'll gladly wear a uniform to work, like the ones ICICI front desk staff wears. Give food in canteen. Keep us locked in during pandemic to avoid infections. Heck I don't even need sex anymore.

So long as all my other needs are taken care of, ill submit to this. HRs are you listening?
Points 1-3: house help is unfortunately the only way
4: depends on the city - not sure about other cities because I've lived in Delhi all my life but you can rent most things here from websites like rentmojo, or else take the metro to Amar Colony and get things for cheap
As for doctor visits, use your sick days. Take two days off, say you're sick, it's okay, no one's going to fuck you over for it. I used to work in a similar team (quit to do my masters) and the only way I could get anything done was by using my leaves once a month or so and making it clear that I would NOT be available. If your home branch of the bank is in the same city, try going out of office for an hour during lunch.
That's why remote work makes sense because you have family around to take care of those matters, while you focus completely on getting dough.